Amplifier Options: More than you thought possible w/ out the sticker shock!

slowereastside

Since nobody has asked yet...

How much for an integrated (3 inputs), 3 stage, single ended 300B?

Thanks

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
"How much for an integrated (3 inputs), 3 stage, single ended 300B? "

A 300b single ended, three stage integrated amplifier with good oversized iron will run around $1,900 and be tube rectified.  Price includes all tubes, the 300B's coming from JJ/Tesla. The circuit will include a high quality, high current choke as well. All sockets will be ceramic. Biasing will be via a combination of DC and cathode for high efficiency, best possible sound and no adjustments for the life of the tubes.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
Some food for thought:

How about a single ended amplifer based on a 3-500ZG, transformer coupled with a KT-88 or 300B driving it? This would clearly be a three-stage system! Output power would be around 100+ watts!

A push-pull 3-500zg system? Well- I'd have to say anything between 250 watts to 800 watts per channel or more is possible.

Just about anything is possible at Niteshade Audio.

pbrstreetgang

Very interesting on the 3-500z. Never heard of it so I looked it up http://www.rfparts.com/tubecomp.html They are expensive so whats the supply like and any new replacements for the future. How much would an amp like this cost?

Freo-1

Very interesting on the 3-500z. Never heard of it so I looked it up http://www.rfparts.com/tubecomp.html They are expensive so whats the supply like and any new replacements for the future. How much would an amp like this cost?

Besides all that, is this tube would be linear in the audio range?

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
"Very interesting on the 3-500z. Never heard of it so I looked it up http://www.rfparts.com/tubecomp.html They are expensive so whats the supply like and any new replacements for the future. How much would an amp like this cost?"

This tube is rated for audio service.

Some Spec's for a Push-Pull Audio Amplifier:

Plate Voltage ................................. 3000 V
Grid No. 1 Voltage ............................ 0 V
Peak Grid No. 1 Voltage........................ 100 V
Grid No. 1 Current ............................ 244 mA
Amplification Factor .......................... 160
Plate Current (Zero Signal) ................... 600 mA
Plate Current (Maximum Signal) ................ 1540 mA
Driving Power ................................. 25 W
Load Resistance ............................... 8600 Ω
Power Output (approx) ......................... 1420 W

I would run this in class AB1, so the output power would be around 800-900 watts per channel.

This is going to be developed sometime, but could be done immediately if someone wanted one soon. Amplifier weight is estiamted to be around 400lbs total and will have to run on 240v. It will consist of 4 rack-mount enclosures, two for the audio amps and two for the power supplies. Estimated cost is $35,000.  All components will have to be specially made, down to the enclosures themselves. Naturally, it will be shipped via a freight service.

A single ended version is estimated to cost $15,000 and will use a two chassis system and can run on either 120v or 240v.

Note: The 240v units will work in the USA, naturally. You would have add a dedicated line from your breaker box.  A 15 amp service wouldn't be difficult to install. I used to run a 1KW HF Amp on one and it worked great.

pbrstreetgang

Ah, I see we are talking about apples and garage doors on this one. The $175/tube doesnt really factor into something like this. I would love to see and hear it but couldnt use the thermonuclear reactor in my small listening room. I myself better keep focus on your smaller offerings  :thumb:

TomS

"Very interesting on the 3-500z. Never heard of it so I looked it up http://www.rfparts.com/tubecomp.html They are expensive so whats the supply like and any new replacements for the future. How much would an amp like this cost?"

This tube is rated for audio service.

Some Spec's for a Push-Pull Audio Amplifier:

Plate Voltage ................................. 3000 V
Grid No. 1 Voltage ............................ 0 V
Peak Grid No. 1 Voltage........................ 100 V
Grid No. 1 Current ............................ 244 mA
Amplification Factor .......................... 160
Plate Current (Zero Signal) ................... 600 mA
Plate Current (Maximum Signal) ................ 1540 mA
Driving Power ................................. 25 W
Load Resistance ............................... 8600 Ω
Power Output (approx) ......................... 1420 W

I would run this in class AB1, so the output power would be around 800-900 watts per channel.

This is going to be developed sometime, but could be done immediately if someone wanted one soon. Amplifier weight is estiamted to be around 400lbs total and will have to run on 240v. It will consist of 4 rack-mount enclosures, two for the audio amps and two for the power supplies. Estimated cost is $35,000.  All components will have to be specially made, down to the enclosures themselves. Naturally, it will be shipped via a freight service.

A single ended version is estimated to cost $15,000 and will use a two chassis system and can run on either 120v or 240v.

Note: The 240v units will work in the USA, naturally. You would have add a dedicated line from your breaker box.  A 15 amp service wouldn't be difficult to install. I used to run a 1KW HF Amp on one and it worked great.
I had an HF amp back in the day that squeezed 1.5kw from a pair of Eimac 3-500z's for bandwidth of 3.5-28 mhz (about $3000 then).  No idea what it would do in the audio range.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
I've had my eye on the 572B tube because it's a powerhouse like the 3-500ZG but easier to manage. The 572B is less expensive than a Tesla 300b and can do a whole lot more.

Tube technology has been around for quite a while, yet we're just scratching the surface of it's potential. That also means SS amplification is still in its infancy. Serious SS amps have only been around since the mid-late 60's, right? I see LOTS of potential for the market! Potential in the literal sense concerning tubes like the 3-500z that can handle a few thousand volts.

The best bang for the buck rests with the 6L6 series of tubes. Can't beat it!