1st order reflections?

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: 1st order reflections?
« Reply #80 on: 7 Nov 2006, 08:10 pm »
We're always open to suggestions as to a look that is more acceptable - seriously.  Unfortunately, size will always be an issue.  What specifically would you like to see if you don't mind me doing a little 'market research'?

Bryan

ZooDog

« Reply #81 on: 7 Nov 2006, 08:30 pm »
We're always open to suggestions as to a look that is more acceptable - seriously.  Unfortunately, size will always be an issue.  What specifically would you like to see if you don't mind me doing a little 'market research'?

Bryan

Bryan,

I never used this product, but the Furutech room diffuser is definitely a step in the right direction:

It is still large, but (IMO, at least) less offensive looking than a GIK or Realtrap panel.  The framed look helps, and if the color of the cloth on it was a bit darker I think that I could even integrate a couple of them into the room I posted pictures of earlier.  Having them on stands instead of mounted to the wall would make them easy to move out of the room when needed.

I think that many would be willing to purchase a panel that is slightly less effective as long as it looks nicer. 

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #82 on: 7 Nov 2006, 08:46 pm »
Thanks for your input.

The original GIK panels were in fact designed for the studio environment where budget is often tight and performance is paramount.    We have been exploring the possibility of something similar to what you posted. 

While it's understood that in this market, these will be going into living rooms etc. and looks are very important - we need to keep the performance aspect of the products consistent.

I'll pass this along to Glenn (actually, I sent him a pic of that very item a few weeks ago :D ).

Bryan

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
« Reply #83 on: 8 Nov 2006, 02:43 pm »
I never used this product, but the Furutech room diffuser is definitely a step in the right direction ... It is still large, but (IMO, at least) less offensive looking than a GIK or Realtrap panel.

I bet if you put ten of them in a room, with most of them straddling wall-wall and wall-ceiling corners, you'd change your opinion. As Bryan said, the main issue is the size necessary to be effective, and also that you need a bunch of them. Having a frame helps a little, and having a large choice of colors helps a little, but 90 percent of it is the sheer size and number. So what to do?

We have a new line of panels with a nicer look - beveled edges, the full depth is hidden so they look thinner than they are, and so forth. I can't do anything about the overall size, and if the spouse says "No way" then you'll just have to suffer with poor acoustics. But please blame your spouse, not me! :lol:

The other approach is acceptance. If folks are willing to look at a huge tower speakers, driven by a pair of tube monoblocks on raised platforms in the middle of the floor, connected with garden hose thick cables, then why not bass traps and RFZ panels? I am serious! I happen to think bass traps look really cool. 8)

--Ethan

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #84 on: 8 Nov 2006, 03:10 pm »
If folks are willing to look at a huge tower speakers, driven by a pair of tube monoblocks on raised platforms in the middle of the floor, connected with garden hose thick cables, then why not bass traps and RFZ panels? I am serious! I happen to think bass traps look really cool. 8)

--Ethan

Quit picking on me Ethan! :lol: :evil: :lol:

John Casler

« Reply #85 on: 8 Nov 2006, 03:18 pm »
For serious listening, (HF and Midrange), 3-4 panels could be placed immediately around the listening position (similar to my listening chamber)

This can be far less expensive, than lining all the walls, and ceiling with panels.

All you need is to be able to surround the listening chair.

The downside is that while less expensive, it doesn't address bass (lower frequencies) and still might not meet aesthetic requirements.

But it is more efficient.  Instead of addressing the "WHOLE" room, you address the listening position.

ZooDog

« Reply #86 on: 8 Nov 2006, 04:41 pm »
I bet if you put ten of them in a room, with most of them straddling wall-wall and wall-ceiling corners, you'd change your opinion. As Bryan said, the main issue is the size necessary to be effective, and also that you need a bunch of them. Having a frame helps a little, and having a large choice of colors helps a little, but 90 percent of it is the sheer size and number. So what to do?

We have a new line of panels with a nicer look - beveled edges, the full depth is hidden so they look thinner than they are, and so forth. I can't do anything about the overall size, and if the spouse says "No way" then you'll just have to suffer with poor acoustics. But please blame your spouse, not me! :lol:

The other approach is acceptance. If folks are willing to look at a huge tower speakers, driven by a pair of tube monoblocks on raised platforms in the middle of the floor, connected with garden hose thick cables, then why not bass traps and RFZ panels? I am serious! I happen to think bass traps look really cool. 8)

--Ethan

I was saying that just using a couple of the Furutechs for treating the first reflection points in that room might be acceptable.  Bass traps would be impossible to pull off without destroying the look of the room. 

For my own room I have no spouse to say no so I can throw in the GIKs no problem.  I even have horrible looking auralex wedges pasted onto the side walls!  I think I placed them incorrectly though and I might replace them with RFZ panels anyways.

Sorry Ethan, as far as cool looks go, I have to vote for tower speakers and tube amps rather than bass traps. 

John Casler

« Reply #87 on: 8 Nov 2006, 08:27 pm »
Large decorative Carpets and Rugs can also be "hung" in appropriate locations as "wall hangings".

As well, other materials can be placed "behind" those rugs to increase their effectiveness, while hiding the materials from view.

If hung professionally, the effect can be quite striking and do an excellent job.

nathanm

« Reply #88 on: 8 Nov 2006, 08:29 pm »
It's all about execution.  The subjective coolness or uncoolness of any treatment object is solely in the hands of the designer\person installing the things.  The pics Zoodog posted above are of a really beautiful room, but the way I see it, there's more aesthetic issues of concern than the traps.  And yes, the traps do stick out, but it's just cause they're white.  If they were in black or a brown fabric and framed with wood to match the room's paneling bob would indeed be their uncle.

That room needs something from the Tannoy Prestige line of speakers for sure! :)

If it was me I'd get the square soffit-type traps and install them around the entire room so there were no gaps.  That's probably the most unobtrusive method.  Big project though.

klh

« Reply #89 on: 8 Nov 2006, 09:32 pm »
I fully agree...

If you want somthing that doesn't stand out, use Ethan's Soffit traps for the lower frequencies. Cover as many of the vertical and horizontal corners as possible. Since the soffit traps look built in, they would be quite nice. For first reflections, use the FRZ panels. Something that may be of benefit is to have patterns as well as solid colors available. That may allow a more interesting approach. Sure, all those soffit traps and FRZ pannels would be costly, but also effective. As for the room shown in the picture, obviously that would be more difficult given the number of window. I think portable 1st reflection panels with a nice wood trim and a beautiful pattern would go over well.

klh

« Reply #90 on: 8 Nov 2006, 09:36 pm »
Another thing that would be nice is to make the Real Traps abfusor wider and have it have a tapered edge like the FRZ panels. Once covered with a nice cloth, particularly one with a tasteful pattern, the room would look sharp and sound nice. Having stripes of different colors and varying widths as well as patterns like paisly or others seen on expensive rugs would be nice.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #91 on: 8 Nov 2006, 10:56 pm »
Nathan, I'm interested in your idea that your product reflects back an even frequency response from the reflective side of your product.  What material do you use to achieve this perfect acoustic reflection where no frequencies penetrate or are absorbed by the material?  I purchased your Response corners, and for all intents and purposes, it appears to be a small cloth pouch of loose fiberglass or cotton with a piece of paper on one side.  I don't see how the paper could present that linear reflection that you are striving for. 

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
« Reply #92 on: 9 Nov 2006, 03:38 pm »
Quit picking on me Ethan! :lol: :evil: :lol:

Now you sir obviously have your priorities in place. You have big "gear" and attractive treatment panels. :green:

I do agree with Nathan's comment about "execution" because not all panel installations have to be unattractive. Photo below.

--Ethan

PhilNYC

« Reply #93 on: 9 Nov 2006, 03:43 pm »
Not to take this off-topic, but anyone know where to get a chair like the one in this picture?  I've been looking for something like this...