My home system.

avahifi

My home system.
« on: 15 Jun 2023, 08:06 pm »
Here is a look at my current home system.

A pair of DVA M750 mono amplifiers, our Digital Preamplifier, driving a pair of Philharmonic Audio BMR towers.

The sources are a Sony CD player and the digital output from my big LG smart TV.

Frank

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: My home system.
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jun 2023, 08:27 pm »
Nice looking setup Frank.  8)
JD

dB Cooper

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jun 2023, 12:01 am »
Frank, you've heard a speaker or three in your day...The BMR driver concept seems interesting and I wonder if you had any general impressions about its sound quality vis-a-vis other midranges you are familiar with? I'm thinking specifically of planars, almost of which sound 'brittle' to varying degrees to me.

And do the lights dim when you turn on the 750's?  :lol: 

avahifi

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jun 2023, 12:44 pm »
No turn on issues. All new AVA amps have soft start circuits. I turn on the two M750 amps and Digital Preamp at the same time from one remote control 15 amp AC outlet strip with no issues and no bad noises.

The BMR towers replaced a pair of Salk HT2 TL speakers.

Cables are all from Bluejeanscable.com.

There is a world of good digital music available free on U-Tube music channel. Just say “play Claire Marlo” into my Roku     remote sender and choose from dozens of her selections that show up on my TV screen, all in at least 44K digital sent to my Digital Preamp.

Frank

RonN5

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jun 2023, 01:43 pm »
Frank, do the bmr drivers, which function as midranges, sound more like a ribbon or more like a paper cone...in other words, can you comment on their overall level of clarity...which I'm assuming must be pretty good since Dennis is a great designer and since they hand off themselves to a RAAL which has that electrostatic type clarity.

Also, is the signal to your tv streamed or cable before being fed to the digital preamp?

Scroof Neachy

• I like to smell stuff
« Reply #5 on: 16 Jun 2023, 02:48 pm »
I would consider Bryston amps.

avahifi

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jun 2023, 06:51 pm »
Bryston comments belong in the Bryston thread, not here.

Obviously I would not consider a Bryston amplifier 🙂

Frank Van Alstine

dpatters

« Reply #7 on: 16 Jun 2023, 09:20 pm »
worst comment ever. Really?

Don P.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #8 on: 16 Jun 2023, 09:37 pm »

What are you smokin?

Lazeez

« Reply #9 on: 16 Jun 2023, 11:08 pm »
Hi Frank,
I'm glad you are doing better and on the mend.

I purchased a SET-120 and it is a great match with my Wharfedale Lintons.

jandrews

« Reply #10 on: 16 Jun 2023, 11:19 pm »
Very nice looking setup
Bet that sounds superb !
Very interested in trying the digital preamp in the near future

G E

« Reply #11 on: 17 Jun 2023, 12:15 am »

Bryston has a following but their Sonics for much of their line leaves me cold. The exception is the 28 squared mono blocks.

Franks old Omega 3 (high current version in xl280 shell was/is a much more gratifying music maker than the 4bsst-2 I had for a while.

Frank’s stuff is the best deal in home hifi. It takes A LOT of money to really get beyond it.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #12 on: 17 Jun 2023, 12:31 am »
Bryston has a following but their Sonics for much of their line leaves me cold. The exception is the 28 squared mono blocks.

Franks old Omega 3 (high current version in xl280 shell was/is a much more gratifying music maker than the 4bsst-2 I had for a while.

Frank’s stuff is the best deal in home hifi. It takes A LOT of money to really get beyond it.

Agree!  AVA gear is anything but sterile sounding.  In my system, AVA gear has great tone and a wonderful midrange.

artur9

« Reply #13 on: 17 Jun 2023, 12:51 am »
Frank, do the bmr drivers, which function as midranges, sound more like a ribbon or more like a paper cone...in other words, can you comment on their overall level of clarity...
I have Magnepan Minis (now, had other Magnepans in the past) and the CA Minx BMR cubes and the Philharmonic BMR Monitors.

The BMRs are definitely on the ribbon side of that spectrum.

G E

« Reply #14 on: 17 Jun 2023, 09:56 pm »
An old school chum of mine who appears here now and then has the M225 running his VMPS RM-2. It uses two neopanel ribbon-like mids and ribbon tweets.

I heard his system earlier this year and it was sensational. Cone drivers don’t have comparable speed.  I also have VMPS speakers, the RM-30 with 3 neo panels handling midrange per side.

jjss49

« Reply #15 on: 25 Jun 2023, 04:42 am »
lovely system frank

glad you are doing well, so happy to see you posting and in good spirits

Huskerbryce

« Reply #16 on: 3 Jul 2023, 06:35 pm »
Nice looking system.  Im leaning heavily toward purchasing a pair of 750’s.   Just trying to do all my homework.   Do you BI-wire at all?  I noticed the 750’s have parallel speaker outputs.  Is there any real advantage to using this feature other than ease of connecting the upper and lower driver sections on the speaker terminals?  Thanks.

Doublej

« Reply #17 on: 5 Jul 2023, 07:22 pm »
There is a world of good digital music available free on U-Tube music channel. Just say “play Claire Marlo” into my Roku     remote sender and choose from dozens of her selections that show up on my TV screen, all in at least 44K digital sent to my Digital Preamp.

Frank,

What app do you have installed on your Roku for this? Is it YouTube or is there a Youtube Music app? The reason for asking is that I have an old Roku with the latest software and all I can find is a YouTube app.

Carl V

« Reply #18 on: 5 Jul 2023, 08:47 pm »
Bryston comments belong in the Bryston thread, not here.

Obviously I would not consider a Bryston amplifier 🙂

Frank Van Alstine

I imagine the poster was being humorous.... I would think.

ajaye

« Reply #19 on: 11 Jul 2023, 04:54 am »

:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm not sure you understand the fine points of this particular collection of forums. But thanks for the laugh.