Transcendence 10 preamp comments

jedgar

Transcendence 10 preamp comments
« on: 14 Jun 2023, 04:02 am »
I picked this used 2016 unit up from AVA a few weeks ago.  Paired with AVA Synergy 240 (SS), driving Tannoy DC 4000s.  Also an Onix Rocket 12 sub.

Replaced an adequate Parasound SS preamp.  I've tried a friend's older AVA tube preamp in past and did not hear a significant overall improvement but kept my eyes open for a used, full-featured tube preamp for some time.  Then this showed up at AVA HQ and I took it home for my 30 day trial.

I was first surprised to hear a big big improvement when sourced with MacBook digital recordings to a cheap bluetooth receiver to the T-10 - sound stage and definition much improved. Not my usual source. (Listening to Sonny Rollins GO WEST Contemporary digital redos right now and they are wonderful!)

The differences are more subtle with Arcam CD player and Thorens/Dynavector sources.  I will say that all poorly recorded material reveals more of its inadequacies with this setup and well-recorded and excellent material sounds very very good. Well that's a price one pays for good equipment.

This differs from the Transendence RB (Real Basic) as follows.

This has built-in phono preamp that handles the moving coil output very well.  There is a mono switch that I have not tested enough with mono sources to find any difference.  There is an attenuation switch that I use because of the high sensitivity of the Tannoys. I've used my Massdrop/Sennheiser HD 6XX headphones  with the headphone circuit a few times only and they sound fine. There is a filter switch (unused) to dampen high and low frequency defects in source.  There is a source/tape monitor switch that I do not use.  Happy to have the mute/volume control remote at hand. With phono/cd1/cd2/tuner/blue tooth all plugged in, there is room for one more input.

And I don't care that the case is not black like the AVA Synergy case. 

PS - My friend Brian took and created the jazzed-up photo below and I can point you to him if you are interested in getting a copy (or a similar one with a trombone.)

« Last Edit: 19 Jun 2023, 03:17 pm by jedgar »

G E

Re: Transcendence 10 preamp comments
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2023, 11:54 pm »
Nice find and nice write up!

I’ve always been curious about this preamp but ended up taking a different path

What tubes came with it?

My personal experience tube rolling can make a big difference and sometimes a vast improvement.

I love my NOS tubes and current faves are pre 1956 Mullards. 12AU7 and 12AX7.

I also have a set of RCA black plates going back to late 1940’s early 1950’s.

The tubes are in a phono preamp.

These two sets couldn’t be more sonically different. The RCA’s are “chunky” and match well with rock and roll music.

The Mullards provide a much more sophisticated play. Oodles  of detail, decay goes on forever, soundstage so big it orbits the globe and shows up on the other side of the room. Well, I exaggerate some here. Violin , female voice, piano are voicing that benefit greatly

Funny, in an earlier phono preamp Amperex Bugle Boys were hands down winners and the Mullards sat unplayed. Bugle boys had a way of presenting female voice in that earlier phono section that sent shivers down my spine.  In my current phono they were not a good match. Shrill. Tipped up unpleasantly.

Grado “woodie” carts in play with a Well Tempered Amadeus table.

Anyway , worth a try at rolling tubes with NOS. I wouldn’t waste time or money rolling modern tubes.

My two cents.

jedgar

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jun 2023, 03:17 pm »
The stock tubes are 6922/ECC88.  My first venture in "valves" and I suspect I will wait till these deteriorate before trying others.  Frank avers these are the best for this preamp.  Glad to read your comments. 

Chazz5

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2023, 09:04 pm »
I have the RB10 without phono preamp; stock tubes. I feed it from a DAC; works great.

jandrews

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jun 2023, 09:18 pm »
I also have the RB10 with remote , no phono
It’s a sophisticated yet elegantly simple line stage that sounds great on the pre-outs and the headphone outs.
I’ve run the new JJ 6DJ8’s along with old Bugle Boy’s and RCA 6cg7’s