Pls help me decide betwn 4 M225s or 2 M750s for driving pairs of PS Audio FR20s

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
...or FR30s..  Considerations...

1. Speakers are PS Audio FR20s currently, but a replacement pair of the larger '30s is on the way.  Both models are rated at 4 Ohms, 87 - 88dB sensitivity, and are biwireable.  I already have EXCELLENT-sounding custom fullrange speakercables and additional cable for the bass end of the speakers IF I go even crazier and biwire or biamp them.
2. I use balanced interconnect cable throughout my system, so these 2 amps are the only current AVA amps I'm considering.
3. I'd like the flexibility of pairs of '225s per channel, but a disadvantage of that is having to use some sort of splitter to feed two inputs.
4. There is apparently no sonic differences between the two amp models.
5. Currrent poweramps are Atma-Sphere Class Ds rated at 100 into 8 and 200 into 4; I've had these for 6 months or so and am quite happy with them.
6. High dynamic range is not high on my list of musical priorites...which may cause you to wonder why I'm considering such hi-power amps.  I certainly am wondering!
7. Two pairs of  '225s are some-$800 more expensive than one pair of '750s, but that's low enough that I don't care.

I'm thinking that I'll order one pair of '225s, hear how I like them, and if I'm still crazy enough to want to biamp the speakers, order another pair of '225s.  Hmm...that's probably too sane for me!

What do you think?  (I realize that replacing my excellent-sounding Atma-Spheres with AVA amps is an emotional decision, so don't push me too hard with your logic.   :)  )

« Last Edit: 30 May 2023, 10:33 pm by jeffreybehr »

Freo-1

Go with the two M750's.  When in doubt, given both amps are quality, always go with more power.

I have learned this the hard way over the years.

avahifi

I suggest you consider two M750 amps.  They have two sets of paralleled speaker terminals each which makes a biwired setup easier.

Same sound as with the M225 amps but with even more authority and deep bass impact.

We have a few ready to ship right now.

Thanks for your interest.

Frank

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
FWIW, I have 2 new M750s on the way.. Received the new PS Audio M1200s yesterday. 

...and...just ordered that pair of used M225s.  Couldn't resist them...they apparently were calling to me.  😁

UGH!!  FOUR pairs of poweramps to compare!   :duh:

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
Frank, is either the M225 or M750 capacitively coupled? (NT)
« Reply #4 on: 1 Jun 2023, 06:55 pm »
(NT)

danielgk

• AVA engineer/technicion
Both the M225 and the M750 (and the SET120 and the SET500) are capacitively coupled.

Dan

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
Both the M225 and the M750 (and the SET120 and the SET500) are capacitively coupled.

Dan

TYMV.

I.Greyhound Fan

You may like the AVA amps over the Class D Atma-Sphere amps.  I heard the Atma-Sphere Class D amps in a friends system and mine and while they sound nice, they were nothing special.  I found the midrange too thin.  I reviewed the 225's and they have a fuller, richer sound and better tone.  Of course it is all about personal preference.  My friend that bought the Class D amps eventually sold them.  He also has a pair of the MA-1's which sound great.

Another friend of mine has the PSA M1200's and loves them.  He upgraded from the M700's.

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
You may like the AVA amps over the Class D Atma-Sphere amps.  I heard the Atma-Sphere Class D amps in a friends system and mine and while they sound nice, they were nothing special.  I found the midrange too thin.  I reviewed the 225's and they have a fuller, richer sound and better tone.  Of course it is all about personal preference.  My friend that bought the Class D amps eventually sold them.  He also has a pair of the MA-1's which sound great.

Another friend of mine has the PSA M1200's and loves them.  He upgraded from the M700's.

Well, THAT's nice to hear; TY.  I too like a bit of warmth, so I'll probably prefer either of the 'Ms'.  I was gabbing at lunch today that even if I sell the A-S Class Ds, with the M225s I'll still have a pair of small amps to take to Audio Club meetings.

I.Greyhound Fan

The only thing that you may find with the AVA amps in comparison to the AS Class D's is that the AS amps will have a wider sound stage.  It is one of the few things that I liked about the AS amps besides the bass which is excellent by the way.  I am not saying that the AVA amps have a small soundstage, it is just that the AS amps have a huge soundstage, at least in my system.

mr_bill

FWIW, I have 2 new M750s on the way.. Received the new PS Audio M1200s yesterday. 

...and...just ordered that pair of used M225s.  Couldn't resist them...they apparently were calling to me.  😁

UGH!!  FOUR pairs of poweramps to compare!   :duh:

Holy Cow have you got great amps coming!  Would love to hear your thoughts on all these when you get them!

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
Holy Cow have you got great amps coming!  Would love to hear your thoughts on all these when you get them!

Me too, as in I wish the comparisons were already finished!  This will be a lot of work for me.

EDIT:  Probably I'll be doing it one amp model at a time, determining how the newbie is different than the Atma-Sphere Class Ds.. I'm certainly not capable of making intellligent conclusions by listening to all 4 serially!
« Last Edit: 3 Jun 2023, 05:18 pm by jeffreybehr »

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Congrats on the new amps.  :thumb: I think you'll really like the M225's, I love mine. Can only imagine how it can be better with the 750's.  8)

figcon

I can't speak for your particular setup, but I own an pair and the M225's are great sounding amplifiers. If you can use the bi-amping aspect of the 750's, they sound the same as the 225's, but with more power and you have the budget, I would go for it. Best of luck.

mav52

What a cool dilemma to be in. Can't wait to hear your comparisons

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
The M750s arrived this afternoon and are playing music.

figcon

Nice and my M225's only took a couple of days, running 24 hours to begin to sound very good. Your 750's have more output transistors, so could be different that way. My M225's were a bit bright at the beginning and while not bright, they are very revealing power amplifiers. You look at these AVA amps and wonder what all the uber expensive amps are doing with all the extra stuff inside. Obviously pretty simple circuits and probably why they sound as good as they do.

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
My first impressions are WOW!  The first evening and maybe a dozen times I thought the music sounded EXCELLENT.  Beautiful tonality and wide and deep soundstage. I'm lovin' 'em!

TomBo

Jeffreybehr,
Your experience is proof that sometimes you just gotta trust...Congratulations! Keep your impressions coming!
TomBo Seattle...

motorbykemike

i'm actually considering 4 m225's to bi amp my ml theos , also 4 ohm

they would replace a b&k 200.2 s2 and adcom gfa5500 i am running horizontally now

driven through an old t8+ pre i picked up and have fallen in love with

let us know