USB DAC under $250

ooheadsoo

USB DAC under $250
« on: 18 Feb 2017, 07:34 pm »
Hi guys.  Repeated brownouts last night fried my Musical Fidelity V-DAC.  My makeshift HDMI solution using my TV as a DAC is driving me nuts with the high pitched digital noise it's passing through.  I need a fix!

So my budget is about $250 or less (less is better), should have a usb input and rca outputs.  I really don't want a headphone amp or any other frills, I just want that money to go into doing DAC stuff.  Searching through this forum quickly puts me into posts a year or more old.  Just wanted to be sure I'm looking at the most recent options.

My list so far:
Schiit Modi 2 ($99) or Modi 2 Uber ($149)
SMSL Sanskrit 6 ($110)
Objective DAC ($170)
Audioquest Dragonfly ($100)

As you can see...I take the part about less $ being better pretty seriously :)
I do have concerns about a USB powered DAC sending noise through, so points are granted for a DAC that deals with that.  Thanks for any input!

mcgsxr

Re: USB DAC under $250
« Reply #1 on: 18 Feb 2017, 07:50 pm »
I recently reviewed the iFi iDSD Nano LE.  Although it does include a headphone amp at the list price of $135, you don't need to use it.  I ran it as a usb dac/headamp, and also as a DAC in my main setup.

It can handle all kinds of hi rez, up to DSD.

I found it excellent.  Better by memory than the Dragonfly I had in the past.

You may also consider an HRT product.  I enjoyed the Musicstreamer II I had for over a year.

jpm

« Reply #2 on: 18 Feb 2017, 07:52 pm »
The cheaper Meridian DACs are on sale at the moment putting them into your price range.

WC

« Reply #3 on: 18 Feb 2017, 07:53 pm »
Schiit has their Modi Multibit DAC for $249, also.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #4 on: 18 Feb 2017, 09:00 pm »
Thanks for the feedback so far.  My concern with solutions like the ifi products that have a volume control is that I'm not sure if it's possible to completely bypass the control from the signal path.  I really don't want to add a potentiometer into the signal path if I don't have to.

As for the Modi Multibit, I don't do DSD, so the vanilla version and the uber offer big savings.  I like savings :)

I will seriously consider the HRT music streamer and Meridian DACs. 

Question: Any of you know if USB powered DACs will pass digital grunge through?  The MF V-DAC had its own power supply and it was silent.  I'm concerned that getting a USB powered DAC like the Meridian Explorer, HRT Music Streamer, or base model Modi 2, will pass through audible PC garbage noise like I'm hearing right now.

Anyone heard of these SMSL Sanskrit products?  They have a different DAC for $250 called the SMSL M8 ES9018.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PS0WLX6/ref=psdc_537344_t1_B00DNZMZTI

mcgsxr, long time no see.

WC

« Reply #5 on: 18 Feb 2017, 09:12 pm »
Modi Multibit doesn't do DSD either. It is just a different type of way to do a DAC than the Modi 2 which uses a delta sigma topology. Many people think it sounds significantly better than the Modi 2 or other delta sigma type DACs.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #6 on: 18 Feb 2017, 09:18 pm »
Modi Multibit doesn't do DSD either. It is just a different type of way to do a DAC than the Modi 2 which uses a delta sigma topology. Many people think it sounds significantly better than the Modi 2 or other delta sigma type DACs.

My mistake.  I'll keep this Schiit in mind.

WGH

« Reply #7 on: 18 Feb 2017, 10:21 pm »
I'll be the first to admit I don't know Schiit so I wonder if the powered models will work with a data only USB cable. I use a data only USB with my USB/SPDIF converter and have zero noise problems.
http://www.jmaxwellusb.com/

sonicxtc

« Reply #8 on: 18 Feb 2017, 11:02 pm »
For low cost, HRT is very good.
My vote goes to the Parasound Zdac gen 1 or gen 2 [The difference is simply not significant].
You can find them used near your upper budget.
No usb power required.  8)

This flies a bit under the radar and is a GREAT dac. It's not simply good or good for the money; it's a very fine piece of gear. Yes, there's a headphone output, but you aren't required to use it. Honestly, do your homework and check it out. It will save you needing to upgrade and avoid low cost usb power nasties, etc.

Good luck.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #9 on: 23 Feb 2017, 05:47 am »
Many thanks to all for your suggestions.  After looking at the possibility of buying used gear and deciding that I didn't have the time to take the increased risk that something might go wrong, besides the fact that they were also over my budget, I decided to get the Schiit Modi Uber.

• Fits my budget with room to spare
  • Has an external power supply
  • Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound
  • Not convinced I could hear the difference between the Uber and the Multibit
  • I fell victim to their brilliant marketing campaign

I'll keep you guys posted if it kills my noise problem.

brooklyn

« Reply #10 on: 23 Feb 2017, 06:02 am »
I’ve been using the Schiit Modi 2 Uber for almost a year now between my Mac Mini
and headphone amp. I like it cause it sounds good and it’s compact, great for my
desktop with limited space.. I think you should be pleased.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #11 on: 23 Feb 2017, 06:10 am »
Glad you like it in your headphone setup.  This will be for my speaker rig.  Fingers crossed.  All I really want at this point is for that high pitched squealing telegraph machine on speed to stop.  That's my bar. :thumb:

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #12 on: 23 Feb 2017, 02:02 pm »
Hi Oohead,
(http://www.parts-express.com/fiio-d03k-coaxial-optical-dac-digital-analog-converter--230-120)
  It's only 20 bucks but it solved my television problem of not having RCA output jacks on my Samsung tv. Now my tv goes into a 1964 Heathkit integrated amp (RCA jacks) and sounds tremendous! I bought this to watch and listen to You Tube concerts......Mark Korda....the specs are listed and they are very good.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #13 on: 23 Feb 2017, 05:37 pm »
If you end up not liking the Modi, give some consideration to the Emotiva Big Ego.  I bought one for my son to replace a Dragonfly and ended up getting one for myself because it sounded so good.  It is musical, with some warmth and good detail.  It is very dynamic with punchy bass.  It has a lush, smooth mid range and no fatigue or digital glare.  Adding a $50 Audioquest Jitterbug took the DAC to a higher level of refinement.  The pro reviews are spot on.  It plays music up to 384khz. It is built like a tank.  It has a mini RCA out.  My son uses it in his 2ch system with a mini rca to rca cable.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #14 on: 24 Feb 2017, 03:27 am »
Thank you for the additional suggestions.  I will keep this thread in mind next time I get in a pickle with the same scenario.

Good news, though!  Modi 2 Uber is kicking butt!  No hiss, no hum!  The music sounds good, too.  I can't say with any credibility how it compares to the VDAC, since the VDAC is fried, but...dang, this music sounds good!  Good soundstage, bass is full, mids are rich, highs are clear.  Running some Chico O'Farrill through the system now. 

I will say this - at first it didn't work...and then I realized I had muted my power amp before going about plugging things in!  :duh:

ooheadsoo

« Reply #15 on: 26 Feb 2017, 10:58 pm »
Modi Uber still working like a charm.  You guys may have more discerning ears than I do, but in my system, I do not think this is my bottleneck, by any means, although, in terms of price, it is certainly the most inexpensive piece of electronics.  Good deal  :thumb:

dB Cooper

« Reply #16 on: 27 Feb 2017, 02:33 am »

As an owner who did that exact upgrade, I agree with that. Since I have no interest in DSD, the Modi Multibit fits my needs just fine.

Richland

« Reply #17 on: 19 Mar 2017, 04:08 pm »
I'm going through the same situation, very good choice and good post.

thumblessly

« Reply #18 on: 25 Mar 2017, 01:45 pm »
Here's my list:

1) Music Fidelity V90
2) Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100
3) Micca OriGen