Can this room be salvaged?..

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Can this room be salvaged?..
« Reply #20 on: 5 Oct 2016, 08:41 pm »
Do you mean you left the speakers in one place and walked around the room to get those measurements? If so, that is not the best way to do things.

The beat way is to make a rough guess initially to finding the best locations for your speakers and listening chair (ears). You can use 'The Thirds' or perhaps 'Fifths' for this.

The Thirds is having the speakers one third in from each wall, and your chair too. With your room of 16' x 9' that would be 3' out from the 9' wide walls and 5' 4" out from the 16' walls. Measure to the centre of the drivers. Your ears would be 3' or 5' 4" out from the rear wall. It looks silly but may well sound pretty good. If The Thirds is not practical use The Fifths.

Having set up the speakers, put the microphone where you ears will be (including height) and measure. If your room is symmetrical and you can measure one speaker alone that will save you time. Get one right and the other should be the same, although you should check it anyway once you've found the best location.

Now draw on paper a grid and perhaps put tape on the floor with measurements on it. Then move one speaker about, both sideways and backwards and forwards, measuring each time and noting the position on the grid. Try big movements first - 6" say - then select the best result (s) and use 1" increments in that region.

Remember also that you can move you chair/ears. It's tedious work but should pay dividends.

The idea of The Thirds is to reduce room issues. That's why it is a good starting point. It can also give a remarkably good 3D image with the right recordings.

Once you've done this you can start looking at room treatment, or if that is not practical, DSP (Digital Signal Processing).

And note that you can mix the 1/3rds and 1/5ths.  For example my speakers are roughly 1/3rd out from the front wall and 1/5th from the side wall (I start with the fractions and adjust by 1/2" to 1" by ear).  So Hipper and I agree on theory, with slightly different applications.  I would try everything, it's free.

On the first question, could it be that you were moving your listening position and then measuring?