TPA3110 and TPS3116 amps

Markvdv

Re: TPA3110 and TPS3116 amps
« Reply #780 on: 30 May 2014, 06:57 am »
I haven't tried a "good'' powersupply yet. Improving a $15 brick with a $70 filter could work, but I feel I'd better try like a $100 supply first.

dboy

« Reply #781 on: 30 May 2014, 07:44 am »
dboy, I can give you information to try a better linear PSU, with or without Bybee Music Rail. The cost isn't free though, but less than $200. PM if you like.

Do you mean that the information will cost $200 or the power supply itself? :o If it is the first then I must be giving off the wrong signals. If it is the second then could you perhaps post the details for everyone?

I haven't tried a "good'' powersupply yet. Improving a $15 brick with a $70 filter could work, but I feel I'd better try like a $100 supply first.

Sure, only a suggestion - I will try it myself and report. These Bybee Music Rails do seem contentious to DIY folks (those who have not tried them anyway). I tried one when they were on special offer at Parts Connexion a few years back. Sounded about as good with a Black-Gated Charlize TA2020 amp as my Paul Hynes PR3Gap regulator (i.e. fantastic) but for less money. I have not tried it with a brick. I built a linear supply with a toroidal transformer, soft recovery diode bridge and a Mundorf capacitor. Expensive parts if you have to buy them in, but not many of them to get great sound. Still C&C overall! The $100 supply will be made with cheaper parts and you pay a company to build it for you and put it in a box, etc. Such pre-made stuff will be made to a price-point including hefty mark-up. Make it yourself and you can spend the money on better quality parts. But I have not tried those boxed-up regulated supplies so cannot say for certain which sounds better, only offering my limited experience/perspective.

Edit: P.S. If a regulated supply is definitely the way forward then I can only say good things about Paul Hynes, who has a circle here on Audiocircle, makes great products and was incredibly generous with his time supporting me with the installation of his regulators in my Buffalo.
« Last Edit: 30 May 2014, 10:04 am by dboy »

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #782 on: 30 May 2014, 10:20 am »
Just a note that Salis is following site policy for Industry Participants by not discussing his business matters in the community circles, thus the PM request.

Markvdv

« Reply #783 on: 30 May 2014, 10:23 am »
Well it is sale time again at partconnex, so they are a little less costly. Bybee does use fancy marketing language alot and sells some mysterious parts for very very high prices. The music rails are less mystical and cost less.

I am not sure if building a smps myself would be wise LOL so for better SMPS I definitely will buy a finished pcb. Funny most people immediatly think of linear when thinking of better. A linear supply will be easier to diy.

dboy

« Reply #784 on: 30 May 2014, 12:39 pm »
Just a note that Salis is following site policy for Industry Participants by not discussing his business matters in the community circles, thus the PM request.

Ahhh... Salis, please excuse my ignorance. Thanks for your offer, but I cannot afford to throw $200 at this at the moment, especially after ordering the M.R.

Well it is sale time again at partconnex, so they are a little less costly. Bybee does use fancy marketing language alot and sells some mysterious parts for very very high prices. The music rails are less mystical and cost less.

If considering it, I would get the 15A ones to use on an amp, even an efficient Class D. Someone else might want to chime in here, but I'm not sure the 2A ones will be enough. I couldn't see a reduced price on the '15A positive'.

You are very right about other Bybee products (which I am neither rich nor daft enough to consider). If you Google around on the Music Rails then there is a pretty good buzz from people who have tried them. I only tried mine in one circuit and it is staying there.
« Last Edit: 30 May 2014, 03:06 pm by dboy »

fredgarvin

« Reply #785 on: 30 May 2014, 04:33 pm »

As I sit here listening to my YJ 3 tube pre, and my stock TPA3116 blue board, I am truly mesmerized by this pair. The TPA amps are way better than any T-Amp I have heard, especially with simple mods. The 3 tube pre just makes everything so much better!
 I can't say this pair blows everything out of the water as I don't have anything better to compare it to, but I will say I agree with what others have said that the SQ from the 3 tube pre paired with the TPA3116 brings tears to my eyes. The 3 tube pre-amp is definitely not a limiting factor for the amp, it's an improvement for sure.
 These things are cheap enough, why not take the plunge and try the combo yourself?

I probably am going to fix up a blue board. It's just that I don't really need one. But playing with one, especially the price, sounds good. My experience with tube preamps has been, you get what you pay for. The little amps hit way above their price point, I know having had them in my system, but it seems that to get the best out of them, a better pre than those little cheapies would be best. However, I'm definitely deferring to your experience.

One thing I noticed with both the Dayton and Topping amps was that they did sound a little less veiled without a pre at all.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #786 on: 30 May 2014, 04:42 pm »
Just curious if anyone is having heat issues (thermal shut down) with modules and/or evaluation boards.....

Sound-wise, is there a clear winner for low-cost DIY Class-D?

If you have questions about Class-D in general, I'm open.  I've been designing Class-D amps since the 1980s, and it's so nice to see them getting more and more acceptance for high performance applications!  Thanks, and have a great weekend.

-Tommy O

Folsom

« Reply #787 on: 30 May 2014, 09:15 pm »
I was referring to parts, by the way.

These little guys really open up with nice power (and if you want any bass you need capacitance). Those used Aston units seem like a pretty good route. I looked up the schematic, and while it's excessive, it doesn't use some of the forms of voltage regulation I would utterly say no to.

lacro

« Reply #788 on: 31 May 2014, 12:12 am »
The little amps hit way above their price point, I know having had them in my system, but it seems that to get the best out of them, a better pre than those little cheapies would be best.

I see your point that these little amps hit way above their price point, and when paired with a better pre, they have much more potential. What I was trying to say is the cheap $20 blue amp (now $14.75) is pretty amazing, and truly "Cheap and Cheerful"  However, I feel the same about the 3 tube pre. I think it also hits above its price point, but you are correct, the amp has much more to offer with a better pre in front than the cheapie 3 tube pre has to offer a good power amp.

rhing

« Reply #789 on: 31 May 2014, 12:27 am »
3.3uF/160V Wima MKP10 caps are on the inputs. Stay tuned...

fredgarvin

« Reply #790 on: 31 May 2014, 04:13 am »
I see your point that these little amps hit way above their price point, and when paired with a better pre, they have much more potential. What I was trying to say is the cheap $20 blue amp (now $14.75) is pretty amazing, and truly "Cheap and Cheerful"  However, I feel the same about the 3 tube pre. I think it also hits above its price point, but you are correct, the amp has much more to offer with a better pre in front than the cheapie 3 tube pre has to offer a good power amp.

Thanks, you said that a lot better than I asked it.

OzarkTom

« Reply #791 on: 31 May 2014, 11:34 am »
I've been following this interesting  thread for some time. I'm wondering what you guys think about the cheap $50 tube pre's that some guys are pairing with these amps. To me it seems the pre has to be very limited in it's sonic qualities, in a way that the tiny amps are not. I enjoy my T amps and I don't find them very limiting even in my main system. I sincerely doubt those little pre amps would fare so well. It seems a bit dubious when on another forum guys rave about these little Chinese pairings 'blowing everything else out of the water'. I just can't imagine that to be accurate. The amps alone, possibly so. The Pre just seems to be a limiting factor for the amp. What are your thoughts or findings?

The killer pre for these little amps is the IFI Micro Itube with an Astron SL11A PS running at 9V. I know this will set you back $299 for the Itube and $115 for the Astron, but after you hear this combo you will wonder why buy anything else. It has huge soundstage, great holographic imaging, and very smooth and organic SQ. This combo will send chills up your spine.

Just ask tailspinrex and rodge827 here on AC. They will verify.

OzarkTom

« Reply #792 on: 31 May 2014, 11:57 am »
I haven't tried a "good'' power supply yet. Improving a $15 brick with a $70 filter could work, but I feel I'd better try like a $100 supply first.

I know many here are probably skeptical about the Astron power supplies, I would be if I had never used one. But when this PS stomps a $500 King Rex PSU and a battery supply set-up, it is a serious contender over anything else being made today. And you an get a brand new Astron SL11A for $94 plus shipping from the company.

dboy

« Reply #793 on: 31 May 2014, 01:27 pm »
I consider the high gain a limiting factor.

The killer pre for these little amps is the IFI Micro Itube

Been thinking a lot about whether to try the 3 tube pre, despite the doubts I voiced earlier. The IFI Micro Itube seems to be a unity gain (or 6db) buffer rather than a pre-amp as such. Just before OzarkTom posted this I was looking at the (much cheaper) unity gain 6n3 buffer that YJ sell, wondering if it would bring the magic tube warmth / impedance matching / whatever-it-is that is making folks so happy when pairing it with the TPA3116, but without the unneeded extra gain.

It looks like the same board can also be bought cheaper on Ebay as a kit for you to solder yourself - making it easier to upgrade the quality of some key parts. I'm quite tempted as after trying different digital sources with my upgraded blue/black board I am coming around to the idea that the TPA3116 might like an active rather than passive stage preceeding it.

Any thoughts?

OzarkTom

« Reply #794 on: 31 May 2014, 01:40 pm »
Been thinking a lot about whether to try the 3 tube pre, despite the doubts I voiced earlier. The IFI Micro Itube seems to be a unity gain (or 6db) buffer rather than a pre-amp as such. Just before OzarkTom posted this I was looking at the (much cheaper) unity gain 6n3 buffer that YJ sell, wondering if it would bring the magic tube warmth / impedance matching / whatever-it-is that is making folks so happy when pairing it with the TPA3116, but without the unneeded extra gain.

The Itube also has that 3D circuit that will make any system, regardless of price, more fun to listen to. Thorsten is considering on incorporating the circuit in his $25-35K signature Dac that he is currently working on.

dboy

« Reply #795 on: 31 May 2014, 04:12 pm »
Wow, always been thoroughly wary of things like that, but you do make it sound tempting. I wish I had more money and wasn't so hooked on some element of DIY in my projects! I'm in the UK and they seem to want much more for it over here than in the US.

Markvdv

« Reply #797 on: 31 May 2014, 04:51 pm »
I know many here are probably skeptical about the Astron power supplies, I would be if I had never used one. But when this PS stomps a $500 King Rex PSU and a battery supply set-up, it is a serious contender over anything else being made today. And you an get a brand new Astron SL11A for $94 plus shipping from the company.

Astron only specs 115V, Motorola produced by Astron are 115V/230V, only if the socalled identical Astron comes with switchable transformer like the Motorolas have I could try them.

dboy

« Reply #798 on: 31 May 2014, 04:55 pm »
Markvdv, I was looking at Ebay item number 111348429781.

The tube buffer you linked seems to have some nicer components. Is it perhaps a better design in other ways?

Markvdv

« Reply #799 on: 31 May 2014, 05:16 pm »
Somebody adviced me that one if i want a good buffer AND was not looking for a tube-eq but just a good buffer. Haven't bought it yet. I did buy a tubebuffer with adjustable 0 to 6dB gain, tiny, probably worse :)

And today I did buy a medical smps powersupply, curious if it beats the brick. http://www.mascot.no/admin/common/getimg.asp?FileID=1059