TPA3110 and TPS3116 amps

wushuliu

Re: TPA3110 and TPS3116 amps
« Reply #540 on: 8 Apr 2014, 02:03 am »
Soon I will get another board that will be just for comparing components. I'd like to try some Coilcraft inductors, switch all filter caps to wimas or better and change the boostrap caps on the blue board to the recommended .22uf X7R. I think the YJ has them at .1uf. As well as play with onboard PScap values and types including hybrid electrolytics.

I wish I had the technical know how to really work on these boards. I just know there's another level of performance waiting to be found.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #541 on: 8 Apr 2014, 11:03 am »
Do you think YJ is a manufacturer?

OzarkTom

« Reply #542 on: 9 Apr 2014, 12:09 am »
I just know there's another level of performance waiting to be found.

Here you go, this will do it for 35 bucks plus shipping. He just might take $30.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Astron-Power-Supply-SL11A-/171295708974?pt=US_Radio_Comm_Device_Power_Supplies&hash=item27e205172e

rhing

« Reply #543 on: 9 Apr 2014, 01:05 am »
Do you think YJ is a manufacturer?

I believe Yuan Jing, Sure Electronics and SMSL are all manufacturers. Why do you ask?

wushuliu

« Reply #544 on: 9 Apr 2014, 02:08 am »
Here you go, this will do it for 35 bucks plus shipping. He just might take $30.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Astron-Power-Supply-SL11A-/171295708974?pt=US_Radio_Comm_Device_Power_Supplies&hash=item27e205172e

Yes, yes, we know Tom  :lol:

That's not what I was talking about.

Markvdv

« Reply #545 on: 9 Apr 2014, 05:52 am »
I believe Yuan Jing, Sure Electronics and SMSL are all manufacturers. Why do you ask?
On Aliexpress I think you can find name, more or less, Shentzen something.

tubesguy2

« Reply #546 on: 9 Apr 2014, 01:35 pm »
Received my 2nd Blue/black board today. It came in 10 days  :thumb: which is half the time it took from Yuan Jing.

Just a quick note: I ordered direct from YJ on April 2 and the board arrived in my mailbox in Wisconsin on the morning of April 7.  :)

lacro

« Reply #547 on: 9 Apr 2014, 04:24 pm »
Just a quick note: I ordered direct from YJ on April 2 and the board arrived in my mailbox in Wisconsin on the morning of April 7.  :)

5 days that's amazing, must be they are reading this forum :lol: I have had problems with two different China direct sellers. I will only buy from E-bay sellers with a good record. YMMV

lacro

« Reply #548 on: 13 Apr 2014, 07:26 pm »
Powered my second (un-modded) blue board with a 24V PS. WOW!! this thing really sings now.. The chip is getting quite warm, but I don't care, it sounds so much better with the 24V PS. If 24V sounds this good, I wonder what the sweet spot 21V PS sounds like?

rhing

« Reply #549 on: 13 Apr 2014, 10:29 pm »
Powered my second (un-modded) blue board with a 24V PS. WOW!! this thing really sings now.. The chip is getting quite warm, but I don't care, it sounds so much better with the 24V PS. If 24V sounds this good, I wonder what the sweet spot 21V PS sounds like?

How confident are you that your power supply is putting out 24V and no more? I only ask, because some power supplies fluctuate and can peak beyond the limit of the amp's capability. Just know that heat is never a good thing for electronics, especially IC's. If you think about it, these amps are 90 percent efficient, so the quality of the power from the power supply is a large factor in sound quality. As others have mentioned, investing in something better than a brick-type SMPS will be more rewarding.

lo_tse

« Reply #550 on: 13 Apr 2014, 10:38 pm »
The blue board has the correct output filter recommended by TI. Go with the blue board.

The blue YJ board has 10 uH inductor since it is targetting load impedance of 4 ohm (that's what the 50 W claim is for) .  The red YJ  board (which I am using) use 22 uH inductors and is more suitable for 8 ohm load.  However, I do not think it is that critical since many people that are using boards with 10 uH inductors are driving 8 ohm speakers and I have not heard much complaints. In theory ( you can look up the equation in the TI or STM articles on LC filters for Class D amp), one can change both inductor and capacitor values to tailor the filter characteristics.  In practice it is more convenient to keep one component value (e.g. cap value) constant (depending on availability and price) and change the other (the inductor).  In this case,  higher the load impedance,  higher the inductor value (the two articles that I referred to has a more detailed explanation) in order  to maintain a similar frequency response (the corner frequency of this low pass filter).

However, it seems that the blue YJ board uses better components and no SMD ( great for modding), therefore it is a better choice (my view).  Regardless, these little amps are great!

Regards,

lacro

« Reply #552 on: 13 Apr 2014, 11:45 pm »
How confident are you that your power supply is putting out 24V and no more? I only ask, because some power supplies fluctuate and can peak beyond the limit of the amp's capability. Just know that heat is never a good thing for electronics, especially IC's. If you think about it, these amps are 90 percent efficient, so the quality of the power from the power supply is a large factor in sound quality. As others have mentioned, investing in something better than a brick-type SMPS will be more rewarding.

Rich,
 I understand your consern. My DMM shows 24.5V entering the amp. Here's the suppliers info: Wide Voltage Range: DC 4.5V ~ 26V
Recommended Voltage: DC 24V / 2 ~ 6A. I know heat is not a good thing which is why I mentioned it. I do intend to invest in a better PS which I hope will not produce as much heat. What I was trying to say was the higher voltage SMPS dramatically changes SQ compared to using a 12V SMPS. However, I am aware that there are better 12V PS's than brick type SMPS. Thanks for your input, it's always appreciated...

lo_tse

« Reply #553 on: 14 Apr 2014, 12:16 am »
Upgraded blue board is now available.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TPA3116-Class-D-2-0-Stereo-Power-Amplifier-Board-Panasonic-FC-and-Solen-MKP-Cap-/111325383447?pt=US_Amplifier_Parts_Components&hash=item19eb828b17

Interesting!! Correct me if I am wrong, this look like a modded YJ blue board.  I think Hiamplifier (the EBAY seller) is following this and/or the diyaudio thread.  He actually replaces the caps that most people like to substitute.  May be we just spell out what parts we like to change and he will do it for us - great service  :thumb:!!

Regards,

rhing

« Reply #554 on: 14 Apr 2014, 01:13 am »
I am interested in what people will think of these amps. Solen MKP caps aren't on the top of my list of cap choices. He would have been better off with Mundorf MKP or Wima MKP10 caps for a smoother sound. That said, the stock Epcos MKP X2 caps on the YJ board are pretty smooth--smoother than Solens or their related Axon MKP caps.

Doublej

« Reply #555 on: 14 Apr 2014, 02:17 am »
If Hiamplifier is following this thread he should make it easy to purchase any or all of the following:

board
connector cable for the power jack
connector cable for the input rca jack
pair of speaker terminals
standoffs
power switch
case

One supplier with everything you need.

Oscillate

« Reply #556 on: 14 Apr 2014, 03:47 am »
"...with a 24V PS. WOW!! this thing really sings now.. The chip is getting quite warm,..."

"Just know that heat is never a good thing for electronics, especially IC's."

How are they securing the aliminum heat sink onto the TPA3116D2 chip?
Are they using an adhesive thermal pad or something else? Although it
may not be the best solution to heat, perhaps replacing the factory heat
sink with a polished copper one that is adhered with Artic 5 and a phyical
clamp might ne good? ...Like you would use with the CPU and heatsink on
a motherboard.

wushuliu

« Reply #557 on: 14 Apr 2014, 03:50 am »
If Hiamplifier is following this thread he should make it easy to purchase any or all of the following:

board
standoffs
power switch
case

?

Or just order the fully assembled and enclosed amplifier direct from YJ...

Doublej

« Reply #558 on: 14 Apr 2014, 10:25 am »
?

Or just order the fully assembled and enclosed amplifier direct from YJ...

But then I would expect a remote too!

MCM_Fan

« Reply #559 on: 14 Apr 2014, 06:44 pm »

board
standoffs
power switch
case

Once you add in the case (and/or a power supply) the cost of shipping goes WAY up.  It's still not a bad deal, just not as cheap and cheerful as DIY.  A kit that offered everything BUT the case and power supply would be great - no soldering skills required, and the shipping costs would still be reasonble.  You'd still need to build/supply your own case, but if you're reasonably competent with a drill, or better yet, have access to a drill press, it's not too bad.