TPA3110 and TPS3116 amps

rajacat

• Washington State
Re: TPA3110 and TPS3116 amps
« Reply #440 on: 28 Mar 2014, 09:17 pm »
Rated Output Power:  [Stereo] 2 x 50W @ 4 Ohm, [Mono] 1 x100W @ 2Ohm

Hmm... anybody know what the rated output would be for mono @8 ohms?

lacro

« Reply #441 on: 28 Mar 2014, 09:27 pm »
If I'm feeling less lazy I'll pull it out and take a pic.

We're talking about my amp right?

ba dum bum!

:lol:

lacro

« Reply #443 on: 28 Mar 2014, 09:43 pm »
So here's my 3116 build. Pretty sloppy but since I am always tinkering I tend to leave things messy.

The sound quality of these amps can't be overstated.

Holy shirt Batman!! You sure like doing mods :thumb: Thanks for sharing! The bank of caps on the DC power input looks like they are different brands and different values? Are they just ones you had lying around? Most of all do they make a significant difference in SQ?

Lacro

wushuliu

« Reply #444 on: 28 Mar 2014, 10:23 pm »
Holy shirt Batman!! You sure like doing mods :thumb: Thanks for sharing! The bank of caps on the DC power input looks like they are different brands and different values? Are they just ones you had lying around? Most of all do they make a significant difference in SQ?

Lacro

Yes just caps I had on hand. I do think having a reserve of PS caps helps with SQ. How many and what values is another question. Power supply configuration does impact SQ and I think more experimentation needs to be done in this regard. Input caps I think are more subtle once you use polyprop or better.

I think this is about as far as I'll go with this 3116. Next step will be build mono boards, replace output filters with ferrite beads and install as close to the speakers as possible to minimize cable length. But that may be a little while. For now I intend to enjoy this truly amazing amp. I think I can say with certainty now that it outperforms the TBI Millenia.

rhing

« Reply #445 on: 29 Mar 2014, 12:07 am »
Wow! That's quite a claim to make, but you have first-hand experience with auditioning the TBI Millenia. All I know is that even with loading these amps with mods and put them in nice enclosures, you still end up with an amp that can compete with amps costing much, much more.

BTW, I thought those Radio Shack blue film caps were metallized Polyester, not metallized Polypropylene. In any case, they are a well-kept secret bargain in the audio world. I actually prefer those over Obbliggato film caps. I have some in my stash and I'll put those on my amp where the smaller 1uF / 63V blue box caps sit at the inputs (LINN and RINN according the Texas Instruments data sheet).

wushuliu

« Reply #446 on: 29 Mar 2014, 12:26 am »
Wow! That's quite a claim to make, but you have first-hand experience with auditioning the TBI Millenia. All I know is that even with loading these amps with mods and put them in nice enclosures, you still end up with an amp that can compete with amps costing much, much more.

BTW, I thought those Radio Shack blue film caps were metallized Polyester, not metallized Polypropylene. In any case, they are a well-kept secret bargain in the audio world. I actually prefer those over Obbliggato film caps. I have some in my stash and I'll put those on my amp where the smaller 1uF / 63V blue box caps sit at the inputs (LINN and RINN according the Texas Instruments data sheet).

I already swapped out 2 of the RS and put in 1uf AMPohm ALuminum PIO. Yum! Maybe the RS are polyester I've had them so long I don't remember how I heard about them or maybe I saw them while rummaging for switches and fuses at the local store and just grabbed a few. Anyhoos yes they're great. They really get out of the way.

I thought the TBI sounded about the same as the stock 3100D2 eval board it's based on. Very good but not better than an optimized 3110 or 3116 to my ears, with emphasis on optimized.

The RS caps are readily available at the local store and CHEAP!

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102515

lacro

« Reply #447 on: 29 Mar 2014, 01:46 pm »
Does anyone have a suggestion for a good C&C shielded cable that I use for signal input wiring on these amps, AND also be able to use the same cable to make short IC's for connecting Pre/Amp/DAC. Something that is flexible, and small diameter that can be bought by the foot?

shadowlight

« Reply #448 on: 29 Mar 2014, 02:27 pm »
Does anyone have a suggestion for a good C&C shielded cable that I use for signal input wiring on these amps, AND also be able to use the same cable to make short IC's for connecting Pre/Amp/DAC. Something that is flexible, and small diameter that can be bought by the foot?

I purchased the shielded cable from http://www.apexjr.com/wire.html but have not used it yet.  I believe Jim McShane has something similar.

OzarkTom

« Reply #449 on: 29 Mar 2014, 02:52 pm »
I already swapped out 2 of the RS and put in 1uf AMPohm ALuminum PIO. Yum! Maybe the RS are polyester I've had them so long I don't remember how I heard about them or maybe I saw them while rummaging for switches and fuses at the local store and just grabbed a few. Anyhoos yes they're great. They really get out of the way.

I thought the TBI sounded about the same as the stock 3100D2 eval board it's based on. Very good but not better than an optimized 3110 or 3116 to my ears, with emphasis on optimized.

But you never heard the TBI with the PPS caps or power supply mod. Those factory mods made a world do difference in the overall sound.

wushuliu

« Reply #450 on: 29 Mar 2014, 04:25 pm »
But you never heard the TBI with the PPS caps or power supply mod. Those factory mods made a world do difference in the overall sound.

I've used PPS caps (both discontinued Wima, Panasonic, and SMD types) on previous builds. Not my cup of tea but maybe TBI got hold of some particularly good ones. I'd be curious to know the power supply mod. Some kind of CRC filter I think it was?

On the flip side the TBI comes with basic small value PS caps (470uf IIRC). I think you need at least 1000 to get real body out of the amp. Not sure why that is not offered as an upgrade. Just about everyone who's beefed up PS value agrees it improves sound quality. Preferably Elna Silmic or Nichicon Muse. Different inductors make a difference as well.

Unless that CRC filter really takes things to a whole other level I'm confident the stock YJ TPA3116 black and blue board is at least as good.

wushuliu

« Reply #451 on: 29 Mar 2014, 04:54 pm »
I purchased the shielded cable from http://www.apexjr.com/wire.html but have not used it yet.  I believe Jim McShane has something similar.

For those who are not fans of silver-plated wire Gepco/Redco is another option. Quick delivery. Many options.

http://www.redco.com/Gepco-XB401.html

OzarkTom

« Reply #452 on: 29 Mar 2014, 05:27 pm »
The PPS caps than Jan used on the TBI is brand new, military spec, no other company has tried these yet.

lacro

« Reply #453 on: 29 Mar 2014, 07:12 pm »
For those who are not fans of silver-plated wire Gepco/Redco is another option. Quick delivery. Many options.

http://www.redco.com/Gepco-XB401.html

Wushuliu...
 When using the type of cable in your link, how is it connected? The 2 conductors I assume are used for one channel and ground, but how is the drain wire and braid connected? Does the drain wire go to ground on one end or both? Also, would this cable be a good choice for unbalanced IC's with RCA terminations?  Redco is close to me so shipping would be quick.

wushuliu

« Reply #454 on: 29 Mar 2014, 07:23 pm »
Wushuliu...
 When using the type of cable in your link, how is it connected? The 2 conductors I assume are used for one channel and ground, but how is the drain wire and braid connected? Does the drain wire go to ground on one end or both? Also, would this cable be a good choice for unbalanced IC's with RCA terminations?  Redco is close to me so shipping would be quick.

Drain wire to ground at the rca input.

I haven't made ICs with them yet but intend to soon.

OzarkTom

« Reply #455 on: 29 Mar 2014, 08:55 pm »
I see that Ten tec 937 sold on Ebay. I hope it was from someone here on AC. After spending about 20 months using battery on the TBI, last four months with the Ten Tec 937, I will never go back to battery. The improvement is very obvious.

MCM_Fan

« Reply #456 on: 29 Mar 2014, 09:03 pm »

So, I've order three of these blue/black TPA3116 2.0 boards that I plan to mod and put into cases.  Any strong preference for these Radio Shack metal film caps vs these Wima polypropylene film caps from Mouser:

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=MKP1F041005I00JYSDvirtualkey50520000virtualkey505-M101.0%2f250%2f5

The Radio Shack caps are a little cheaper (and I'm a cheapskate), but not by a whole lot ($1.99 each vs. $2.76 each).  Not that it really matters, but the blue color matches the board nicely.  I have a shopping cart of parts at Mouser ready to pull the trigger, then I came across this thread.  Check the Radio Shack web site and the local store, that I drive right past every day on my way to and from work, has them in stock.  Maybe I should try modding one board with each and do an A/B test to see if I can hear any difference.
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2014, 06:32 am by MCM_Fan »

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #457 on: 29 Mar 2014, 09:49 pm »
Redco is a very good US vender.
Gepco is a good bulk cable manufacture.

For RCA analog interconnects use a coax with specs similar to the Blue Jeans LC-1 cable.

rodge827

« Reply #458 on: 29 Mar 2014, 10:28 pm »
I see that Ten tec 937 sold on Ebay. I hope it was from someone here on AC. After spending about 20 months using battery on the TBI, last four months with the Ten Tec 937, I will never go back to battery. The improvement is very obvious.

It will be in my possession sometime next week.  8)

Thanks for the heads up Tom.  :thumb:

OzarkTom

« Reply #459 on: 30 Mar 2014, 02:05 am »

On the flip side the TBI comes with basic small value PS caps (470uf IIRC). I think you need at least 1000 to get real body out of the amp.

No problems here with body on the TBI. In fact if I get anymore body, the TBI would sound like a trannie tube amp, too much. This is on speakers like Zellaton Emotions, Rethm Maargas, Rethm Trishnas, KEF LS50's, Pioneer 22's, and Dennis Murpheys modded 22's. For the source, I am using the AMR DP777 and Sony HAP-Z1ES. This Z1 is making the TBI sound even more incredible.

Here is a new listing on Aiudiogon for a used TBI amp for $350 if anyone is looking for one.

http://dcn6dj2nji5qr.cloudfront.net/listings/solid-state-tbi-audio-systems-millenia-mg3-integrated-amplifier-2014-03-29-integrateds-92115