"Canned" lights let music bleed to floor above...h

Marbles

« on: 10 May 2004, 02:08 pm »
My ref system is in a finished basement.  In the ceiling are canned lights.

It seems like the music bleeds through to the floor above through or near where the lights are.

The problem is my wife watches TV in this room and is not ammused when I turn up the SPL's.

Anything I can do to tone down the bleedthrough?

Woodsea

« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2004, 04:21 pm »
I would think that you would have to take out the cans and place a fire resistant sounddampening material as wide as possible.  Then replace the cans.  They have vents for heat dispersion, and are made from really thin metal.
Unless they have acoustic light cans, of which I have never heard.
Good luck, I have sympathy for your wife.  But envious of your own room.

ohenry

« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2004, 04:56 pm »
You may want to consider dampening the sound from her perspective by adding a layer of dampening material under a rug or carpet.  I suppose the possibilities depend upon the flooring situation in her room.  Done properly, that may score points for you by providing an upgrade to the space (new rugs or carpet) while reducing unwanted noise.

I'm not experienced enough regarding this to recommend a product,  I just thought it may be an avenue for you to explore. . .

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2004, 03:05 am »
Marbles, I got the answer to your problem. For you wife - and have it gift wrapped....and happy listening .... http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00009EG70/104-6619687-4741502?v=glance. :)

Marbles

« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2004, 03:16 am »
:mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

Actually we have a pair of those, or something similar that came with the WEGA XBR in that room.

If I even suggested it though I'm sure Mrs marbles would suggest this for me

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2004, 03:19 am »
Perhaps, a few nice diamonds on the headband would do the trick. Worth a shot !! :lol:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2004, 02:07 am »
I'm planning to build a listening room with recessed can light fixtures, so you've reminded meto specify cans that are designed to be in contact with blown insulation.  The (crummy) alternative is to build a chicken wire cage to keep the insulation away from the can.

Another aid would be to use gauge metal "Z" strips to isolate the floor joists from a drywall ceiling.