Live in HD

Phil_S

Live in HD
« on: 20 Jun 2013, 02:27 am »
Just got back from seeing Carmen Live in HD from the Met.  This was a re-screening of the Jan 16 2010 broadcast.  I gotta say that Elina Garanca was spellbinding.  This was an outstanding production IMO.  The sound quality left a bit to be desired.  In all fairness 99% of what I listen to is vinyl and my modest rig beats the pants off of the movie theater as far as transparancy & outright dynamics.  That was a bit dissapointing however the performance more than made up for it.

See it!

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: Live in HD
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2013, 12:56 pm »
How did I miss this post?  :oops:

Welcome to Audio Circle, Phil -- a  fellow audiophile who is into vinyl and opera in the same area. :thumb:   We gotta get together.

I haven't actually gone to see any of the Live in HD and one of the reason is for the sound quality issue.  I absolutely prefer live sound especially since opera is not amplified.  I want to see one to see what it's like. 

Which theater did you Carmen in?  My closest would by AMC Tysons.

Phil_S

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jul 2013, 07:06 pm »
Thanks for the welcome.

We go the the Hoffman AMC here in Alexandria.  Hoping to see La Traviata tonight with Natalie Dessay, looks like a "modern" production rather than the usual period pieces.  Most of my opera experience is via some kind of play back as live is very expensive when you don't plan far in advance.  I regularly listen to the Met Saturday broadcasts and when they broadcast live from the Met on WETA. 

If the theater had some MAC 275's and a pair of VOTC's it would sound much better.  I suspect that the source material may be compromised although I don't have a DVD if the performance...yet

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jul 2013, 03:22 pm »
Did you get to see Traviata?  I checked out this YouTube excerpt with Dessay and Hvorostovsky.
Is this the one you had in mind?

I like Natalie just fine but I don't think Germont is the best role for Dmitri.  His constant scowl over his deep set eyes (reminding you of Dolf Lundgren) make him look menacing -- more Scarpia than Germont.

I would like to see this year's version with Damrau and Domingo as Germont -- his debut at the role at age 72.  Not bad, at that age.  It's like listening to those Johny Cash Americana albums where he sings with weariness of a wizened soul.  His voice may be hanging by tethers but every note packs emotional punch that wallops you in the gut.   

I saw Diana Damrau last year at a concert where she was only accompanied by a harpist.  She has one gorgeous voice.  Critics liked her debut as Violetta.  I like to see it.
« Last Edit: 19 Jul 2013, 05:12 pm by woodsyi »