Best 60's and 70's for the money cd or vinyl

Carlman

Best 60's and 70's for the money cd or vinyl
« on: 31 May 2022, 03:41 pm »
I'm looking to backfill some holes in my collection... mainly Led Zep and Jimi Hendrix... but also the Who.  I can't imagine what a modern recording of the Who would be like, wow!
There are some new remastered cd's out there and 'who' knows how many re-issues on vinyl.  I found this on Amazon.. is it good?  Or, is it better than the one I have? This is the 4 cd set from 1990?  CD's back often sounded kind of harsh... but not always.  I don't know.  I've never heard an original album from LZ or Jimi or any of these 60's and early 70's bands when they came out.  I didn't have a bank account yet.  I was just born, had to learn how to roll over or something.  :)

I am not interested in collector level stuff.. I just want the most natural sounding versions of older music.  I bought a remastered Van Halen 1984 on cd and it is definitely better than the original.  Better meaning, less tinny/thin.  It's still kind of 'tipped up' sounding but there is bass where there wasn't before.  If anyone has recommendations or links to properly done classic rock, that would be helpful.  Thanks.

BTW, I thought there was a thread on AC about this subject somewhere but I can't find it.

WGH

Re: Best 60's and 70's for the money cd or vinyl
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2022, 04:42 pm »
I get the HD Tracks newsletter, they always have ongoing sales. I noticed remastered hi-res Led Zepplin in the ad, don't know how they sound.

Yesterday and today is the $50 Off Sale

http://enews.hdtracks.com/q/xfd2q0W3ULG-6fXAYwef2xVIh8pnuqOolF1nwPLCrAQ6NO9QF5fneGwZ2

Use code HDSPEAKER50

Spend $25 or more get $5 off
Spend $45 or more get $10 off
Spend $95 or more get $25 off
Spend $150 or more get $50 off
Code can be used multiple times.
Offer valid through 5/31/22 11:59 PM GMT (8:00 PM EST).
Code does not apply to albums currently on sale.

johnto

« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2022, 05:10 pm »
I think the 2010 and beyond Hendrix remasters sound great as well as the Page Led Zep remasters of the first 3 on CD.
The Beatles recent remasters of Sgt Pepper, White, Let it Be and AbbeyRoad are also great.
The who Abbey Road half Speed remasters also sound excellent.

Carlman

« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2022, 05:19 pm »
Greatly appreciated.  I'll see if I can find the remasters used first... then rip them to my favorite resolution/format.
The HD tracks site is an 'interesting' model.  It's a bit overpriced for what it is in my opinion.  Plus.. The Who at 96kHz... How'd they do that?  Did the company that remastered it produce a high res version?  I tend to doubt that.. but maybe?  I get no physical media or art, just a file for $20-$40... with no explanation of how the copy was created.  I can't find anything about them on their site.  Who are they, where are they based?  Their tagline is 'you can hear the difference' but then don't explain what it is.  So I don't see the value here.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2022, 06:25 pm »
HD Tracks is owned by David Chesky, who has been in high fidelity downloads from the beginning.  Before that, he was high end vinyl and cd's... but I agree that he's high.   
I'd bet that all of his earlier offerings were mastered from the original analogue tapes.