Latest Music Archive: 01/21/03 - 02/24/03

Woodsea

« Reply #20 on: 13 Feb 2003, 03:04 am »
Just bought 'The spirit of Radio' by Rush...greatest hits '74-87, with DVD of 5 videos and lyrics.
The cd is great as it has most of their greatest.  They are all digitally remastered.  I thought I heard pops, somehow, while listening to 2112 overture.  May have just been a flashback.  
You can pick up this steal at http://www.bestbuy.com/mandm/productInfo.asp?prodType=music&ST=11206819&genre=&cat=&scat= for $11.99 USD.
The DVD audio seemed a little low, but the footage is historical and fun.   :drums:  Neil Peart...all the way
Oh and in the liner are tubes  :idea:

mgalusha

« Reply #21 on: 15 Feb 2003, 04:25 am »
Johnny Cash - Live at Madison Square Garden.

Great performances by Cash and includes Carl Perkins, The Carter Family and The Statler Brothers. This was recorded in 1969 and not released until 2002. Pretty good recording quality for a live arena show. If you are a Cash fan, this is a must have.

MaxCast

« Reply #22 on: 16 Feb 2003, 04:58 am »
I've picked up a bunch of music since Christmas so here are a few of them.

Tchaikovosky- The Nutcracker on Philips.  Concertgebouw Orchistra New Philharmonia Orchestra, Antal Dorati.  Says it is a 96kHz 24 bit super Digital Transfer.  I guess that means it was remastered.  This is my first Nutcracker so I have nothing to compare it to.  I love the music and the performance seems top notch compared to excerts I've heard on the radio.  The recording seems a little distant but still sets a good stage.

Tchaikovsky- Swan Lake Ballet on Mercury Living Presence.  Minneapolis Symphony, Antal Dorati.  I've only listened to this once but I may like it better than the Nutcracker.  I was put off at first because it is in Mono :(  but I was really enjoying it by the second disc.

Joe Stanley- King of Honky-tonk Sax.  Mapleshade/Wildchild.  Pretty good.  It has a few covers that makes it seem framiliar.   Blues for Danny (Gatton) is a great track.  It reminds me of walking into a club, listeing to a band you never heard before and being totally entertained.  Lots of fun.  And of course it has the excellent MS recording technique.

Herbie Hancock- The best of the Blue Note Years.  Now I've never heard HH before but have read many a recommendations-mostly Head Hunters and Dis is Da Drum.  I took a shot at this one and I have to say I feel I got lucky as I really enjoy this CD.  Pretty good recording.  I will be checking out more of his work.

C. I. Williams- When Alto Was King.  Mapleshade.  I've had this for awhile but I have to say that this CD is Excellent.  If you like the Saxaphone get this CD!

That's all for now.

ABEX

« Reply #23 on: 16 Feb 2003, 12:44 pm »
I have approx. 2000 LP's and in the last year have concintrated restocking my CD Recordings.Have mostly bought Rock & Classical on Amazon.

The other nite I bought Procol Harum's & Billy Squires Greatest  at the local CD-Hole for $7ea..

My collection has grown from 100CD's to 450 CD's in the last yr. and I am still growng.

Here's a tip---Go out and find STAN RIDGWAY recording's.Guy is a ballard genius that not many people know about! :D

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #24 on: 16 Feb 2003, 10:47 pm »
OK, I'm gonna say it--- I bought the Diana Krall DVD "Live in Paris" and I thoroughly enjoy it (also available on CD).

I know Krall is a lightning rod for contentious threads, but I've always enjoyed her CD's and really like the added dimension of video. Some people have complained she's an unemotive Ice Princess on stage, but
that's not the case here.

I also got the Ani DiFranco DVD "Render" which gets a mixed review from me--the actual live performances are chopped up too much with that back-stage insight stuff that interrupts the flow of the music. This is more a video that could appear on TV rather than a music DVD to watch over and over (which one can do with the Krall).

ABEX

« Reply #25 on: 23 Feb 2003, 04:33 am »
Genesis-Duke
Lou Reed
Enya
The Who-Who Are You
Simon & Garfunkel-Greatest Hits
Flock of Seagulls-I ran
Tommy James & the Shandells-Greatest

Have to try to find some more classical and Blues for cheap.I have runout of things I want in rock with a few exceptions.Brian Ferry,Kinks,Stones I still want ,but not at new prices.

I like Amazon,but the S&H charges kill me!  :x

bob82274

« Reply #26 on: 23 Feb 2003, 04:51 am »
Just bought the Who: My Generation on SACD at Bestbuy.  It rang up for $20 but someone had made a mistake and mismarked it not only as $15 but as some other CD.  The cashier was your typical 'hate my job so I slack' type and didn't bother to check the misprint so I got it for $15.  Not bad.

bundee1

« Reply #27 on: 24 Feb 2003, 05:49 am »
I cant tell you guys how freakin helpful KazaaLite has been in finding new music to listen to, especially with songs i might have heard in a movie or commerical or just  walking by some place. I have spent more money on cds in the last couple of months because of it. I bought:

1) Bootsy Collins -Glory B Da Funks On Me
just for the gem "Id Rather Be With You" if any of you have this program get this song!!!

2) Fleetwood Mac-New Greatest Hits
got this after hearing "Dreams". God the vocals on that song are so beautiful.

3)Lemonjelly- EP dont know the name
listen to "Soft" its funny and soothing. It samples Peter Cetera

4)The Orb-Auntie Aubreys Adventure Beyond the Ultraworld pt2
Doing a search on KazaaLite for Orb stuff I found "I Started A Joke"
covered by RobbieWilliams and the ORB. Ethereal, somewhat sad but crazy and original. I walked about 5 miles up and down Manhattan to find this.This brings me to my next point, this program is a great way to hear, and archive out of print music, so it isnt lost to future generations.

Check it out before it becomes extinct and expand your horizons and cd collection.