Lampizator Baltic 3

jknecht

Lampizator Baltic 3
« on: 24 Jan 2021, 08:44 pm »
I ordered a Baltic 3 recently and currently waiting for delivery. I’m curious if anyone here owns one and what are your impressions?

doggie

Re: Lampizator Baltic 3
« Reply #1 on: 9 Sep 2021, 07:34 pm »
I am curious how long a wait time your were quoted and, if you have already received it, how you liked it.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: 9 Sep 2021, 10:20 pm by doggie »

doggie

« Reply #2 on: 18 Sep 2021, 12:02 pm »
No Baltic 3 owners here? It looks like one of LampizatOr's best deals.

I just ordered one and hopefully will be able to post something once it breaks in. I also have a pretty good stash of tubes to roll with it including many 12AU7 and 6SN7-VT-231, 7N7, plus a Brimar 5r4gy rectifier that is has been gathering dust in my drawer for about 20 years .

I am also looking to buy a pair of 6F8G/VT-99 plus some high quality adapters.
« Last Edit: 19 Sep 2021, 02:15 am by doggie »

dbeau

« Reply #3 on: 18 Sep 2021, 05:16 pm »
I ordered in Feb 2021 and received in 11 weeks.
It is an amazing DAC and greatly bettered the Berkeley Alpha (original model) it replaced.

Jon L

« Reply #4 on: 18 Sep 2021, 09:16 pm »
I ordered in Feb 2021 and received in 11 weeks.
It is an amazing DAC and greatly bettered the Berkeley Alpha (original model) it replaced.

Aside from the usual tube advantages such as better tonal qualities and soundstaging, does Lampizator Baltic 3 better the Berkeley Alpha in terms of detail/resolution? 

nquery

« Reply #5 on: 3 Nov 2021, 08:34 pm »
Hi,

Any other recent purchases/reviews? Specifically wondering how much better it sound than the Amber 3.

shadowlight

« Reply #6 on: 4 Nov 2021, 12:45 am »
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/lampizator-baltic-3.32079/

Lots of information on the sound signature and tube rolling for the Baltic.

RLG

« Reply #7 on: 17 Nov 2021, 06:37 pm »
Baltic 3 next on my list

doggie

« Reply #8 on: 11 Dec 2021, 12:49 pm »
My Baltic has been in my system for a couple of months now. I am very happy with it especially after some tube rolling and moving to some Final Touch Audio cables. It seems to really compliment my Linear Tube Audio Ultralinear Integrated amp perfectly.

My current tube complement is a Tungsol 5Z3 rectifier, a pair of RCA 5962's and a pair of Telefunken smooth plate 12AU7s. I have found that the rectifier makes a big difference.

El Tio

« Reply #9 on: 14 Jan 2022, 05:45 pm »
I know tube rolling is one of the main reasons many will purchase a Lampi. I have a Baltic 3 on order and will probably play with tubes a bit after burn but I wonder if anyone has noticed this in the owners manual?

"We sell the DAC with the best tubes we can find in consistent sustainable supply.
Therefore we feel you should not be tempted to change them for any reason.
If you feel that you MUST try other types of tubes – we need to pre-authorize it in
writing. Otherwise you loose the warranty, sorry"

morganc

« Reply #10 on: 15 Jan 2022, 12:39 am »
I know tube rolling is one of the main reasons many will purchase a Lampi. I have a Baltic 3 on order and will probably play with tubes a bit after burn but I wonder if anyone has noticed this in the owners manual?

"We sell the DAC with the best tubes we can find in consistent sustainable supply.
If you feel that you MUST try other types of tubes – we need to pre-authorize it in

I believe the main word there is “type”.  I don’t think the warranty is voided for substituting a different brand of the same tube type, however a different type means different voltage, etc and may damage the unit.  This is common in the audio industry.

doggie

« Reply #11 on: 13 Feb 2022, 04:50 pm »

I read this also. It is a bit odd. The key words in the first sentence are "consistent sustainable supply". They are not saying that these are the best tubes, just that they can get them in quantity when they need them. Saying that "you should not be tempted to change them for any reason" is a bit weird. May NOS tubes will easily best the tubes they provide.

As someone pointed out, it is using a different type of tube that will lose your warranty, not a different brand or variant. If in doubt just email them.

My guess is that from previous experience they are just covering themselves from DIY users' tube rolling self-inflicted wounds.

Having said all of this I am wildly happy will my Baltic 3. I now use a Sophia Aqua 274 rectifier, a NOS 6SN7WGT and a Telefunken 12AU7.
« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2022, 07:56 pm by doggie »

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #12 on: 20 Feb 2022, 07:28 am »
Anyone happen to know if the Lampi Baltic 3 is what would accurately be described as a "dual-mono" DAC with respect to it's circuit topology? I haven't figured out how to get the cover off mine and there's no schematic.

Thanks, gents.

NickMimi

« Reply #13 on: 21 Apr 2022, 01:58 am »
New Baltic 3 arrived. 12 week lead time. The newest models NO LONGER have the high / low gain switch. Otherwise as expected. Very nice piece, no issues with synergy or sound in my current set-up. Purchased through Rob via Lampizator North America.

NickMimi

« Reply #14 on: 25 Apr 2022, 12:50 pm »
Taking my time w/ the new B3, still using the stock tubes, at least for a few more weeks. The one thing I did notice is that it did not pair well/ synergize with my SOTM USB regen. The soundstage shrunk and I was localizing speakers. I removed the SOTM out of the chain and went direct to my Innuos Zenith mk3 w/ FTA Callisto USB in line. Going direct opened up the soundstage again and allowed for the speakers to disappear as they had in the past in the room. Meh, not all gear has synergy, moved the SOTM to the 2nd floor smaller near-field listening room.

No complaints thus far, I am withholding forming any detailed opinions until the tubes and unit have had at least 100hrs of play time, just so that everything settles in. The unit is running balanced XLR direct into my Vinnie Rossi L2iSE feeding various speakers as my mood changes.

As it stands unless something drastic changes I can see myself enjoying this piece for years to come.

sidvee

« Reply #15 on: 7 May 2022, 07:02 am »
New Baltic 3 arrived. 12 week lead time. The newest models NO LONGER have the high / low gain switch. Otherwise as expected.
Did you know in advance that the gain switch was deleted?  I just ordered mine and waiting on delivery, however the gain switch is a requirement for me, and all their manuals state that it is still there.
Cheers,
Sid

El Tio

« Reply #16 on: 7 May 2022, 01:36 pm »
Did you know in advance that the gain switch was deleted?  I just ordered mine and waiting on delivery, however the gain switch is a requirement for me, and all their manuals state that it is still there.
Cheers,
Sid
I received my Baltic 3 about four weeks ago. I was surprised to find it did not have the gain switch but it is not an issue for me.

sidvee

« Reply #17 on: 7 May 2022, 01:49 pm »
I received my Baltic 3 about four weeks ago. I was surprised to find it did not have the gain switch but it is not an issue for me.
Ok thanks,  personally it is a deal-breaker for me.  I have informed my local dealer and also sent an e-mail to Lampi.  When I was buying the unit I was solely looking at the specs. on both their US and Polish websites and both showed that this feature was available - my dealer never informed me that this feature had been deleted, even after I sent him details about what tubes I wanted - not sure if this will happen or not now either as it was based on the details shown on the website. I am now concerned that I have to deal with high gain into my pre. which a few users of other Lampi's have already complained about. 
Anyways it is a roll of the dice of me after having paid a substantial amount.  Wish I had paid more attention and asked for further details.
Cheers,
Sid

geerock

« Reply #18 on: 7 May 2022, 02:37 pm »
Cheers,
Sid

Get a hold of Fred at Lampizatorna@gmail.com.  He can tell you if it's been deleted and, if it is, it's possible he can get it installed on your unit.

NickMimi

« Reply #19 on: 7 May 2022, 03:57 pm »
Cheers,
Sid

Sid, no the most recent changes made to the newest B3 were a surprise to me. The unit sounds excellent but the gain switch omission was a complete surprise. I emailed Poland and never received a response and Rob @ Lampi North was quick to point out the change was for improved performance. Unbeknownst to me if you want a high/low gain switch you now have to ask for it.