RMAF Report please (when available)

carusoracer

RMAF Report please (when available)
« on: 20 Oct 2006, 01:17 pm »
For all the lucky attendees. RMAF Report please (when available) post what was hot  :drool:and what is not.

Have fun out there

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Re: RMAF Report please (when available)
« Reply #1 on: 20 Oct 2006, 01:18 pm »
And PLEASE don't forget pictures!! We love pictures!

mgalusha

« Reply #2 on: 20 Oct 2006, 01:25 pm »
While helping Wayne (BOLDER Cables) set up yesterday some very nice sounds could be heard from the folks next door, Merlin speakers and Joule Electra OTL's I believe. Suprisingly good sound given the fact that they had only set up a little earlier.

The real fun begins today as yesterday is all work and no play.

Mike

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #3 on: 20 Oct 2006, 01:30 pm »
 Hi Mike,
 Keep me posted on the other side of Waynes room too. I have the bigger 100 watt Bella EXTremes right next door in with Dan Wright.

mgalusha

« Reply #4 on: 20 Oct 2006, 01:41 pm »
I'll be roving today and will make sure to stop by Dan's room. I saw him unloading stuff yesterday, so I know he made it.

mgalusha

« Reply #5 on: 21 Oct 2006, 03:22 am »
A few photos, haven't taken very many thus far.

ACI Saphire XL. I really liked these speakers and the overall sound of Mike's room.

BOLDER Cables Room and Rack

Resposne Audio Bella EXtreme in BOLDER room

Audio Kenesis Jazz Modules - Another speaker I really enjoyed. There was a "rightness" to the tonal quality, at least to me.

I'm sure others will have more to say and more photos. Lots of AC folks at the happy hour - they were still going strong when I left at about 8:00.  :beer:

Mike

oris98

« Reply #6 on: 21 Oct 2006, 04:32 am »
Hi all,

Today I just heard the first world class Pioneer S1EX speakers..  The image, tonal balance and bass control is breath taking..  For the first day of RMAF 2006, this one is on the top of my list.  I still can't forget the sonic experience that I have had with these speakers in this afternoon..   

PeteG

« Reply #8 on: 21 Oct 2006, 03:21 pm »
Here's some pictures, more to come. RMAF

Pete

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #9 on: 21 Oct 2006, 04:29 pm »
 Hello Mike,
 Great pictures. Do you mind if I pirate some for the show report on my website?

The speakers look great. I really like the finish on the VMPS and the ACI's look sweet. The Jazz modules look very intriguing as well. Being a big horn/waveguide fan, I wouldn't mind hearing them as well.

Emjoy the rest of the show and if you happen to get into room 1010, take some pictures for me :green:

gary

« Reply #10 on: 21 Oct 2006, 08:49 pm »
Bill -

Your amps are awesome, I'm a big fan. I wish I were a richer fan too :)

As for the other rooms, the Dodd audio amps & battery pres look absolutely gorgeous and I think that given the right system they will sound amazing but I wasn't a huge fan of the speakers they were hooked up to. The Zu druids sound nice, a little forward/beaming for my taste but preferable to most rooms at the show. That's especially impressive given that the total system cost was like $6k. The Definitions do sound a whole lot better, and much more to my liking, but the cost is way up there too. The juicy music room was nice, sound was okay given their $2k preamp and $5k power amps were hooked up to cheapie klipsch speakers that made my ears hurt. Audio Note UK was excellent, and the MBL room was even better. And both are out of the reach of 99.9% of us. Those are the notable ones for me, although I was avoiding most of the super high-end rooms. Overall, I think the sound in Montreal last year was better, too many of the rooms at RMAF just made my ears hurt after a matter of seconds, but there was a lot of cool stuff to see & hear.

Gary

Brucemck

« Reply #11 on: 21 Oct 2006, 10:50 pm »

Salk HT3s sounded great.  Gresham (sp?) Black Swans were amazing.  Selah's "open baffle Accuton midrange" units were also very nice.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #12 on: 21 Oct 2006, 10:56 pm »
 Thanks for the kind words Gary. I wish I was there as there seems to be some very nice gear that I have not yet heard. More than anythng, it would be a great way to meet everyone in person that I have been talking to over the years.

MaxCast

« Reply #13 on: 22 Oct 2006, 12:04 am »
Hey guys, thanks for all the pics and info !!

Carlman

« Reply #14 on: 22 Oct 2006, 12:23 am »
I was bound and determined to get to this year's RMAF last year when it passed by... :(  But alas, my wife planned a trip to Mexico, I got a new contract in Iowa, and blammo October was shot down again long before it ever got here....   :x :(

I was really hoping by some miracle it would work out that I could go but it didn't.  So, I greatly appreciate the feedback you all are providing.  I wish I could meet a few more folks I've chatted with over the past few years.... I'd be the first to buy a round for you all.  :beer:

Thanks again,
Carl

ekovalsky

« Reply #15 on: 22 Oct 2006, 03:29 am »
I was bound and determined to get to this year's RMAF last year when it passed by... :(  But alas, my wife planned a trip to Mexico, I got a new contract in Iowa, and blammo October was shot down again long before it ever got here....   :x :(

I was really hoping by some miracle it would work out that I could go but it didn't.  So, I greatly appreciate the feedback you all are providing.  I wish I could meet a few more folks I've chatted with over the past few years.... I'd be the first to buy a round for you all.  :beer:

Thanks again,
Carl

I echo all your sentiments.  It was a trip to Hawaii my wife planned months ago that foiled my RMAF plans this year.

PeteG

« Reply #16 on: 22 Oct 2006, 04:02 am »
More pictures. RMAF

Pete

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #17 on: 22 Oct 2006, 06:31 am »
In picture #39 (page 4, top row, 3rd from left) is that a Harbeth Monitor 30 and Super HL5 with the Nuforce/SP Tech S-9?

I would like to have heard that comparison. If anyone did take note who was at the show, I would like to hear your impressions.

PeteG

« Reply #18 on: 22 Oct 2006, 01:58 pm »
In picture #39 (page 4, top row, 3rd from left) is that a Harbeth Monitor 30 and Super HL5 with the Nuforce/SP Tech S-9?

I would like to have heard that comparison. If anyone did take note who was at the show, I would like to hear your impressions.

Russell,
 Your right about the speakers, the Nuforce S-9 sound was good (image,bass,snap) but
they were to far a part for me the set-up could have been better, most rooms were
that way though.

The Harbeth M30 really surprised me how good they sounded they didn’t have the bass punch the S-9 had but still very good sounding speakers.  I was disappointed when I seen the new price list for them (around $4300).

Pete

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #19 on: 22 Oct 2006, 01:58 pm »
Ok, here is a very quick (and incomplete) list of the top of my head:

My top rooms (all super expensive):

MBL
Kharma
Evolution Acoustics

Very good rooms:

ACI
Moscode
Gershwin
Odyssey
Audio Unlimited (Wilson and Boulder)

Good and getting better:

Salk
Selah
Zu
HiFi500 (Stello, and some speakers imported by Hudson Audio)
Dodd/GR Research
AV123
VMPS Bolder Cable

Comments and pictures to come over the next few days.

George