RMAF 2014 - Tell Us Where To Go (Tyson & Pez)

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
Re: RMAF 2014 - Tell Us Where To Go (Tyson & Pez)
« Reply #60 on: 7 Oct 2014, 05:13 pm »
Added!

Thanks! Looking forward to see you guys again!

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #61 on: 7 Oct 2014, 05:14 pm »
How about room 1022

Volti Audio
 Tortuga Audio
 Triode Wire Labs

Also, please visit Triode Wire Labs with Volti Audio & Border Patrol in Room 1102.

Please sign-up for the "free" raffle giveaway of  a Triode Wire Labs special edition "Ten Plus" power cable!

Cheers,
Pete

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #62 on: 7 Oct 2014, 06:28 pm »
Tyson/Pez,
I realize that Aerial Acoustics seems like another MTM style loudspeaker company, but believe me when I say that Michael Kelly and company make amazing sounding speakers.  His new Aerial 6T's will be in Room 1014.  Stop by if possible.  I am toying with finally breaking through and getting his state of the art 20T's.  :)

I can't make it this year so will live vicariously through your crazy and wonderful almost-realtime coverage.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #63 on: 7 Oct 2014, 06:59 pm »
Tyson/Pez,
I realize that Aerial Acoustics seems like another MTM style loudspeaker company, but believe me when I say that Michael Kelly and company make amazing sounding speakers.  His new Aerial 6T's will be in Room 1014.  Stop by if possible.  I am toying with finally breaking through and getting his state of the art 20T's.  :)

I can't make it this year so will live vicariously through your crazy and wonderful almost-realtime coverage.

Thanks Ted :)  We're gonna miss you this year! 

I think we'll pass on the Aerial room, not because it's won't sound good (it probably will), but mainly because it's a really well known mainstream brand.  I think a lot of the fun (and value) of our show coverage is that we hit smaller, lesser known vendors that might not have an extensive dealer network and this might be the only show they can attend. 

Kinger

« Reply #64 on: 7 Oct 2014, 07:07 pm »
No visit to the Fritz room this year?

Tyson

« Reply #65 on: 7 Oct 2014, 07:10 pm »
No visit to the Fritz room this year?

Nope.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #66 on: 7 Oct 2014, 07:13 pm »
Thanks Ted :)  We're gonna miss you this year! 

I think we'll pass on the Aerial room, not because it's won't sound good (it probably will), but mainly because it's a really well known mainstream brand.  I think a lot of the fun (and value) of our show coverage is that we hit smaller, lesser known vendors that might not have an extensive dealer network and this might be the only show they can attend.

Fair enough.  Makes sense.  Yes, thanks, I will miss you guys, the dinners, the AC get-togethers...oh and the audio.

So...everybody else, go hear the Aerial 6T's if you want to hear a reasonably priced musical-as-hell speaker.

JackD201

« Reply #67 on: 7 Oct 2014, 10:33 pm »
Looks like they skipped RMAF this year anyway, I don't see TAD on the exhibitor list at all and a search turned up nothing for TAD.

TAD's future is uncertain. Pioneer is reportedly leaving the home 2 channel market according to Japanese news reports. I hope TAD is not affected. Andrew is one of my favorite loudspeaker designers and a great guy too. I met him in Tokyo last year. The Pioneer brand for 2 channel is gone. The DJ equipment division sold.

http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Pioneer-s-exit-from-stereo-components-marks-end-of-era

JackD201

« Reply #68 on: 7 Oct 2014, 10:49 pm »
You'll have to be more specific - what do they do differently from other box/cone/dome speakers?

Gut busting tight bass from ordinarily sized cabinets for one. Very affordable at that. Enough for Deen Peer to run his bass guitar and pedals  through without the speakers coughing up fur balls. As for the rest they fit your criteria above, small new company, new products, relatively unknown albeit they have gotten good reviews in the mainstream press already for their one and only model in production so far and have been tagged by all of them as a company to watch for.

They will be showing a new speaker, they're supposed flagship, that nobody outside of their company has heard. Given you guys are the closest to real time reporting,  you get the scoop on all the new stuff.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #69 on: 7 Oct 2014, 11:57 pm »
TAD's future is uncertain. Pioneer is reportedly leaving the home 2 channel market according to Japanese news reports. I hope TAD is not affected. Andrew is one of my favorite loudspeaker designers and a great guy too. I met him in Tokyo last year. The Pioneer brand for 2 channel is gone. The DJ equipment division sold.

http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Pioneer-s-exit-from-stereo-components-marks-end-of-era

I hope not, TAD systems are the pinnacle of high end audio IMO. The speakers sound ok with the Zesto amps but are on a whole 'nother level with the full compliment of TAD electronics behind them.

I met AJ last year, nice guy and he was happy to play my test track for me.  :thumb:  It was the best system I've ever heard by a pretty decent margin, and that was with the "cheap" Evolution towers. I'm definitely tempted to look for a used pair of Pioneer S1EX, it looks like there are only minor differences vs the TAD Evos.

But... they do look like they violate T&P rule #1 except for the coax driver. Goes to show implementation is everything...

Tyson

« Reply #70 on: 8 Oct 2014, 02:41 am »
Gut busting tight bass from ordinarily sized cabinets for one. Very affordable at that. Enough for Deen Peer to run his bass guitar and pedals  through without the speakers coughing up fur balls. As for the rest they fit your criteria above, small new company, new products, relatively unknown albeit they have gotten good reviews in the mainstream press already for their one and only model in production so far and have been tagged by all of them as a company to watch for.

They will be showing a new speaker, they're supposed flagship, that nobody outside of their company has heard. Given you guys are the closest to real time reporting,  you get the scoop on all the new stuff.

Convincing!  Added.

KLH007

« Reply #71 on: 8 Oct 2014, 05:29 am »

Jon, The Exotica 3s went head to head with SS8s at CAF, the Exoticas won for me not only because the bass is phenomenal, but the voices were special, very real, RAAL was not missed. The room with AVA & Salk had top notch sound, in the top 3, with affordable pricing for speakers & electronics, great job gentlemen.
Kemper

Because I can't make it this year, I'm relying on you guys! ;)

A couple that would have been on my "list":

JTR room; first time (if memory serves) that Digital Amplifier Company's amps will be at a major show.  Curious to know what you guys think, considering I'm pretty sure you've heard all of the other current/leading edge tech in digital amps.  I've chatted online with Tommy on and off for a while, and really would have liked a chance to check out his stuff.

Salk.  I didn't get to hear the Exoticas before they grew up into floorstanders.  You know the bass will be good (GR/Rhythmik), but I'm really curious to hear a flagship Salk speaker on AVA electronics that doesn't use the Raal tweeter.  Yep, I'll say it; I'm not a fan of the Raal, and unfortunately (for me) that tweeter has made an otherwise well regarded room more or less a no-fly zone for me for a few years now.

I'll second Seaton if you haven't heard his stuff before, and I will also second the suggestion to hit the room off peak hours; something that really would showcase the impact an orchestra can produce (could go with the stand-by of the 1812 if you're not feeling creative) would be fun there if you're not just in the mood to crack a little plaster off the walls.

Hugh at Angel City Audio mentioned that he's got some new floorstanders coming to the show.  The Trinity just wasn't quite my cup of tea, but I would like to have heard what he has cooked up really with the gloves off design-wise.

I know these are all box speaker suggestions, but you were asking about new stuff to check out.  :thumb:

sounddog

« Reply #72 on: 9 Oct 2014, 12:53 am »
I agree with those urging you to include the new Salk Exotica 3s, which I think are easily the best Salks yet. I'd also suggest that you include Nola and Joseph speakers (or do they violate the rules you've set out?).

strat95

« Reply #73 on: 9 Oct 2014, 01:22 am »
+1 on the new Salk speakers.

Also, will any room be using the new Berkeley Alpha DAC Reference Series?  I would like to hear feedback on that.

jhm731

« Reply #74 on: 9 Oct 2014, 01:29 am »
For you WA fans going to RMAF:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMIZ-lwj8gI

There will be a static display model at RMAF in the VTL room.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #75 on: 9 Oct 2014, 01:33 am »
For you WA fans going to RMAF:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMIZ-lwj8gI

There will be a static display model at RMAF in the VTL room.
Price of Sabrina?

jhm731

« Reply #76 on: 9 Oct 2014, 01:53 am »
Price of Sabrina?

It will come in under the Sophia (which is currently at around $22,000).

It looks like a 3-way floor-standing version of the Alida.
« Last Edit: 9 Oct 2014, 05:57 am by jhm731 »

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #77 on: 11 Oct 2014, 02:05 am »
If you haven't been,,, go to room 529-the Von Schweikert room for the premier showing of the new VR55's.  Also, go next door to see the beautiful EV5's.... 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #78 on: 11 Oct 2014, 03:03 pm »
If you haven't been,,, go to room 529-the Von Schweikert room for the premier showing of the new VR55's.  Also, go next door to see the beautiful EV5's....

+1 His new speakers are AWESOME. Home run... great looks, great size = great WAF + they are some of the best speakers I've ever heard. Custom Accuton drivers and a custom beryllium tweeter... 

If you go ask about the ZenWave SurgeX and IC cables that are now being used...  :wink:

roscoeiii

« Reply #79 on: 11 Oct 2014, 04:45 pm »
I may just stay in the sweetspot in the Salk room all day. Can someone bring me a sandwich?