RMAF 2013 Day 1 - Tyson and Pez Coverage LIVE

Big Red Machine

Re: RMAF 2013 Day 1 - Tyson and Pez Coverage LIVE
« Reply #20 on: 11 Oct 2013, 08:57 pm »
Sometimes it is not obvious whose room you are in and can you say which speakers were playing when there are multiple speakers in the photographs??  Just saying' ----- slackers! :whip:

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #21 on: 11 Oct 2013, 09:33 pm »
Isn't it obvious?  The speakers in the last photo are from the "tower speaker with Scandinavian drivers" speaker company.

Russ

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #22 on: 11 Oct 2013, 09:52 pm »

Tyson Notes

General Room Notes – Beautiful real wood speakers as always.  Usually the sound is pretty average the first day in the Daedalus room.  But 2 things have conspired to change that this year – the Rev 2 speakers and good room treatments.  The sound this year is already better on the first day than it was last year on Sunday.  Impressive.

Saint-Saens Violin & Piano – Really good microdynamics and tone, while still keeping the necessary grit when the bow digs into the strings..

Handel Aria – Smooth and beautiful.  Could listen to this forever.  Standout room of the show for this particular track (so far).

Mahler Symphony – Oh yeah, imaging is much sharper and more focused this year.  Of course they scale with Mahler perfectly, but the again they always have done macrodynamics like nobody’s business.

Civil Wars – Hey, I actually kind of like this track in this room.  If that’s not a ringing endorsement, I don’t know what is!

Tom Waits – Did I mention that I love Tom Waits?  Jesus, you hear that lifetime of pain and regret coming through here better than anything I’ve heard.  Kudos.

Jason’s Notes

In the TCW track there female vocals are probably the best balance I have heard all day. There is so much balls to this sound it's crazy. Dynamics just pop and really grab your attention. There is a bit of bass overhang for sure.

Walk Away first time today that I feel like a speaker really actually completely gets the true sound of Tom's voice (yes I'm on a first name basis with Mr Waits). Best groove factor by far. This is a huge improvement over last year. The one thing that I think this room needs to improve is the imaging isn't quite locked in. I found myself trying to move my head around to get things centered and focused.  I couldn't quite get it which is not normally my experience with any of the Daedalus speakers. But overall a big step up over most if not all that I've heard today.

Moved one row back and that seemed to fix the imaging issue completely. Big fat awesome soundstage with confidence and presence like you wouldn't believe.imaging way outside the speakers first time that Canberra said of any speaker today. 

Tyson

« Reply #23 on: 11 Oct 2013, 09:53 pm »
Yes, we would post all the equipment in all the rooms, but that seems like it would be actual work.  :P

dminches

« Reply #24 on: 11 Oct 2013, 09:56 pm »
The Modwright DAC on the top shelf looks very nice. This is their new offering.

Tyson

« Reply #25 on: 11 Oct 2013, 09:58 pm »
PEZ: I can barely get photos download and my short blurb. If Tyson can get room info in he will otherwise it might not happen. Sorry there's a lot of info and not a lot of time to over it all.

Tyson

« Reply #26 on: 11 Oct 2013, 10:01 pm »
Plus, we kind of don't care.

Tyson

« Reply #27 on: 11 Oct 2013, 10:28 pm »

Tyson Notes

General Room Notes – TAD Room.  Oh yeah, now we are cooking with gas!  Even listening to the general music selected by the people running the room, it’s obvious that this room does everything we loved about the TAD room 2 years ago when they were best of RMAF for us.  Having all TAD electronics certainly helps!

Saint-Saens Violin & Piano – Haha, microdynamics suckas!  Amazing that it keeps the grit of the violin while being absolutely smooth and musical.  Love the TAD room.  Catches the interplay between Shaham and Feltsman superbly.

Handel Aria – Coherent and beautiful, huge soundstage.   Can’t believe we are in such a small shoebox room and there’s such giant sound.  Great, great, great.

Mahler Symphony – Horn call at the beginning is room filling, that’s something I’ve not heard in any other room yet.  Holy shit the orchestral crash is INSANE! 

Civil Wars – One of the few systems that doesn’t make the midbass sound like mush on this track.  Just puts her vocals out there with real emotion and depth.  Almost naked clarity.  Beautiful.  Soundstage is really amazing, just very real.  Tactile almost. 

Tom Waits – Hahaha, Tom Waits sounds like a junkyard dog with a bone and a bad attitude.  Less sorrow and more “f-you” anger and resentment.  Beautiful.  I can clearly imagine him shaking his fists at kids and telling them “Get the hell off my lawn!”

Clearly the best room I’ve been in this year so far, and not by a little.

Jason’s Notes

The TAD room always sets my heart atwitter and this year is no different. I walked in and instantly loved the look. But the sound as usual is really what tad is about and this year is no exception. Tyson's tracks actually sound approachable and even beautiful. Actually got my attention! the Mahler especially had so much authority it you can't help but sit and just listen.

TCW. Yes now this is what it's about! Soooooo much grace soooo much emotional nuance it's almost outside of categorization. The guitar strumming and dynamic shifts are breath taking! So refined its ridiculous. So much power wow.

Waits. Just going to sit here and enjoy it. Holy shit..... Nothing more needs to be said.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #28 on: 11 Oct 2013, 10:34 pm »
Plus, we kind of don't care.
That's awesome.  :lol:
You guys are doing a great job. Those of us that can't make it are grateful for whatever you can manage to show us.
Regardless of how halfassed it seems from our perspective.  :P

Rock on fellas...and thank you. 

Tyson

« Reply #29 on: 11 Oct 2013, 10:46 pm »

Tyson Notes

General Room Notes – YES, huge f’ing speakers!!!!!!!  Nothing, and I mean NOTHING can touch a well executed line source speaker.  Honestly I don’t think I’ve ever heard an open baffle line source before. 

Kodo – Mondo Head – off da hook.  Deeeep soundstage.  I know I really liked the Super 7’s last year in this room, but I like the speakers this year even better.  When you close your eyes, you just get lost in the soundstage.

Saint-Saens Violin & Piano – Oh, I almost forgot to type up my impressions – I was sort of sucked in to just listening to the music.  I think that’s the first time that’s happened to me at the show this year.

Handel Aria – Detail is insane – you can almost “see” her mouth moving to form the words she is singing.  Everything is exactly proportioned in it’s soundstage, exactly where it should be.  One thing I’ll say is that the imaging and center focus is better than most OB speakers I hear.  I guess the line source combo OB factor improves that sort of diffuse sound that OB’s can sometimes get.  Very sharp imaging in this room.

Mahler Symphony – Oh yeah, all hell breaks loose on this track.  Apocalyptic is what Mahler was going for, and that’s exactly what this room delivers!

Civil Wars – Much better separation of the guitars here.  Usually all the instruments sort of bleed together on this track.  Oh, and the tonality.  This is the warmest, most beautiful sound I think I’ve ever heard here.  Really nice job.

Tom Waits – Its amazing how human he sounds here.  Not in the “frail” sense, because you know I’m convinced Tom Waits can kick Chuck Norris’ ass.  No, more in the sense that he is just realistically presented, like he’s just sort of hanging out, over there by the piano, rhapsodizing about life’s tragic beauty. 

Oh yeah, the bass.  When that deep bass drops, it just just room shaking.  And in the upper bass - one of the very, very few speakers I've heard that can give you that kick in the chest physicality that you get with truly live music.  I might have to get a pair of these when I move to my new house with dedicated man cave. 

Jason's Notes

Listening to kodo right now. And holy shit! The imaging is pretty off the hook.

Damn I think we hit the trifecta between Daedalus, TAD and GR/Dodd. Once again this setup just grips your attention like the two other rooms and demands your undivided attention. Immediacy, intimacy refinement. The amps are slightly being over driven sometimes on the operatic and it comes out a bit in the vocals but it's the little dodds that are playing I'm sure this would not be the case if the sexy blue beasts were on, but sadly there's some first day technical difficulty.

TCW. Sweet vocals great emotion, sexy as hell. Great air deep wide soundstage and phenomenal control. Wow this is what I come to this show to hear. Something that blows my mind and challenges my expectations.

Walk Away. So locked in and awesome. This is refinement yet the gruff harsh well used vocals of Waits are soooo powerful. 3 superb rooms in a row dayum!!!! Couldn't ask for a better room than this.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #30 on: 11 Oct 2013, 11:09 pm »
Great stuff guys. Thanks, and keep 'em comin'.  :thumb:    :beer:

OzarkTom

« Reply #31 on: 11 Oct 2013, 11:19 pm »
Great coverage as always. :thumb:

I heard that Vaughn loudspeakers is showing their new plasma tweeters at the show this year. That should be a good listen if you have never heard plasma drivers before.

Tyson

« Reply #32 on: 11 Oct 2013, 11:38 pm »

Tyson Notes

General Room Notes – last year we got to hear the Orion and after hearing soooooo much about it for soooooo long online, my expectations were very, very high.  And I was disappointed.  Don’t get me wrong, they sounded good, but I was expecting the 2nd coming of Jesus Christ.  And it was more like meeting the Buddah on the road (no, I didn’t kill him). 

But this year the speakers with the numbers that I can’t ever remember sound way better.  Maybe not quite at the TAD/GR Research/Daedalus rooms, but certainly within throwing distance.  One of the more musical rooms we’ve heard, if not super razor sharp high resolution.

Jason's Notes

Tyson

« Reply #33 on: 11 Oct 2013, 11:40 pm »
Random pic. From the kimber room. This guy sits in front of a spooling machine running and making some sexy looking cable.... Errr. Kable.

-Pez

Tyson

« Reply #34 on: 11 Oct 2013, 11:53 pm »

Tyson Notes

General Room Notes – Dammit, I lost my demo CD already!  Luckily they had Tom Waits on tap on their music server.

It’s hard to believe these speakers with a very sophisticated cabinet and a ton of drivers are only priced at $9k, but indeed they are.  It pays off in the area of microdynamics and  especially with percussive stuff.  The really crazy thing about these speakers is they just don’t get louder or softer in volume as you walk away from them or toward them.  The even-ness of the sound and it’s ability to fill the room effortlessly is incredibly good.

Jason's Notes

Sounds like music being streamed via spotify, and is!!!!!! Yay. Now playing server music. Better but uninspiring IMO. Imaging and soundstage while there is not really gelling for me

Tyson

« Reply #35 on: 11 Oct 2013, 11:58 pm »
Hitting that wall guys. Things are starting to sound sorta similar to me. Sorry -Pez

Tyson

« Reply #36 on: 11 Oct 2013, 11:58 pm »
People, just ignore Jason, he's always surly when he gets tired.  And I think I see him nodding off....

Tyson

« Reply #37 on: 12 Oct 2013, 12:02 am »
THAT'S ALL FOR TODAY FOLKS! 

TrungT

« Reply #38 on: 12 Oct 2013, 12:03 am »
Big thanks for the hard work.  :thumb:

rbbert

« Reply #39 on: 12 Oct 2013, 12:14 am »
Usually the Orion's are quad-amped (per channel) with a 4-way electronic Xover, but this year's picture looks like a more traditional single amp (per channel) passive Xover; is that right?