Crossover assembly 101

KMPLSV

Re: Crossover assembly 101
« Reply #180 on: 1 Feb 2020, 10:50 am »
Very good information. Lots to absorb for a beginner, but learning about crossovers is the main reason I came here. Thank you!

Jaytor

« Reply #181 on: 1 Feb 2020, 11:14 pm »
Question about the silicone/hot glue. When I built my crossovers, I secured all the components with zip ties, but did not use any other adhesion method. I can see how using silicone or hot glue could reduce any vibration of the components. Is this the reason to add the extra adhesive, or is it just to keep things from shifting when the speakers are moved around or from sound vibrations?

Thanks,
Jay

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #182 on: 2 Feb 2020, 12:48 am »
If you do use silicone adhesive, use the electrical grade. 

The standard version silicone adhesive uses acetic acid and corrosive to some materials and metal.

Water Dog

« Reply #183 on: 9 Feb 2020, 10:16 pm »
Do driver magnets affect crossover components... Should any components be positioned further away?

Edit: I think I found the answer.  Now that I have 3 posts I can search for myself!  :thumb:

Quote from: Arctos
Greetings,
Here is a quick question for you techies!!  When building crossovers for my latest DIY speakers, do I need to be concerned with the stray magnetic field of the inductors interacting with either resistors or capacitors?  I know that inductors will interact with each other depending on proximity and alignment, but don't know if I need to worry about other components.

Thanks,

RDS

The very anal lose a lot of sleep over this, I don't. I wouldn't attach a cap or resistor directly on top of a coil but very long runs of wire between parts is also not a recipe for success. I would also rewire the speaker internally. See the link in my other post.
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2020, 12:55 am by Water Dog »

Sonicjoy

« Reply #184 on: 6 Mar 2020, 03:28 pm »
Danny or anyone who may know. Here is my interpretation of the NX-Studio Monitor Crossover schematic. Does this look correct?

One thing that would be a great addition to the kits Danny is if you could include a photo of the crossover for each design. Would save a lot of head scratching for newbies.

Sorry about the blurry photo. Hard to get good light indoors at night.

(Upper left) Positive in. (Left of center) woofer positive. (right of center) Negetive in/ woofer neg./ tweeter pos. (upper right) tweeter neg.

This is my first crossover build so any thoughts on my lay out are appreciated.
Thanks!

maty

« Reply #185 on: 6 Mar 2020, 03:40 pm »
Maybe... wires with heatshrink.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #186 on: 6 Mar 2020, 04:21 pm »
Thanks Maty. The kit comes with heat shrink but I'm not ready for that yet. Just trying to confirm the layout and connections. I'm not new to wiring things (cars, boats, houses and audio systems etc.) just have not assembled crossover networks from scratch before.

Danny Richie

« Reply #187 on: 6 Mar 2020, 04:38 pm »
Danny or anyone who may know. Here is my interpretation of the NX-Studio Monitor Crossover schematic. Does this look correct?

One thing that would be a great addition to the kits Danny is if you could include a photo of the crossover for each design. Would save a lot of head scratching for newbies.

Sorry about the blurry photo. Hard to get good light indoors at night.

(Upper left) Positive in. (Left of center) woofer positive. (right of center) Negetive in/ woofer neg./ tweeter pos. (upper right) tweeter neg.

This is my first crossover build so any thoughts on my lay out are appreciated.
Thanks!

Looks correct from what I can tell. And if you run your wiring correctly then it should all work.

check the pictures on the first page to see how wires are twisted together and connected. That might help.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #188 on: 6 Mar 2020, 09:26 pm »
Thank you Danny!

The final version will be neater looking. This is just a test fitting.

You mentioned earlier that the caps should all be oriented the same way. Is that electrically or visually? And if electrically how would I determine that?

Rock Ball

« Reply #189 on: 8 Mar 2020, 01:15 pm »
Your MIFLEX bypass capacitor is the same type as mine; both leads are on the same end.  Did you connect the longer lead to a specific side of the other capacitor, or does it not matter?

Sonicjoy

« Reply #190 on: 8 Mar 2020, 01:36 pm »
Hi Rock Ball. I don't think it matters but I'm no expert. This is my first crossover build. I'm just making sure the both crossovers have all the components facing the same way. Both are identical.

I finished both crossovers yesterday (Sat March 7) and have the first speaker wired and assembled ready for testing. Just about to start assembling the second one after my first cup of coffee this morning. Will be updating my build thread later today or tomorrow. Keep an eye out there.

Danny Richie

« Reply #191 on: 9 Mar 2020, 07:42 pm »
Your MIFLEX bypass capacitor is the same type as mine; both leads are on the same end.  Did you connect the longer lead to a specific side of the other capacitor, or does it not matter?

They work either way, but may sound slightly different one way verses the other. The shorter lead is considered the input side.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #192 on: 14 Mar 2020, 02:19 pm »
Thanks Danny.

I did make sure both networks were identical in that regard.

Skilly

« Reply #193 on: 24 Mar 2020, 02:49 pm »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 16 May 2020, 04:07 pm by Skilly »

Danny Richie

« Reply #194 on: 24 Mar 2020, 02:55 pm »
Version 1 crossover on the left, and version 2 on the right.

Skilly

« Reply #195 on: 24 Mar 2020, 03:49 pm »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 16 May 2020, 04:07 pm by Skilly »

Danny Richie

« Reply #196 on: 24 Mar 2020, 03:58 pm »
Wouldn't it be ideal for the same version to be in both speakers? I wonder if that had in impact in the sound? So It does raise the question, I have not seen addressed here? What do we do with old parts? Reuse? recycle? turn into pop art? I Suspect the answer will be, "Build more speakers."

That is weird that they put one of each in a pair of speakers. The values are the same. So they should be pretty close.

I don't know what to tell you to do with the old crossovers. I have stacks of them from everything as well.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #197 on: 24 Mar 2020, 03:59 pm »
Danny, can you post a picture of what the Super Mini crossover should look like? That would be helpful for me in a little bit.

Rocket Ronny

kmoser

« Reply #198 on: 15 Apr 2020, 04:10 pm »
Great tutorial! What about one on how you design high pass filters?

vilding

• Musician. Audiophile on a budget.
« Reply #199 on: 19 Apr 2020, 02:27 pm »
Don't know if this is the right place to ask, but....
If I wanna rebuild a pair of xo's and can't find the schematics, is there a relatively easy way to find out the inductance of the coils?
/Hilding the noob viking