Music Reference RM5

rjones5296

Music Reference RM5
« on: 24 Oct 2008, 05:49 pm »
Hello
This is my first post to this group, I saw a section devoted to Music Reference.
I have owned an RM5 for at least 20 years.
The first I bought used in about 1985, I did send it in for an update to Mkll status, then ran it for a good 12 years no problems what so ever.
Then saw another RM5 and bought this preamp this was about 1997, sold the original RM5 to an aquaintance, as far as I know it's still going strong.
So Im on my second RM5 and so far it has been on most of the time for the last 11 years, with the original tubes no less.
I think im about ready for a new set of tubes, I'm getting a little bit of hiss, not noticable unless you have an ear next to a speaker.

My point is, I have been using,collecting,trading building equipment for a long time and there is no doubt in my mind that the reliability and quality of Music Reference is at the top of the list.

I have tried many different preamps, CJ,Mac,Audio Research the RM5 won out every time.
Sadly, I need another preamp, I need 1 more input for a second reel to reel.

I guess the only choice is a later version of the RM5, once you go Music Reference you cant go back.

bob

GMuffley

Re: Music Reference RM5
« Reply #1 on: 25 Oct 2008, 02:18 am »
No need to get rid of your existing RM-5. You can add another input, or send it to Roger for a retrofit.

rjones5296

Re: Music Reference RM5
« Reply #2 on: 25 Oct 2008, 09:12 pm »
I wondered what the upgrade / replace cost would be, I was thinking that a switchbox to handle the extra tape loops I need would be fine.
I notice that the latest version of the RM5 has inputs for phono,cd,tuner,tape1 ,tape2.
Versus off,phono,tuner,tape1,tape2 of my current RM5
bob