NX STUDIO's be more compatible with what 300B amp option?

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

NX-STUDIO's MAY BE USED WITH A PATICULAR 300B AMP OF CONSIDERATION.  FEEDBACK WELCOMED

Quick question, if you had a choice of purchasing a 300B tube amp that had these two options, which option would be best suited to mate up with my NX-STUDIO'S? The manufacturer is offering this particular model amp, with two different build options.

Granted, I like the extra wattage with the 805 tubes, but, I'm more about the quality of the sound, not just bleeding my ears with high SPL's. I realize the Studio's are rated at Specifications:
Efficiency: 87dB
Impedance: 8 Ohm
Frequency: 70Hz-20KHz

The following are the two 300B build options available below:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Option 1.)
The front stage uses one 12AX7 and two 6SN7 vacuum tubes; the driving part uses two 300B tubes to amplify the rear stage.
The front stage uses a 5U4G for rectification
The rear stage uses two 845 vacuum tubes for class A single-ended power amplification.
Rated output power: 23W + 23W (RMS)

Option 2.)
The front stage uses one 12AX7 and two 6SN7 vacuum tubes; the driving part uses two 300B electronic tubes to amplify the rear stage.
The front stage uses a 274B (fishhook style) for rectification
The rear stage uses two 805A vacuum tubes for class A single-ended power amplification
Rated output power: 48 W + 48 W (RMS)

My thoughts are, the 805 has more power and may have a beefier low end, but 845P has tighter more controlled bass. Overall, I suspect the 845 tubes could have better tonal balance overall, as well as a more transparent, natural sound. Also being a bit more relaxed, versus the 805 tubes.

What's the communities take on topic?  My listening room is on the smaller side, acoustically treated.

Interesting read for newcombers about to purchase their first tube amplifier.
https://premiumvacuumtubes.com/what-you-should-know-about-high-voltage-tubes-such-as-845-211-and-805/

« Last Edit: 25 May 2023, 10:16 pm by NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER »

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: NX STUDIO's be more compatible with what 300B amp option?
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2023, 03:08 pm »
Interesting topic. Unfortunately, it's beyond my knowledge level of tubes. Hopefully I'll learn something.  :thumb:

mick wolfe

« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2023, 04:01 pm »
I drive the NX Studio Monitors with a Line Magnetic 218ia. This is a decade old 845 based SET.  Rated at 22 watts per channel it has no trouble playing at volume levels that occasionally peak at 90 db. Average levels probably ranging from high 70's thru the mid 80's. This is a small room as well with a volume of less than 1000 cu. ft. Being that I've always found SET's to sound far stronger than their rated power, I wouldn't be opposed to trying a 300B amp in this room. That said, the 845 has been a very satisfying tube over the years to my ear. Sorry, no experience with the 805.

MarvinTheMartian

« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2023, 07:15 pm »
From our sister circle Spatial Audio.  This thread is worth a read.

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/300b-lovers?

Top notch tube information.
Shawn

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2023, 07:18 pm »
I drive the NX Studio Monitors with a Line Magnetic 218ia. This is a decade old 845 based SET.  Rated at 22 watts per channel it has no trouble playing at volume levels that occasionally peak at 90 db. Average levels probably ranging from high 70's thru the mid 80's. This is a small room as well with a volume of less than 1000 cu. ft. Being that I've always found SET's to sound far stronger than their rated power, I wouldn't be opposed to trying a 300B amp in this room. That said, the 845 has been a very satisfying tube over the years to my ear. Sorry, no experience with the 805.

Thanks for the feedback Mick,
I thought this article about a LM 518ia amp may interest you. Granted, I realize you have a 218ia, but perhaps this articale may be beneficial with your amp model too?  ...scan down page about a quarter of the way.
https://premiumvacuumtubes.com/   
« Last Edit: 26 May 2023, 01:24 am by NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER »

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2023, 07:28 pm »
From our sister circle Spatial Audio.  This thread is worth a read.

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/300b-lovers?

Top notch tube information.
Shawn

Good to know Marvin,
I wish I had time to travel to the Seattle Audio Show, to check out Don Sach's new 300B mono amps.

mick wolfe

« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2023, 04:24 pm »
Thanks for the feedback Mick,
I thought this article about a LM 518ia amp may interest you. Granted, I realize you have a 218ia, but perhaps this articale may be beneficial with your amp model too?  ...scan down page about a quarter of the way.
https://premiumvacuumtubes.com/   

You're more than welcome on the feedback. Actually I've spent some time with the LM518ia. I also have a friend who has owned about every LM amp from that era. This would include the P-P models. We both agree that 218ia is our favorite. And I hasten to add that he's owned the 219ia for a couple years as well. In the end, he felt the 219ia with all the bells and whistles just wasn't as good a value considering the much higher re-tubing costs. This not to mention the heat it generates and its weight coming in at 120lb+. In regard to the 518ia, he rates it in third place of the three LM SET's that he's owned. So strangely enough, a case where solid state rectification and simplicity seems to win the day...at least here, As always YMMV.
In regard to the Linlai 845 DG, I've been running that tube for about a year now. Very nice sounding tube with no complaints or issues to date.... but I knock on wood as I type this. FWIW, bought for Rachel at premiumvacuumtubes.