Perpetual technologies p1a mod to gain?

Rocket

« on: 24 Apr 2005, 01:56 pm »
Hi,

I have the perpetual technologies p1a and p3a combination.  I have recently purchased a new ps audio hca - 2 amplifier and i am satisfied with its sound (well after i modified it anyway).  The amplifier however, isn't a good match with my preamp and the gain is a little on the low side.

As you are aware the p1a reduces gain by 6 db which is accentuating the problem.  I am really happy with the p1a as it does improve the sound somewhat of my digital playback.

Is there anyway i can increase the gain of this unit?  I do not intend to worry about socs as i have custom made speakers and live in australia.

Regards

Rod

SuperMart

« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2005, 02:49 am »
Hi Rod,

I had my P3A modded by Steve Nugent at EA and I now prefer to use it without the P1A. I find the dynamics are much better. Steve makes this suggestion on his site and I agree -  in my system at least. My take is that the P1A tends to roll off the P3A highs and lows but that after the EA mods on the P3A the P1A is overkill. It's nice to get that 6db back, too...

Cheers!

Sa-dono

« Reply #2 on: 26 Apr 2005, 03:39 am »
Is it possible? Yes. Is it a good idea? No. The unit does lower the gain for a reason. You would be much better off trying to increase the gain in the preamp or amp. Just my two cents...