Song3 Encore and SS 6M impressions

floresjc

Song3 Encore and SS 6M impressions
« on: 1 May 2023, 11:34 pm »
TLDR - I've been a happy Salk HT2-TL and Songtower owner for 15 years, and I had a chance to add a couple of new speakers to the corral on a used deal, and I'm very happy with them.

After living with both for a few weeks I can say that both are *amazing* speakers and I'm so glad I got them. I wasn't sure how much of an upgrade the Song3's would be to the HT2-TL's (you can see Jim's response to my question in another thread). But I agree with Jim's main comments. The Song3's are a bit smoother than the HT2-TL's and the bass response is noticeably more voluptuous. I don't have a sub on my main system (which does TV/movies/music) and these things bring the thunder. I also appreciate the three way design, while the HT2-TL's never gave me reason to balk, the Song3's just seem to be so effortless in separating alot of bass with all the fancy stuff happening in the mid range. I really enjoy these speakers. I'm driving them with AVA's Vision RB, MK V DAC, and Insight 440 amp. My wife, who is audio gear agnostic (but has had the benefit of quality gear for all these years now), actually was like "woah" when we turned these things on.

The SS6M's I wasn't sure what to expect. Knowing Jim's work I knew mid to upper freqs would be dialed in. I like full tower speakers for bass response, but I was looking for a "smallish" system to put in my bedroom on top of my dresser with a Sony OLED. I wanted something "fun" that I could just relax and stream music to and read a book or watch a movie. The first thing I put on the system was the movie Empire Strikes Back. I can't believe how much bass comes out of these things. The imaging and soundstage were spot on. Dialogue crystal clear. These things can thump, its full range in a much smaller form factor. I was not expecting this level of dynamism out of a stand speaker. SS used to be Jim's top of the line ,and its not hard to see why. I'm driving this system on a budget, RME ADI-2 DAC with Frank's SET120 amp. I don't think 60wpc were ever more optimally spent. I thought before I received the speakers I might have to supplement this system with a Rythmik L12 or F12, but I don't think so anymore. If I did it would mainly be for giggles. Edit: I was floored by this speaker. I really was.

One thing I appreciate about Jim's speakers is they do everything well. I live in a smaller home with 3 kids. My systems see extensive use across the range, video games, movies, tv, Apple streaming, vinyl, you name it, we probably have it. Incredibly versatile product for everything from serious music study to holiday parties. If either of these products are at all on your radar, pick them up knowing they are the real deal. Here's to another 15 years of Salk nirvana.

Edit: I'll post my five Salk systems in here in case anyone was wondering what I do with them.

Living Room (tv/music): Song3 Encore, AVA Vision RB, MK V DAC, Insight 440 amp

Hobby room (tv/music): HT2-TL, AVA Ultra EC preamp, AVA Vision Phono, AVA FET 550 Ultra amp, Pro-ject turntable.

Office (computer): Songtowers, RME ADI-2 Pro, Insight 240 Amp

Workout Room: Songtowers, Schiit Modi DAC, AVA SET 120 Control amp

Bedroom (tv/music): SS6M, RME ADI-2 FS DAC, AVA SET120 amp

Rich Carlson

Re: Song3 Encore and SS 6M impressions
« Reply #1 on: 2 May 2023, 12:38 pm »
Thanks for sharing your impressions.