STA-9X or AMG STA

eis

• Y M I
STA-9X or AMG STA
« on: 24 Feb 2023, 04:59 pm »
I've read a lot of great information here and am considering either the STA-9X or the AMG STA . I had been considering the PS Audio Stellar S300 (I used to have one) but after reading about the NuPrime amp I've reconsidered.

Musical taste are all over the place - Classic Rock, Smooth Jazz, Chill, Electronic, Blue Grass, Classical - just about anything except Rap and country.

System in VPI turntable, Lumin D2 (with SBooster), going in to a Sutherland N1 preamp and speakers are Klipsch Forte with Crites crossovers.

I've been using a Quad 306 (fully restored) and it's sounds good but...

I also have a pair of Magnepan 1.6 QR that I'd like to be able to swap in periodically. I know I'll probably need two amps when that happens...

Any insights using either of these amps with the Klipsch is appreciated.

Thanks,
eis

John Casler

Re: STA-9X or AMG STA
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2023, 07:50 pm »
Very interesting but VERY DIFFERENT speakers.

I would think your amp selection should be based on the Magnepans since they place the greatest demands on the amp.

Sonically, of course the AMG amp will be better, relative to accuracy and finesse, but only a small amount.

You might also find the Amp Comparison Chart valuable.

https://nuprimeaudio.com/guides/amp-comparison/

eis

• Y M I
« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2023, 12:14 am »
Thank you for the reply John. I'm not sure I'm going to keep the Maggies actually. It really is surprising how good the Forte's sound.

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2023, 05:11 am »
Thank you for the reply John. I'm not sure I'm going to keep the Maggies actually. It really is surprising how good the Forte's sound.

Yes, Paul Klipsch made some incredible speaker designs.

If you keep the Maggies, you'll likely want to get a pair of AMG STA and run them in mono.

If you only need the amp for the Forte, then the stereo version should work fine.
« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2023, 10:45 pm by John Casler »

ianlenco

« Reply #4 on: 25 Mar 2023, 02:45 pm »
I have an AMG STA and really rate it.  I've had a couple of other Class D amps using Hypex and IcePower units but in my opinion the Nuprime units are considerably better.  I've had decent valve and solid state amps in the past costing more than the Nuprime but wouldn't swap any of them for the AMG STA.
Current speakers are homemade transmission lines using a pair of full range Jordan Eikonas per side so with no crossover they are a relatively easy load.

rustydoglim

« Reply #5 on: 26 Mar 2023, 05:43 am »
I have an AMG STA and really rate it.  I've had a couple of other Class D amps using Hypex and IcePower units but in my opinion the Nuprime units are considerably better.  I've had decent valve and solid state amps in the past costing more than the Nuprime but wouldn't swap any of them for the AMG STA.

Thanks. 

eis

• Y M I
« Reply #6 on: 11 Apr 2023, 09:25 pm »
Ok, the AMG STA has been in my system for a little over two weeks now. I've been comparing the STA to a LM3886 based amp. After the first week of listening I was going to send the STA back. But I remembered that my preamplifier has a built in white/pink noise generator in order to break in new components and cables. So I ran it over night (at low levels) and in to the next day. The results were just were exactly what I was looking for. The AMG STA now has the same detailed yet smooth mid-range as the LM3886 but, the bass is so much more impactful and has much better definition than the LM.
This amp has really allowed the me emotional connection to the music I like and listen to.
YMMV as always... But I really like this amplifier.