What PreAmp Do you Recommend

BrandonB

What PreAmp Do you Recommend
« on: 20 Dec 2022, 02:00 am »
I am starting to put together my system in my mind.  I still haven't gotten my speakers but I know they are going to be NX Monitors or Something with the 8in NX Woofers coming out next year.  I'm also thinking about getting an amp from Class D Audio that has the new NaG technology.  I spoke to them thru and email and they are willing to upgrade the wiring, speaker terminals and RCA jacks.  I just have to send the parts.  Tyson owns one of there amps and he was the one who spoke about the upgrade and said it sounds great.  Now I am looking for a preamp.  I don't have much knowledge of preamps.  I asked in another thread what people are using with their amps from Class D and some answered back with Black Ice, Freya+, and Don Sachs.  So I would like to know what you are using with your GR Research speakers.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Re: What PreAmp Do you Recommend
« Reply #1 on: 20 Dec 2022, 03:14 am »
I got one of these.

https://www.psaudio.com/products/gaincell-dac/

It is the best preamp I’ve ever owned. 

The dac part of it is ok but pales compared to my Schiit Yggdrasil.

Early B.

« Reply #2 on: 20 Dec 2022, 03:25 am »
You'll get 100 different responses and still be confused about which preamp to buy. If you're just starting out, get an integrated amp. If you become one of us (and I don't recommend it), then you'll eventually upgrade everything anyway, so start small and build your way up. Keep it simple and less expensive. Trust me -- you don't want to get into the whole cable debate because you can (and should!) easily spend just as much on a single pair of interconnects as the Class D amp on your list.

VinceT

« Reply #3 on: 20 Dec 2022, 03:48 am »
Do you use vinyl or dac as a source, or both? It depends too if you need phono cart loading with your preamp.
« Last Edit: 20 Dec 2022, 05:18 am by VinceT »

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #4 on: 20 Dec 2022, 04:51 am »
I got one of these.

https://www.psaudio.com/products/gaincell-dac/

It is the best preamp I’ve ever owned. 

The dac part of it is ok but pales compared to my Schiit Yggdrasil.

Well that one is unavailable. It's one I like and could afford of course.

I am also on the hunt for a preamp.

Schiit has some options.

If you like diy, I am also looking at Tortuga ePot.V3 Max preamp controller & LDR stepped attenuator.

Also look at Odyssey Audio Candela Vacuum Tube Line Preamplifier or Tempest Line and Phono Preamplifier.

If Danny would resurrect the old DODD(?) battery powered preamp (like he talked about) would be cool, but it is unobtainium now.

Too many options and recommendations lol

Wayne in Oregon

BrandonB

« Reply #5 on: 20 Dec 2022, 05:44 am »
You'll get 100 different responses and still be confused about which preamp to buy. If you're just starting out, get an integrated amp. If you become one of us (and I don't recommend it), then you'll eventually upgrade everything anyway, so start small and build your way up. Keep it simple and less expensive. Trust me -- you don't want to get into the whole cable debate because you can (and should!) easily spend just as much on a single pair of interconnects as the Class D amp on your list.
Funny you say that about not recommending it.  My wife's eyes where getting big when I was trying to explain some of this stuff, but I am trying to keep it less expensive and simple while getting a decent sounding system started. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 20 Dec 2022, 05:53 am »
If you're trying to keep the price down, I'd get the Freya + with the 6SN7 tubes.  You can find them used for a good price, like here:

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649928325-schiit-audio-freya-wmatched-quad-set-jj-tubes/

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #7 on: 20 Dec 2022, 06:22 am »
First off, what is your budget for a new preamp? The Freya Plus is a great budget tube preamp but there are better options depending on your budget.  AVA Hi Fi makes some nice preamps.  Don Sachs makes a great tube preamp and can customize it for you.

I would also look on Audiogon for used preamps.  If you can afford it and want to go solid state, check out this Parasound JC2 preamp.  Read the reviews.  It is a great preamp.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisb17e0-parasound-halo-jc-2-bp-stereo-preamplifier-jc2-remote-45700-solid-state

BrandonB

« Reply #8 on: 20 Dec 2022, 08:25 am »
First off, what is your budget for a new preamp? The Freya Plus is a great budget tube preamp but there are better options depending on your budget.  AVA Hi Fi makes some nice preamps.  Don Sachs makes a great tube preamp and can customize it for you.

I would also look on Audiogon for used preamps.  If you can afford it and want to go solid state, check out this Parasound JC2 preamp.  Read the reviews.  It is a great preamp.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisb17e0-parasound-halo-jc-2-bp-stereo-preamplifier-jc2-remote-45700-solid-state

I'm still trying to figure out what I need  to know what my budget is going to be.  The Freya+ is in my budget but I don't know much about tubes.  I have an idea about what they do but honestly I haven't listened to a tube amp or preamp.

mkrawcz

« Reply #9 on: 20 Dec 2022, 10:46 am »
My two go to pre amps are the PS Audio BHK which is a tube preamp and the Benchmark LA4 which is solid state. Both are really good. But in all honesty, my BHK has been sent back to PS Audio 3 times for repair. So there is that. The nice thing about the Benchmark is you can trial it for 30 days if you’re in the US. I also have a Freya+ which is really good if you’re budget is lower.
https://benchmarkmedia.com/products/benchmark-la4-line-amplifier

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #10 on: 20 Dec 2022, 01:59 pm »
That Benchmark is a beautiful piece. Both in looks and in measurements. It's an easy recommendation imho. And it would do the least to color the setup.

Like EarlyB said, you will get a 100 different responses. All are influenced by their room, speakers, set up, their musical tastes, and needs. Some are really old geezers, some are young geezers with less high frequency hearing loss.

Knowing what your budget is a good start. That immediately puts an impasse on what you can afford.

Good luck! Like EarlyB says, I don't envy "us" - but what a great ride it has been!  :popcorn:

Best,
Anand.

Delta77

« Reply #11 on: 20 Dec 2022, 02:38 pm »
I would agree, that a Integrated Amp would be a better/more affordable choice to start off with.

I believe Danny's speakers are efficient enough to use with tube equipment. Hi efficient speakers are a must in this game.

Once I put tubes into my system I was hooked, way less listing fatigue, and more holographic presentation.
35 watts are plenty for most Hi efficient speakers (90+).
For an Integrated amp a budget of $1,500 to $3,000 would be about right (IMO).
Maybe a used one would from a reputable member of a audio club such as this one, or a new one direct from a small company such as Aric Audio, Decware(long wait will need to buy used), Erhard Audio, Bottle Head, just to name a few.

The Integrated will save you money on a second Power Cable and a set of RCA's, a savings of $200-$1000.

A nice streaming DAC (Lumin) , or Turntable (Denon DP-59) with an Integrated, Danny's speakers and some quality speaker, and RCA cables and you'll be a happy audiophile.

Burt..

oskar

« Reply #12 on: 20 Dec 2022, 03:45 pm »
I'm intrigued by the Lyngdorf integrated amps. They have RoomPerfect; Dsp to correct to your room.
All the reviews say it works extremely well.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 20 Dec 2022, 07:34 pm »
My two go to pre amps are the PS Audio BHK which is a tube preamp and the Benchmark LA4 which is solid state. Both are really good. But in all honesty, my BHK has been sent back to PS Audio 3 times for repair. So there is that. The nice thing about the Benchmark is you can trial it for 30 days if you’re in the US. I also have a Freya+ which is really good if you’re budget is lower.
https://benchmarkmedia.com/products/benchmark-la4-line-amplifier

That actually makes the Freya+ a good option because it can be used in three different modes: passive SS, SS with gain, or tubes with the flick of a switch so you can go back and forth and see what you like best. It's like three different types of preamp in one.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #14 on: 20 Dec 2022, 08:06 pm »
That actually makes the Freya+ a good option because it can be used in three different modes: passive SS, SS with gain, or tubes with the flick of a switch so you can go back and forth and see what you like best. It's like three different types of preamp in one.

This is an interesting and valid point. Actually I would be interested in a blind test of the Freya in passive mode along with the Benchmark LA4 but  at high levels of attenuation (i.e. low volume). That's where differences may be easily heard between the two as the LA4 has a tricked out attenuator that minimizes losses in fidelity at high attenuation levels (or maybe not!!). Which is why gain structure of your entire system overall is important. The less the attenuation, the more the signal (i.e. you maximize your SNR).

That being said, it looks the Freya is a whole lotta 'fun' to play with since it is truly multiple preamp designs in one (not to mention endless tube rolling):

https://www.stereophile.com/content/schiit-freya-line-preamplifier

Best,
Anand.

Jaytor

« Reply #15 on: 20 Dec 2022, 08:51 pm »
Some folks have had good success modifying their Freya preamps with upgrade caps and resistors. This will void the warranty, but if you buy one used that is out of warranty, this might be worth considering.

https://diyaudio.de/the-schiit-freya-multi-mode-preamp/

mkrawcz

« Reply #16 on: 20 Dec 2022, 09:06 pm »
Some folks have had good success modifying their Freya preamps with upgrade caps and resistors. This will void the warranty, but if you buy one used that is out of warranty, this might be worth considering.

I actually did this mod. Just the vcaps and it made a huge difference in tube mode. It’s $400 in caps, but it’s worth it on this preamp.

KTS

« Reply #17 on: 20 Dec 2022, 09:14 pm »
If you're trying to keep the price down, I'd get the Freya + with the 6SN7 tubes.  You can find them used for a good price, like here:

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649928325-schiit-audio-freya-wmatched-quad-set-jj-tubes/

+1 on the Freya+, it works well with the Encore’s. You can also do a bit of tube rolling, if you feel like a change. 6SN7’s are pretty easy to come by.

mick wolfe

« Reply #18 on: 20 Dec 2022, 09:53 pm »
Yes,+2 on the Freya +. Very versatile and an excellent bang for the buck. 128 step volume control, three operational modes with both single ended and XLR inputs/outputs. Responds extremely well to tube rolling, especially many NOS or ANOS varieties. Most of which easily take it to the next level. Then there's the new "solid state tube" as an additional option.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #19 on: 21 Dec 2022, 12:38 am »

Nice link! I do use Vcap ODAM along with a 10% bypass of Miflex for the input stage of solid state diy amp builds (some of which require a cap to eliminate/minimize dc offset).

There is a lot one can modify on that preamp judging by the pictures.

Best,
Anand.