McIntosh MAC 4100

HT1278

McIntosh MAC 4100
« on: 17 Apr 2022, 01:54 pm »
Love the McIntosh equipment but not sure how to get started with it

Saw a McIntosh MAC 4100 receiver that was for sale for $1990 and I thought wow some McIntosh equipment that is less than 3 to 8 K.

Barely know any of their part numbers.  What is a good way to get building a McIntosh system?   

I currently have a Marantz NR1403.  I am currently building X-LS, X-CS, and X-On wall speakers. 

Would like to build some X-Statik, or NX-Otica for stereo only listening.

Carlman

Re: McIntosh MAC 4100
« Reply #1 on: 17 Apr 2022, 02:16 pm »
Why do you want a 4100, what are you trying to accomplish?

I have a Macintosh mc402 amp, mainly because it pairs extraordinarily well with my speakers. It took some time and experimenting (and $$$$) to figure that out.  Every other piece of equipment I have is a different brand, and has been modified heavily, because that's what made that part of the chain optimized for the next part of the chain.

So to get started, start buying equipment and scientifically evaluating it against something else. If you can't afford that, see if you can find some local groups to get together... Go hear something you can experience in person. 

McIntosh holds its value so if you do buy one you can get out of it without losing money usually.  I think of it as a good investment, but ironically it's the last amp I bought 10 plus years ago.  I could sell it today for at least what I paid for it, but I don't know of anything that I could replace it with that would be significantly better at a similar price... In my system, to my ears, etc.

HT1278

« Reply #2 on: 17 Apr 2022, 02:28 pm »
What I would to accomplish is a McIntosh setup with a preamp and amp setup for NX-Otica or X-Staik speakers.  The source would be CD, vinyl, or streaming audio.

Instead of a preamp, and amps, an integrated recover would be great too.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #3 on: 17 Apr 2022, 06:13 pm »
What I would to accomplish is a McIntosh setup with a preamp and amp setup for NX-Otica or X-Staik speakers.  The source would be CD, vinyl, or streaming audio.

Instead of a preamp, and amps, an integrated recover would be great too.

The cheaper Mac gear is ok sounding.  Their more expensive gear sounds much better.

Freo-1

« Reply #4 on: 17 Apr 2022, 06:27 pm »
Due to the collectable status with used McIntosh gear,  one winds up paying more for used than other similar type products.

HT1278

« Reply #5 on: 17 Apr 2022, 09:27 pm »
McIntosh looks great.  What company would be a 2nd or 3rd to McIntosh.  Not sure I know what to look for yet.

I am new to this and I look mostly at Crutchfield or Schiit's web site at equipment.  I recently almost bought a PS Audio Sprout 100 bit decided on an Emotiva TA1 instead for my daughter. 

Want something for me for home theater and stereo to replace my Marantz NR1403 reciever.   It does have preamp outs, so I could just send out to an amp instead.   Just want more "power" something to really feel the GR Research Encore X-LS, perhaps X-Statiks, or NX-Notica's down the road

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #6 on: 17 Apr 2022, 11:18 pm »
McIntosh looks great.  What company would be a 2nd or 3rd to McIntosh.  Not sure I know what to look for yet.

I am new to this and I look mostly at Crutchfield or Schiit's web site at equipment.  I recently almost bought a PS Audio Sprout 100 bit decided on an Emotiva TA1 instead for my daughter. 

Want something for me for home theater and stereo to replace my Marantz NR1403 reciever.   It does have preamp outs, so I could just send out to an amp instead.   Just want more "power" something to really feel the GR Research Encore X-LS, perhaps X-Statiks, or NX-Notica's down the road

What is your budget?  How many channels do you need?  If you want separate 2ch and HT you could go with a 2ch rig that has a HT bypass and then use a HT rig with it.

Freo-1

« Reply #7 on: 18 Apr 2022, 12:16 am »

I've always liked the Yamaha Adventage AVR gear for HT.  Also not bad for 2 channel.

HT1278

« Reply #8 on: 18 Apr 2022, 02:22 am »
If the budget for the AV preamp/amp/integrated reciever etc would be $3500 to start with.

I did not know there were 2 channel rigs with a home theater bypass. Learn something every day.   One idea is to get integrated reciever or AVR with preamp out that down the road I could add stand alone amps. I did not want the McIntosh 4100 in particular I was just surprised to see McIntosh gear under 4k.  I called a vintage audio shop that just restored it and had it for sale.   

HT1278

« Reply #9 on: 18 Apr 2022, 02:23 am »
Typo ... the budget is...

I was trying to say what if my budget was this, what might be a good system. 

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #10 on: 18 Apr 2022, 03:10 am »
If you want an all in one, take a look at Anthem AVR's-

https://www.crutchfield.com/g_10420/Home-Theater-Receivers.html?tp=179&fa=1#&nvpair=FFBrand|Anthem

NAD also with its Dirac room correction

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_745T778/NAD-T-778.html?tp=179

Freo-1

« Reply #11 on: 18 Apr 2022, 12:00 pm »
All good options. Yamaha also has room correction included.