High Pass Filter

ahaiden

Re: High Pass Filter
« Reply #40 on: 25 Aug 2022, 04:04 pm »
Here's the insides of that same filter

Here’s my version, but I’m getting really bad noise come in through these. I can tell why, since there’s a decent amount of exposed wire, but what can I do to fix this? Thanks!

DLStryker

« Reply #41 on: 4 Sep 2022, 01:44 am »
Can I ask what amp or amps you are using?

Rolling off my nx-otica at ~55hz (3db point) via XLR to amp from my modified schitt fretya + (changed all coupling caps to VCAP ODAM) for 95% of songs it doesn't need it, but when I listen to some really heavy EDM songs with a lot of 20-30hz I will bottom the mid drivers when I am playing quite loud. I just don't want to worry about it. 27k input impedance amp so I used 4 0.1uF VCAP ODAM

I tried sonic caps for fun on the high pass filter, sound was okay but lacked a lot of clarity and punch

Then I tried the miflex pure copper, lot more meat on the bones and better detail across the board

Then I tried VCAP ODAM, without burn in - WOW. FAR better than the above two. VCAP ODAM had everything the pure copper miflex did but added far more details but the biggest thing was the SPACE between notes and THE SOUND STAGE BECAME MASSIVE. I then let 400 hours on them and I about cried at the sound. They sound better with these caps then without them. Using 4 perfectly matched to 0.2% tolerance since doing balanced XLR cables from preamp to amp.

I have my nx-otica using all vcap ODAM bypassed by dueland pure silver 0.01 on the tweeter and the mid cap bulk cap is the sonicap but with a 0.1uF vcap ODAM over the miflex and then another 0.01 dueland pure silver and the detail, musicality, and soundstage is just utter next level real.

I personally wouldn't use a miflex anymore after hearing the VCAP ODAM.

ahaiden

« Reply #42 on: 23 Sep 2022, 12:56 am »
Here’s my version, but I’m getting really bad noise come in through these. I can tell why, since there’s a decent amount of exposed wire, but what can I do to fix this? Thanks!

Any help on this?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #43 on: 23 Sep 2022, 02:45 am »
That's really odd, my guess would be either a bad connection somewhere, it's being placed too close to other electrical devices, like a transformer within an amplifier or other electrical device, and it's picking up a lot of electrical noise from it, like an antenna, or it's somehow creating a massive ground loop.

Does the sound go away if you touch the outer housing of the full range output, or does get worse?

If it's acting like an antenna, or has to be kept close to powerful transformers then using some copper shielding kits on the inside like you see for guitars may be a good idea to reduce/prevent EMI issues.
https://www.stewmac.com/electronics/shielding/self-adhesive-shielding-kit/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=2022-09-gp&gclid=Cj0KCQjwj7CZBhDHARIsAPPWv3d3h9QOx80RGneVEPEByXqoI-8k1tidif-GergTGkJRliAVUdPDJKQaAsMyEALw_wcB

I would also check if it's causing a ground loop. Do both connections exhibit the same noise issue? does it exist if only one connection is made, or is it only with both connections are used that the issue arises?

Danny Richie

« Reply #44 on: 24 Sep 2022, 08:42 pm »
Any help on this?

I am kind of wondering if it is a ground connection issue.

whydontumarryit

• Restricted
« Reply #45 on: 25 Sep 2022, 04:06 am »
Any help on this?

Those solder joints are horrible. It's probably diode effect from the cold joints causing RF pickup.

1. The leads ends are tinned first.
2. A good mechanical conection is made to the solder tabs before soldering.
3. The ground tabs should be positioned between 2 nuts not compressed between one nut and the plastic case.
4. You need to apply enough heat to allow the solder to flow uniformly without spent solder sticking to the iron when removed.
5. Practice.

ahaiden

« Reply #46 on: 26 Sep 2022, 07:44 pm »
I hadn’t had any issues all weekend. I run my music off of a desktop, but today as soon as I arrived with my work laptop to put in more hours at home the sound started again, so I’m wondering if it’s picking up WiFi noise.

Edit:As soon as I got done working I turned off my work laptop and the issue went away. So it’s definitely causing some signal to be picked up by my filter.
« Last Edit: 26 Sep 2022, 11:02 pm by ahaiden »

aceinc

« Reply #47 on: 8 Oct 2022, 09:18 pm »
 In my situation I am using a pair of GR-Research OB subs in parallel to Magnepan 2.7 QR speakers and would like to roll off the 1st octave of bass to the Maggies. What would you propose in the scenario where you are running a powered subwoofer using high powered input (speaker level) in parallel with your main speakers?

In the video associated with this thread, Danny specifically says this will not work well due to the necessity of using large value capacitors which smear the sound.

The sound I get running in parallel is good, but I would like to see if it can be improved.

Danny Richie

« Reply #48 on: 10 Oct 2022, 03:51 pm »
In my situation I am using a pair of GR-Research OB subs in parallel to Magnepan 2.7 QR speakers and would like to roll off the 1st octave of bass to the Maggies. What would you propose in the scenario where you are running a powered subwoofer using high powered input (speaker level) in parallel with your main speakers?

In the video associated with this thread, Danny specifically says this will not work well due to the necessity of using large value capacitors which smear the sound.

The sound I get running in parallel is good, but I would like to see if it can be improved.

This little coupling cap and by-pass will work if using a separate amplifier for your main speakers. If you are using an integrated amp or receiver then this type of high pass filter system will not work.

aceinc

« Reply #49 on: 10 Oct 2022, 04:50 pm »
It is not an integrated amp, so if I could run a separate RCA cable to the location where the speakers are I could use the LFE from the sound processor or a simple low pass filter such as this, on the input side of the sub's plate amp.

Running the extra cables is the issue, which is why I run the sub & speaker in parallel.

maty

« Reply #50 on: 15 May 2023, 05:13 pm »
I think Danny should upload a specific video explaining the high pass filter and the improvements it brings.

Yesterday I posted on twitter about it, in Spanish, explaining another possibility in case of not using a subwoofer. By filtering out what the KEF Q100's coaxial woofer does not reproduce directly, I get clearer sound and... more bass!!!

https://twitter.com/nauscopio/status/1657767153850892288

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #51 on: 15 May 2023, 05:48 pm »

maty

« Reply #52 on: 15 May 2023, 05:50 pm »
Thank you / Muchas gracias!

g3rain1

« Reply #53 on: 18 May 2023, 04:21 pm »
Heres a basic one i drew for someone else:

Would this work for balanced interconnects? If not what would that circuit look like?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #54 on: 18 May 2023, 05:00 pm »
Would this work for balanced interconnects? If not what would that circuit look like?
Balanced is going to be quite different
It will be like this:

Here's one with both channels in the same chassis:

Rikard Ekval

« Reply #55 on: 25 May 2023, 08:59 am »
Balanced is going to be quite different
It will be like this:

Here's one with both channels in the same chassis:

Hobbs. Thanks for this picture. But on which lead do we connect the sub out, if I use rca? XLR looks obvious, but do show us. Thanks

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #56 on: 25 May 2023, 02:26 pm »
If you want a full-range RCA out on an XLR bypass:
Positive will be pin 2
Negative will be pin 1

If you want an all RCA filter with both full range and highpass:

Left: input from preamp
Bottom: full range out
Right: high pass out

D2Deets

« Reply #57 on: 30 Jun 2023, 11:17 am »
hey

just wondering if someone could help me out a little, not super knowledgeable about the technical details here but was looking for some advice on what to frequency i should start my -3db roll off, i have some dynaudio geminis (mtm design with dynaudio 15w75 mid drivers) with with a resonant frequency at 55 (so i thought a roll off at 50hz?)

my amps input impedance is 47k so a .68uf cap would be suitable to do my roll off at 50,

below i have upoaded a image aswell as a link of the drivers specs from the dynaudio site, im just wondering if there is a more suitable point to roll these off based on the specs of the driver, cheers

https://site.diy-loudspeakers.com/images/datasheets/loudspeakers/dynaudio/WOOFERS/DYNAUDIO_15W75.pdf

regards

Danny Richie

« Reply #58 on: 30 Jun 2023, 04:04 pm »
Are they in a sealed or ported box?

Also keep in mind that your actual crossover point is going to be where the speakers and subs are both 6db down.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #59 on: 30 Jun 2023, 10:08 pm »
hey

just wondering if someone could help me out a little, not super knowledgeable about the technical details here but was looking for some advice on what to frequency i should start my -3db roll off, i have some dynaudio geminis (mtm design with dynaudio 15w75 mid drivers) with with a resonant frequency at 55 (so i thought a roll off at 50hz?)

my amps input impedance is 47k so a .68uf cap would be suitable to do my roll off at 50,

below i have upoaded a image aswell as a link of the drivers specs from the dynaudio site, im just wondering if there is a more suitable point to roll these off based on the specs of the driver, cheers

https://site.diy-loudspeakers.com/images/datasheets/loudspeakers/dynaudio/WOOFERS/DYNAUDIO_15W75.pdf

regards

Actually, you will need 0.068uF for a -3dB at 50Hz (though it's a fairly uncommon value to find high quality caps)

Considering its a ported MTM design, that should be fine with the -6dB around 40Hz.

You can also use 0.047uF for a -3dB around 72Hz, with a -6dB around 55Hz.