NX-Otica as near-field speaker

Chilkoot

NX-Otica as near-field speaker
« on: 16 Jan 2022, 10:53 pm »
Hi, I have been on the fence deciding to go for NX-Studio or NX-Otica. I have a smaller space (10'6" wide x 18'). Recently, there was a video by AJ that used NX-Extreme is a smaller space and was happy with the results. I am wondering if anyone else has experience using -Oticas in smaller than ideal spaces? I would be interested to hear any comments.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Re: NX-Otica as near-field speaker
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2022, 01:58 am »
I would recommend NX-Studios in that space.  I mean you could do the towers but with a room that narrow I don’t think you would get the best out of them.  My $0.02.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2022, 02:19 am »
That’s too small for the full tower NX-Otica plus separate OB subs.  However you could get a pair of OB subs and use them as stands for a pair of NX-Otica MTM bookshelf speakers.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2022, 02:28 am »
That’s too small for the full tower NX-Otica plus separate OB subs.  However you could get a pair of OB subs and use them as stands for a pair of NX-Otica MTM bookshelf speakers.

This is what I did. While my current room is 12x14, the speakers were originally in a room that was 10x11. In such small rooms, room treatment consisting of absorption in the corners and diffusion in the center behind the speakers was necessary to keep the midrange from sounding like it was coming from the back of a cave.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2022, 03:34 am »
Only issue with the Otica-MTM is that we don't have plans to produce any more, and the last available flat-pack has already been claimed, and should be shipping out in the next few days.

The current plan is to replace it with a unit using 3x 8" servo subs instead of the 4x M165 woofers as an all in one unit better suited for smaller rooms.
But that plan isn't quite ready yet due to the amp issue, as well as needing to design the new cabinet.

subsonic1050

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jan 2022, 12:26 am »
I have NX-tremes with a pair of triple servo subs in a room that is 14x19 - sounds fantastic. I know Chewbacca has his Oticas in a room roughly your size and also thinks they are unbelievable. I say go for it.

AKLegal

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jan 2022, 01:48 am »
Only issue with the Otica-MTM is that we don't have plans to produce any more, and the last available flat-pack has already been claimed, and should be shipping out in the next few days.

The current plan is to replace it with a unit using 3x 8" servo subs instead of the 4x M165 woofers as an all in one unit better suited for smaller rooms.
But that plan isn't quite ready yet due to the amp issue, as well as needing to design the new cabinet.

Excellent idea.

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #7 on: 18 Jan 2022, 01:58 am »
There is a wonderful video with John Darko & Bruno Putzey's where Bruno mentions that small speakers in a small room is the crudest form of room correction that there is, ie. Ill advised, get the Otica's, i've heard them in Jay's room which is 18 X 12 and they were fantastic!!

Cheers,

Don

Chilkoot

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jan 2022, 06:26 am »
Thanks all for the comments. I would be curious to learn more about the new MTM concept. In my space, a single unit would likely work well.