BDA 3.14 radio going silent

Speaker freak

BDA 3.14 radio going silent
« on: 13 Oct 2021, 04:07 pm »
I bought a BDA 3.14 two months ago, mainly to listen to internet radio while I work. I'm very happy with the SQ from all the sources I have tried, including some native DSD files from David Elias which sound amazing.

However, the internet radio goes silent at random intervals, often several times each day. I can restart it immediately in Media Player by pressing OFF then ON. The internet link is Cat5 ethernet cable and the broadband is stable at 30mbs download. No other device cuts out during the day.

In addition, most of the green indicator lights illuminate together on occasions. Is this a fault code?

Sadly, I have posted this problem on the Bryston service site, emailed Bryston several times and also emailed the service department at PMC (UK distributor) and no-one has replied. Not what I expected from what I thought was a paragon of customer service.

Can anyone on here suggest a solution? If I can't fix it I may have to send it back and look elsewhere. All my kit is Bryston and I love the brand (until now).

GrooveControl

Re: BDA 3.14 radio going silent
« Reply #1 on: 13 Oct 2021, 07:58 pm »
Hi Speaker freak, I listen to more internet radio than anything else these days, and have had similar experience but with different equipment.  My setup is wireless networking, Volumio on RPI4 with a Topping D10s DAC.  What I'm getting to is that there are so many possible points of failure that it's almost impossible to address this.  There are times when I would get multiple dropouts per hour from a locally streaming station.  JazzFM91.  Is it the station, Rogers internet, my router, Volumio, the DAC? --- who knows!  What I do know is that sometime it's bad, then I'll go six months without a single dropout!   I don't bother trying to troubleshoot this stuff anymore, just put up with it.  I suspect, but without proof,  it's the internet service, even if it's megaspeed you are paying for. 

Enjoy the digital world. 

Speaker freak

« Reply #2 on: 14 Oct 2021, 10:34 am »
Hi GrooveControl, thanks for the observations.

I avoided wifi as it can be less reliable than ethernet. In your case that's the first thing I would check if you have dropouts.
However, before I bought the 3.14 I listened to internet radio on my PC through VTuner. Exactly the same favourite station (1.fm - Otto's Baroque). It never once dropped out over several weeks and it still doesn't even when the 3.14 goes silent and they are both using the same network and broadband link. So I think that probably rules out the station and the broadband service.
The multiple indicator lights suggest a fault in the 3.14.
If the dropouts were only occasional maybe I could put up with it but several times a day is more than irritating.
I thought that Bryston would be able to check the unit remotely but I can't reach anyone there. It's very disappointing. I have read so many glowing reports of excellent customer service, their products usually seem bulletproof and the SQ is amazing. I feel let down.

James, if you are reading this please get someone to contact me.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 14 Oct 2021, 11:09 am »
Please contact atanner@bryston.com

james

Speaker freak

« Reply #4 on: 14 Oct 2021, 11:16 am »
You have email.

Keith

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #5 on: 14 Oct 2021, 11:53 am »
You have email.

Keith

Hi Keith

atanner@bryston.com

GrooveControl

« Reply #6 on: 14 Oct 2021, 12:28 pm »

The multiple indicator lights suggest a fault in the 3.14.

Sorry, I didn't notice the lights.  Agreed, doesn't look right.   

Speaker freak

« Reply #7 on: 19 Oct 2021, 10:29 am »
Update: Chris Rice at Bryston is investigating. Seems there was a similar problem with several customers unable to access Radio Paradise. Chris has a beta fix which I downloaded.

My BDA 3.14 is now rock solid on Radio Paradise. Left it on for over 24 hours and no dropouts. So the broadband is not to blame and the 3.14 proves it can work.

Problem is I don't want to listen to Radio Paradise. I don't like the content, I don't want irritating interruptions from announcers and advertisers. I just want continuous music. The whole point of internet radio is to have a free choice from thousands of stations. Unfortunately for me the 4 stations I most want to listen to are hosted by Shoutcast. bRadio uses Shoutcast so is flaky. It still drops numerous times every day.

I am waiting to hear from Chris what Bryston are doing to provide a reliable internet radio service. It may be a fix to bRadio or a new function.

If anyone else has a similar problem with bRadio please join me as I don't think I will get far if I'm the only one with the issue.

gbaby

« Reply #8 on: 19 Oct 2021, 08:00 pm »

I am waiting to hear from Chris what Bryston are doing to provide a reliable internet radio service. It may be a fix to bRadio or a new function.

If anyone else has a similar problem with bRadio please join me as I don't think I will get far if I'm the only one with the issue.

I have the BDP-3, and I noticed that the digital radio stations have been off for quite some time although I didn't mention it. I hope it is fixed.