Modifying cabinet size?

ScottMoonShot

Modifying cabinet size?
« on: 12 Oct 2021, 09:58 pm »
How do you all feel about small modification of cabinet size?

I would like to fit the X-CS on top of my vintage stereo console and still open the lids. The space measures 19 1/4  inches. The X-CS is 20 inches wide. Can I cut it down to 19 inches without affecting the sound design significantly?

Many of you believe everything matters? But how much? I am also thinking this is a center channel for home theater use not for two channel hi-fi listening, so shouldn't matter as much yes?

Side note-
Do any of you wood experts know what wood my console is made of for sure?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: Modifying cabinet size?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Oct 2021, 10:05 pm »
You can cut it by an inch overall down, so long as you make it deeper to compensate for the change in airspace.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 12 Oct 2021, 10:09 pm »
It looks like oak to me but I wouldn't swear to it.

ScottMoonShot

« Reply #3 on: 12 Oct 2021, 10:20 pm »
You can cut it by an inch overall down, so long as you make it deeper to compensate for the change in airspace.

Then I wouldn't be able to just modify a stock flat pack? Unless the flat pack is rabbited and I replace the back panel with non rabbited surface mounted piece? I would have to do the math on volume change.

I'm not a wood worker so want to use a flat pack.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #4 on: 12 Oct 2021, 10:44 pm »

Looks like Walnut...a little faded. It was popular and plentiful in the era.

You could stand the cabinet up if you have the vertical space. Horizontal MTM is not ideal, it's just what folks want or expect to see.  I don't know if Danny tilts the response on these for center channel use.

ScottMoonShot

« Reply #5 on: 12 Oct 2021, 10:59 pm »

Looks like Walnut...a little faded. It was popular and plentiful in the era.

You could stand the cabinet up if you have the vertical space. Horizontal MTM is not ideal, it's just what folks want or expect to see.  I don't know if Danny tilts the response on these for center channel use.

Walnut seems right.

Not enough room to stand up. Is not the X-CS designed to be horizontal?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #6 on: 12 Oct 2021, 11:08 pm »
Walnut seems right.

Not enough room to stand up. Is not the X-CS designed to be horizontal?

Not necessarily. GR site says it can be used for left/right, which would lead me to believe it isn't center specific.  Hobbs? Danny?

Not sure it matters if you don't have room though.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 12 Oct 2021, 11:54 pm »
Then I wouldn't be able to just modify a stock flat pack? Unless the flat pack is rabbited and I replace the back panel with non rabbited surface mounted piece? I would have to do the math on volume change.

I'm not a wood worker so want to use a flat pack.

The flatpack does indeed uses rabbits and dados.
I would get in contact with Killian who makes our flatpacks if you want something custom.
You can reach out to him at dentonwoodworkers@gmail.com

Not necessarily. GR site says it can be used for left/right, which would lead me to believe it isn't center specific.  Hobbs? Danny?

Not sure it matters if you don't have room though.

Correct, they can be used as L/R speakers as well as a center chanbel. You just need to stand it up on its side and rotate the binding post cup or tube connectors.

You would just need to buy a pair since they are sold as single units.

ScottMoonShot

« Reply #8 on: 13 Oct 2021, 12:14 am »
The flatpack does indeed uses rabbits and dados.
I would get in contact with Killian who makes our flatpacks if you want something custom.
You can reach out to him at dentonwoodworkers@gmail.com

Correct, they can be used as L/R speakers as well as a center chanbel. You just need to stand it up on its side and rotate the binding post cup or tube connectors.

You would just need to buy a pair since they are sold as single units.

Good to know, thanks for the information.

subsonic1050

« Reply #9 on: 13 Oct 2021, 12:33 am »
It looks like butternut, but could easily be a lighter walnut. If you can easily dent it with a fingernail it's butternut, if you can't it's walnut.

AlexH

« Reply #10 on: 13 Oct 2021, 02:18 am »
My guess is walnut as well. If not stained walnut will fade over the years.n And it was very popular to use on stereo equipment of that time.

ScottMoonShot

« Reply #11 on: 13 Oct 2021, 04:58 am »
It looks like butternut, but could easily be a lighter walnut. If you can easily dent it with a fingernail it's butternut, if you can't it's walnut.

To hard for the fingernail.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #12 on: 13 Oct 2021, 02:43 pm »
X-CS make great stereo speakers.  I sometimes miss the pair I sold. 

You may want to check if there’s a Bravo version of the X-CS forthcoming.  With the smaller woofers it might fit better.

subsonic1050

« Reply #13 on: 14 Oct 2021, 12:07 am »
To hard for the fingernail.

Definitely walnut then. Just faded over the years a little.

ScottMoonShot

« Reply #14 on: 9 Dec 2021, 10:24 pm »
I have a new brilliant idea! (yeah maybe?)

Is there a problem with replacing the two side MDF panels with 1/4" steel plates? Has anyone built speakers with thick steel?

How would that sound?

NoahH

« Reply #15 on: 10 Dec 2021, 02:03 am »

Is there a problem with replacing the two side MDF panels with 1/4" steel plates? Has anyone built speakers with thick steel?

How would that sound?

Magico and YG Acoustics use a lot of metal. But you have to cross-brace like mad.

Milling out a big piece of aluminum is more common

russellberg

« Reply #16 on: 10 Dec 2021, 03:09 am »

How would that sound?
I think you might end up with resonance issues with steel, but I am just guessing.

ScottMoonShot

« Reply #17 on: 10 Dec 2021, 04:20 pm »
Magico and YG Acoustics use a lot of metal. But you have to cross-brace like mad.

Milling out a big piece of aluminum is more common

I could do aluminum. Less resonance over steel?

This would be just the side panels to make the box narrower. No rez added of course.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #18 on: 10 Dec 2021, 05:53 pm »
All materials resonate. The key is keeping that resonance out of audible range. If choosing between 1/4" aluminum or steel, I'd choose steel because of density and stiffness. Damp it well and I doubt you'd see any measurable effect.
 Is going from 3/4" material to 1/4" for an actual dimensional change of 1" really the deal breaker?

ScottMoonShot

« Reply #19 on: 10 Dec 2021, 06:25 pm »
All materials resonate. The key is keeping that resonance out of audible range. If choosing between 1/4" aluminum or steel, I'd choose steel because of density and stiffness. Damp it well and I doubt you'd see any measurable effect.
 Is going from 3/4" material to 1/4" for an actual dimensional change of 1" really the deal breaker?

I know this seems trivial, and it is trivial. The stereo console was inherited from my grandparents and I restored and replaced the capacitors a couple years ago. I love it as a center piece for the living room/home theater.

The space measures 19 1/4  inches. The X-CS is 20 inches wide. I need to loose 3/4" to open the lids on each side.