X-CS Build!

Jmitchell3

X-CS Build!
« on: 11 Oct 2021, 08:26 pm »
Well after being a long-time lurker, and becoming an owner of a pair of AV123 xStatiks picked up from a local seller, i am finally doing my first ever build—- a kit to replace my Klipsch center channel to match the ‘statiks.

On a road trip from AZ to Ohio stopped by and met hobbs and danny and picked up the kit with a flatpack. Danny had hobbs’ new xstatik build burning-in inside the famed listening room, so he graciously treated me to some jack johnson and allison kraus and got to hear the setup with the Ob subs…..and yes, they are awesome.

So here i am on vacation and have a build to get done. Just finished mounting and wiring the crossover. Picked a scrap board which looks poor enough to make the parts look extra shiny! Lol. Soldering etc to go once I've got the cabinet started. Will plan to post pics as i get along!

If any of you eagle-eyes out there have any suggestions, I’d be much obliged!

Jmitchell3

Re: X-CS Build!
« Reply #1 on: 12 Oct 2021, 01:22 am »
Took time to fit the crossover and dry fit the flatpack and drivers. We were very impressed by the quality of the flatpack. Hoping to get the box glued up and the crossover soldered tomorrow!

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 12 Oct 2021, 01:38 am »
Looking good so far! :thumb:

Jmitchell3

« Reply #3 on: 12 Oct 2021, 05:29 pm »
Completed crossover w wiring. On to the box assembly!

Jmitchell3

« Reply #4 on: 15 Oct 2021, 03:10 pm »
Testing the crossover and drivers before assembly. Its alive!

Jmitchell3

« Reply #5 on: 20 Oct 2021, 12:21 am »
Had company this weekend. Finally got the rest of the cabinet glued and started sanding. The hardware stores seem to be out of primer and spray paint :/ not sure what I’m gonna do to treat and paint them at this point.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 20 Oct 2021, 12:35 am »
I've heard of people using PVA glue to seal MDF as a sealer/primer.
But you could always do a vinyl wrap, veneer, or something like pigmented lacquer.
But yeah it's getting tough to find basic products lately.

Jmitchell3

« Reply #7 on: 20 Oct 2021, 12:49 am »
Yarg! :/

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #8 on: 20 Oct 2021, 01:45 am »
I've heard of people using PVA glue to seal MDF as a sealer/primer.
But you could always do a vinyl wrap, veneer, or something like pigmented lacquer.
But yeah it's getting tough to find basic products lately.

Minwax sanding sealer
Rustins clear sealer
Riot Arts Modge podge

Cheers
SC

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #9 on: 20 Oct 2021, 01:46 am »
Had company this weekend. Finally got the rest of the cabinet glued and started sanding. The hardware stores seem to be out of primer and spray paint :/ not sure what I’m gonna do to treat and paint them at this point.

Looking good Jmitchell3

Jmitchell3

« Reply #10 on: 20 Oct 2021, 01:46 am »
Minwax sanding sealer
Rustins clear sealer
Riot Arts Modge podge

Cheers
SC

Cool ill see if i can find any of those local or on the interwebs!

Jmitchell3

« Reply #11 on: 25 Oct 2021, 10:14 pm »
Been busy, finally got back to the speaker build.

About 3 rounds of priming and sanding, 1/4” round-over applied; I didn’t have a 3/8” bit. Assuming on my center channel speaker for home theater it won’t make much of a difference. Would it ok to apply the larger roundover over this smaller one? Or apply it in the future if I decide I want to?

Some small blemishes to take care of, then another round of sanding and one more prime coat if needed, then paint!

mkane

« Reply #12 on: 25 Oct 2021, 10:42 pm »
Nice. Brave one painting with drivers in place

Jmitchell3

« Reply #13 on: 25 Oct 2021, 11:01 pm »
Nice. Brave one painting with drivers in place

Lol. No drivers. Just taped the edges of the holes and stuffed with filler to keep the insides relatively overspray-free!

Jmitchell3

« Reply #14 on: 27 Oct 2021, 01:16 am »
Ok! After some filling, more priming and sanding, the first coat of paint is applied. Hoping I don’t have runs when it dries….

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #15 on: 27 Oct 2021, 01:19 am »
Jmitchell3 it is looking so good.

Only 5 more coats with wet sanding in between each one. Then cut/polish with wool pad and then finish polish foam pad at the end and your all done. :):):)

What MDF sealer did you end up going with?

Cheers
SC

Jmitchell3

« Reply #16 on: 27 Oct 2021, 01:29 am »
Jmitchell3 it is looking so good.

Only 5 more coats with wet sanding in between each one. Then cut/polish with wool pad and then finish polish foam pad at the end and your all done. :):):)

What MDF sealer did you end up going with?

Cheers
SC

Lol yeah  :lol:  :o so like maybe kind of 2/3 done haha. Actually it’s a matte paint. Depending on how I like it may clear coat with acrylic or poly or something.

Ended up using Rust-Oleum shellac primer and some good ole wood putty to fill in blemishes. The paint section for this kind of stuff was like the toilet paper isle in April 2020 :/

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #17 on: 27 Oct 2021, 09:38 pm »
Lol yeah  :lol:  :o so like maybe kind of 2/3 done haha. Actually it’s a matte paint. Depending on how I like it may clear coat with acrylic or poly or something.

Ended up using Rust-Oleum shellac primer and some good ole wood putty to fill in blemishes. The paint section for this kind of stuff was like the toilet paper isle in April 2020 :/

:D so who did you fight for the last can? Matte is good for hiding blemishes but not as good as crinkled duratex that I am not a fan of.
SC

Jmitchell3

« Reply #18 on: 27 Oct 2021, 10:14 pm »
Some old lady. Laid her out pretty good. Feeling kind of guilty. She had long fingernails though, so I’m calling it self defense.

Yeah, figured I’d go simple for the first build here. It’s going in a cabinet so only the front will be visible. Haven’t decided on a top coat yet.

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #19 on: 27 Oct 2021, 11:54 pm »
Some old lady. Laid her out pretty good. Feeling kind of guilty. She had long fingernails though, so I’m calling it self defense.

Yeah, figured I’d go simple for the first build here. It’s going in a cabinet so only the front will be visible. Haven’t decided on a top coat yet.

Gloss would make the drivers stand out less while matte would make them stand off. Also if you have a grill then that changes things as well as most of the finish is covered up by the cabinet and the grill.
SC