How to clean drivers

NoahH

How to clean drivers
« on: 10 Oct 2021, 12:17 am »
Yet more questions for the crowd as I get my kit ready.

Some of the drivers have a white substance on the cones (see photo). This raises a few questions.

1 - any idea what this is and if it is an issue?
2 - if it is purely cosmetic, any safe suggestions on cleaning? A wet cloth got another driver with this cleaner, but it still looks a little discolored. Also, the one in the photo is closer to the dust cap, and I am worried I will not be able to clean it effectively near the dust cap unless I use something thin with a solvent, but I fear a solvent will damage the cone.

Any advice?

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
Re: How to clean drivers
« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2021, 12:37 am »
I use a make up brush that one of the daughters didn't need.  It's probably over 4 inch handle and almost 2 inch of very soft bristle.   It's also about as big as my thumb.  Great for keyboards and louvers, knows etc. 

Alan

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2021, 02:14 am »
This is a doped cone?
I dont know this driver but IMO in my past experience clean doped cones/suspensions or silk domes by rubbing or brushing is a dangerous job as they stick on everything.
« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2021, 03:16 am by FullRangeMan »

hawkeyejw

« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2021, 04:29 am »
Is it an optical illusion or does your phase plug have a dent in it? If it’s dented, is it possible the cone has damage as well? It’s hard to tell on the reduced resolution photos on here what exactly is going on.

subsonic1050

« Reply #4 on: 10 Oct 2021, 04:38 am »
Is it an optical illusion or does your phase plug have a dent in it? If it’s dented, is it possible the cone has damage as well? It’s hard to tell on the reduced resolution photos on here what exactly is going on.

I just got most of the parts for my nxtremes today as well - and they also have some kind of white powder or residue on the cones. I think I'll be able to clean them off just with a microfiber cloth or something but haven't tried it yet.

NoahH

« Reply #5 on: 10 Oct 2021, 06:07 am »

Optical illusion. The cap is fine, just that weird stuff on there.

The brushes are a good idea generally, but this seems to be more adhered...

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #6 on: 10 Oct 2021, 11:52 am »
I wouldn't ever use any solvent or cleaner on the cone of any speaker.  Especially these that look like they have a coating on them.  If it doesn't come off with a brush, I use paint brushes, it was meant to be there.

hawkeyejw

« Reply #7 on: 10 Oct 2021, 01:26 pm »
Optical illusion. The cap is fine, just that weird stuff on there.

The brushes are a good idea generally, but this seems to be more adhered...

Got it. Like Letitroll98 I’d not recommend a solvent as it would be hard to know if it would dissolve the treatment on the paper cone. Hopefully you can get it dislodged!

lancruiser_

« Reply #8 on: 10 Oct 2021, 07:06 pm »
You might want to try a foam tipped swab and a can of compressed air. The "great satan of retail" sells both.

jmc207

« Reply #9 on: 10 Oct 2021, 07:40 pm »
Similar to the previous post, what about a Q-tip cotton swab, possibly dampened with just a drop or so of water?

You might want to try a foam tipped swab and a can of compressed air. The "great satan of retail" sells both.

lancruiser_

« Reply #10 on: 10 Oct 2021, 07:52 pm »
A good idea unles the cone has a sticky surface, regular q-tips can shed fibers. An example of foam tips.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=foam+tip+swab&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

e_biz80

« Reply #11 on: 11 Oct 2021, 12:41 am »
Don’t use rubbing alcohol. Learned my lesson.  That’s the only gripe I have with my Nx-Treme’s is all the imperfections on the mids and woofers.

NoahH

« Reply #12 on: 11 Oct 2021, 02:34 am »
I took the brush advice and it worked pretty well. There is still a discoloration on the cones, but I guess I need to live with that.

Thanks all!

Theronbo

« Reply #13 on: 10 Nov 2021, 06:52 pm »
My X-Statiks & Voce are over a year old now. Never built a speaker cover… cause the drivers look so cool…

Nice dust collectors though…

Did google search: how to clean speaker drivers

1. Don’t touch tweeter domes.
2. Use dry micro fiber cloth.
3. Use extremely wrung out wet micro fiber cloth if extra cleaning.

Comments. I used eyeglass cleaning cloths. They are much finer material than just  generic cleaning cloths.
I used zero pressure. Weight of the cloth seemed adequate.

Pics below

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #14 on: 10 Nov 2021, 07:03 pm »
One thing is certain...don't use a pressure washer.

I use a Swiffer duster. Before that it was a feather duster. I've even used canned air like for keyboards on occasion.

Shives

• I like French fries
« Reply #15 on: 11 Nov 2021, 01:20 pm »
Swiffer for the win!  Agreed Peter J. It works great when they are cleaned up.

So, sometimes dust collects, the white substance could even be a mold… Figure shipped in hot containers. Coming across ocean… maybe.. But dust, or what not… I use the swifer… also when I first got my speakers, they were very dirty. So, wet microfiber worked well to get them clean. Now I use this fury yellow thing once a week on them, to keep the cones free of dust!
Be super gentle. No pressure washer. Ha ha ha.

Absolutely zero solvent based items! Or any type of liquid other then water. Absolutely no alcohol.. it will strip the coating from the paper cone.

Agreed. I do like the way they look with no grills.

Chops

« Reply #16 on: 13 Nov 2021, 07:20 am »
My X-Statik's are going on 14 years old, and I have always just used a microfiber cloth on the drivers and even very very lightly over the tweeter domes. The cones and their coatings are more durable than one would think. Mine still look brand spankin' new after all of these years.