Purifi Drivers

NoahH

Purifi Drivers
« on: 11 Mar 2022, 03:47 am »
All the discussion of class D amps reminded me that Purifi makes drivers too.

Has anyone (Danny in particular) looked at them?

2oldcranks

Re: Purifi Drivers
« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2022, 05:35 am »
Hi
I just had the pleasure of meeting MR salk and his wife at the production facility near me in Mi.
Listened to the pair of speakers with those drivers,They were luscious and now I am thinking of selling my song3s and getting the BePures,those drivers look like nothing Ive seen and I wanted to shut off the lights,pour a drink and a smoke and just stay there and listen.
The Salks are one cool couple and super hospitable,what a pleasure to meet them and see behind the curtain 8)
Suggest calling them and he will tell you about the drivers,

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2022, 12:55 pm »
Hi
I just had the pleasure of meeting MR salk and his wife at the production facility near me in Mi.
Listened to the pair of speakers with those drivers,They were luscious and now I am thinking of selling my song3s and getting the BePures,those drivers look like nothing Ive seen and I wanted to shut off the lights,pour a drink and a smoke and just stay there and listen.
The Salks are one cool couple and super hospitable,what a pleasure to meet them and see behind the curtain 8)
Suggest calling them and he will tell you about the drivers,

Thanks for the heads up that Salk has them.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2022, 01:57 pm »
There is some discussion on the Salk circle with Jim and Dennis about the Purifi mid/woofers. They are excellent drivers, plain and simple, but, and there's always a but, they really aren't intended to be used as woofers in small cabinets (as in a small bookshelf design).  The high excursion at low frequencies in small boxes requires very long ports or possibly multiple passive radiators and the issues those introduce. Salk put 2 in a larger floorstanding cabinet with a lot of vent area to overcome that issue. 

A friend and I recently built a small 2 way with the Purifi 6.5" mid/woofer and the SB Acoustics beryllium tweeter in a waveguide that we left sealed as I don't think small woofers should be used for deep bass anyway.  They are -3db down @65hz and are used above subwoofers. The Purifi has excellent midrange.

NoahH

« Reply #4 on: 11 Mar 2022, 06:31 pm »
there's always a but, they really aren't intended to be used as woofers in small cabinets (as in a small bookshelf design). 

... Or open baffle. ;)

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #5 on: 11 Mar 2022, 06:45 pm »
Playing some 6.5's now, 4L sealed box, with the 34mm Bliesma on top, dsp controlled/boosted and flat to 30 !!!

Cheers,

Don

Early B.

« Reply #6 on: 11 Mar 2022, 07:09 pm »
I'm waiting for them to produce a 12" mid-woofer.

jjphoto

« Reply #7 on: 11 Mar 2022, 08:22 pm »
... Or open baffle. ;)

I wonder what Purifi (ie their technical experts) would have to say about using the 6.5 " drivers in an open baffle setup and whether they would recommend that application. But this is exactly what I have in mind for my own OB speakers (specifically using 2x6.5" drivers per side in an WMTMW arrangement, with 12" woofers).

I'm waiting for them to produce a 12" mid-woofer.

IIRC they are working on an 8", hopefully that will be available soon.

MarvinTheMartian

« Reply #8 on: 11 Mar 2022, 08:30 pm »
Erin's Audio Corner just released a review of March Audio Sointuva, impressed except for the 82dB sensitivity.
https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/march_audio_sointuva/

Also detailed Purifi driver reviews , not the TS parameters required for open baffle.
https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/driveunits/purifi_4/
https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/driveunits/purifi_ptt65w04/

Not too bad for "New kids on the block" : ) 
I'm sure Purifi and Erin both have long audio histories .
Shawn

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #9 on: 12 Mar 2022, 01:19 am »
I wonder what Purifi (ie their technical experts) would have to say about using the 6.5 " drivers in an open baffle setup and whether they would recommend that application...
They answer emails. I contacted them about my project. Their preference is using them as midrange drivers, not woofers. The message I received was using them in a small (1.5-2 liter) sealed box with an 8" or 10" below them in a 3 way design crossed over at about 200hz. This will allow the lowest possible distortion and highest power response. As an example:

jjphoto

« Reply #10 on: 12 Mar 2022, 11:31 am »
They answer emails. I contacted them about my project. Their preference is using them as midrange drivers, not woofers. The message I received was using them in a small (1.5-2 liter) sealed box with an 8" or 10" below them in a 3 way design crossed over at about 200hz. This will allow the lowest possible distortion and highest power response. As an example:

I will contact them before ordering anything. I'm planning on using the extended stroke versions specifically for the lower midrange or upper bass and to around 2k. I'm likely to hold off until they do release the 8" which might be better suited. Not really sure but I'm not in a hurry either.

Did you use the PTT6.5W, X or M? The M is intended for midrange use.

paolocaminiti

« Reply #11 on: 12 Mar 2022, 02:50 pm »
Also detailed Purifi driver reviews , not the TS parameters required for open baffle.
https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/driveunits/purifi_4/
https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/driveunits/purifi_ptt65w04/

Which TS parameters would matter when used as ob midrange? Perhaps only sensitivity?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #12 on: 12 Mar 2022, 03:43 pm »
Which TS parameters would matter when used as ob midrange? Perhaps only sensitivity?

High Qts (like 0.8 or higher)
High Vas (higher the better)

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #13 on: 12 Mar 2022, 05:06 pm »
....Did you use the PTT6.5W, X or M? The M is intended for midrange use.
We used the "'X" model. At the time we weren't 100% sure we were going to go sealed and wanted to be able to add a port if desired. When we purchased last fall, the "M" and aluminum cone drivers weren't available. I'm sure folks building a 3-4 way will appreciate the higher sensitivity of the "M".  It's really surprising they are $150 more per pair than when I bought mine last fall. $825 for a pair of mid woofers is tough. I would have gone a different way at that price.

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #14 on: 12 Mar 2022, 06:36 pm »
Wait until we see the prices of the 8's!!

Don

Danny Richie

« Reply #15 on: 12 Mar 2022, 06:51 pm »
Norman Tracy brought a speaker by that he was working on that had the 6.5" woofer in it.

I designed a crossover for it, and it turned out real well.

I wasn't blown away by it, but I didn't see any problems with it other than the high price tag.

david45

« Reply #16 on: 16 Mar 2022, 03:50 pm »
Playing some 6.5's now, 4L sealed box, with the 34mm Bliesma on top, dsp controlled/boosted and flat to 30 !!!

Cheers,

Don

How are you liking the 4-channel amp with DSP and Merging DAC?

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #17 on: 18 Mar 2022, 04:35 pm »
Hello David, hope all is well in lovely Montreal;

Running 2-2 channel amps per side, fantastic, effortless sound, the upgraded power supply is a must do.

Don

david45

« Reply #18 on: 18 Mar 2022, 11:59 pm »
Hello David, hope all is well in lovely Montreal;

Running 2-2 channel amps per side, fantastic, effortless sound, the upgraded power supply is a must do.

Don

As lovely as Montreal can be, I’m actually considering spending a few days in Kelowna this summer :)

Thank you for answering my questions as well as guiding some of my decisions, Don, and have a great weekend!