OB H Frame 12's Amp Question

jimbones

OB H Frame 12's Amp Question
« on: 8 Sep 2021, 09:29 pm »
I run my OB H Frame 12's with the Rythmik Servo Amp. Has anyone run it with a traditional class AB Non servo amp? If so what were the results? Thanks.

subsonic1050

Re: OB H Frame 12's Amp Question
« Reply #1 on: 8 Sep 2021, 10:18 pm »
I run my OB H Frame 12's with the Rythmik Servo Amp. Has anyone run it with a traditional class AB Non servo amp? If so what were the results? Thanks.

I haven't done so, but I'm curious - why would you want to?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 8 Sep 2021, 10:34 pm »
Without the servo, you loose all the control and immediacy of their response. They will likely just sound muddy and weak. it may over-drive them at higher volumes since there is no real means of knowing their position.

jimbones

« Reply #3 on: 10 Sep 2021, 11:35 pm »
I haven't done so, but I'm curious - why would you want to?

Curious. I remember Paul McGowan discussing how Arnie Nudell was a big fan of servo and so was Paul. Until his engineer Chris B converted him. He says he now believes servos hold back a woofers dynamics and in general was convinced that servos hurt the sound. Now that is NOT what I say. I am just wondering.

jimbones

« Reply #4 on: 10 Sep 2021, 11:35 pm »
Without the servo, you loose all the control and immediacy of their response. They will likely just sound muddy and weak. it may over-drive them at higher volumes since there is no real means of knowing their position.

Makes sense (no pun intended lol)

subsonic1050

« Reply #5 on: 10 Sep 2021, 11:57 pm »
Curious. I remember Paul McGowan discussing how Arnie Nudell was a big fan of servo and so was Paul. Until his engineer Chris B converted him. He says he now believes servos hold back a woofers dynamics and in general was convinced that servos hurt the sound. Now that is NOT what I say. I am just wondering.

That may be - definitely not my experience, my triple servo subs far outperform the paradigm defiance x15's I had before. However, with enough money - maybe. Some people really swear by some of the REL offerings. Still, if that were the case, you'd want to go with a sub that was built and designed that way - not try to run the GR Research servo subs without servo control.

NoahH

« Reply #6 on: 11 Sep 2021, 12:00 am »
I have twin RELs and love them. But I will soon have some arrays of GR units and look forward to reporting on the comparison!

zenfishbike

« Reply #7 on: 11 Sep 2021, 03:57 am »
I have twin RELs and love them. But I will soon have some arrays of GR units and look forward to reporting on the comparison!

So do I and so will I