Internal wire upgrade

NoahH

Internal wire upgrade
« on: 27 Aug 2021, 01:41 pm »
I had a debate with a friend I wanted to move here, particularly in case Danny has an opinion.

Would speakers in general, but the GR kits in particular, benefit from using aftermarket speaker wire internally? I know Wilson uses Transparent internally.

Ex: should I buy some of Danny's braided cables and use those for all the non-trivial runs inside the NX-Tremes?

mkrawcz

Re: Internal wire upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2021, 02:05 pm »
I would say no way to the braided speaker wire as it's too bulky to wire as hook up wire. But you could try VH Audio V-Quad wire. It's designed for wiring speaker crossover mids/highs. I have not tried it yet, but I bet it will make a difference for those long runs up that speaker. I wouldn't bother using it for the bass drivers.

mkrawcz

« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2021, 02:14 pm »
I should also point out that the v-quad cable is $25/ft and that it's probably one of the few available options that will yield an improvement over Danny's hookup wire. All options will be expensive over Danny's wire which is already really good.

NoahH

« Reply #3 on: 29 Aug 2021, 03:48 pm »
Thanks for the v-quad referral. I will take a look!

Badd99

« Reply #4 on: 31 Aug 2021, 05:32 pm »
I plan to wire my mids and tweeter on my nx otica (I have everything but waiting on time) with kimber cable 8tc (basically same style as Danny's wire.)

I spoke to Danny about this he thought it would make some difference at the tweeter. I have enough to do the mids so I am. It's more work but you can solder it all. You strip all the ends pretty decent length. Make one main leg out of it all that will fit in the speaker terminal to be solder. Then you wrap the reamining stripped wires around that lead that's soldered to the termaninal and solder all of that together.

This cable sounds amazing. I can't see how it won't make a difference because I know how much my speaker cable made a difference. Why then hook up to inferior internal wire? Doesn't really make a whole lot of sense.

I am using Danny's wire on the woofers though, there it really isn't worth it.

Toecutter

« Reply #5 on: 31 Aug 2021, 05:48 pm »

g3rain1

« Reply #6 on: 1 Sep 2021, 02:08 am »
This cable sounds amazing. I can't see how it won't make a difference because I know how much my speaker cable made a difference. Why then hook up to inferior internal wire? Doesn't really make a whole lot of sense.

Because the runs are much shorter. Wire quality matters less the shorter the run. On tall speakers like the NX-Tremes where a driver may be pretty far from the crossover then I can see the point though. 

NoahH

« Reply #7 on: 1 Sep 2021, 04:06 am »
Hah! I just realized you are right - the distance between the farthest drivers is greater than my amp to speakers!

Badd99

« Reply #8 on: 1 Sep 2021, 11:42 pm »
Because the runs are much shorter. Wire quality matters less the shorter the run. On tall speakers like the NX-Tremes where a driver may be pretty far from the crossover then I can see the point though.

Everything matters when you spend this much. I used the 8tc on my crossover as well. It all matters. Why have 6ft premium speaker wire go to 4 ft of not as high quality internal wire? It all makes a difference and I wasn't cutting corners.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #9 on: 2 Sep 2021, 12:27 am »
I’m in the process of re-wiring my Super 7’s using the Nimak silver wire - trust me, it all matters.

mkrawcz

« Reply #10 on: 2 Sep 2021, 12:46 am »
Just got some of the V-Quad cable in today that I mentioned above to use as the internal input wire of my Folsom amp. I am still trying to pick my jaw up off the floor. I went from the Kimber twisted wire to this and the improvement was immediate. I am really tempted to pony up for the thicker gauge one and use it on the tweeter of my NX-Oticas.

Jaytor

« Reply #11 on: 2 Sep 2021, 03:23 am »
I’m in the process of re-wiring my Super 7’s using the Nimak silver wire - trust me, it all matters.

Can you post a link to the wire you are using?

Tyson

« Reply #12 on: 2 Sep 2021, 04:15 am »
Can you post a link to the wire you are using?

Sure thing.  I bought these as just regular speaker wires from my amps to my speakers, oh I guess it was about a year ago:

Nimak Silver Speaker Cables

I've been so happy with it I've contacted the seller and had another pair made for me, but this time without the connectors or the black nylon covering, so I can use it to re-wire the inside of the Super 7's.

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 2 Sep 2021, 02:19 pm »
The wire we supply is pretty high quality, but if you want to source some OCC wire of some kind then go for it.

JakeJ

« Reply #14 on: 2 Sep 2021, 10:31 pm »
Hey Tyson,

Are you buying finished speaker wires or are you getting the raw product they make their cables from?

Jake

Tyson

« Reply #15 on: 2 Sep 2021, 10:34 pm »
Hey Tyson,

Are you buying finished speaker wires or are you getting the raw product they make their cables from?

Jake

Both.  They also sell the wire raw, I used that to wire from my crossover to the drivers about 6 months ago.  Now I'm going to use the Nova speaker wire to re-wire from the binding posts to the crossover.  After that, my speakers will be fully wired with the Nimak silver wire.

NoahH

« Reply #16 on: 3 Sep 2021, 01:16 am »
This reminds me of another weird thought: has anyone bypassed the binding posts? I was thinking I might wire up some of Danny's cables straight into the crossover and out to spades for the amp. The biggest issue I see is that if you were to give that cable a tank, Bad Things would happen. Do folks see issues beyond that? Anyone done it?

mkrawcz

« Reply #17 on: 3 Sep 2021, 01:13 pm »
This reminds me of another weird thought: has anyone bypassed the binding posts? I was thinking I might wire up some of Danny's cables straight into the crossover and out to spades for the amp. The biggest issue I see is that if you were to give that cable a tank, Bad Things would happen. Do folks see issues beyond that? Anyone done it?
I guess it can be done, but its pretty impractical. The inclusion of tube connectors will have minimal impact on the sound so I am not sure its worth it to just hard wire speaker cable to the crossover.

JakeJ

« Reply #18 on: 4 Sep 2021, 01:40 am »
Tyson,

Just a couple more questions, please.

1. This rewire is on the Super Sevens?
2. Where or how did you get introduced to Nimak silver wire?
3. Are you using the Nimak between amp and speakers?

Tyson

« Reply #19 on: 4 Sep 2021, 02:30 am »
Tyson,

Just a couple more questions, please.

1. This rewire is on the Super Sevens?
2. Where or how did you get introduced to Nimak silver wire?
3. Are you using the Nimak between amp and speakers?

1. Yes, rewiring the Super 7's
2. Stumbled across them on eBay about a year ago & decided take a chance
3. Yes, I'm also using the Nimak Nova wire between my tube amps and the top part of my Super 7's.  That's been in place for about 6 months & I've been really happy with it. 

I should note that in parallel there have been 2 major changes to my system downstairs that made the switch to silver so a lot smoother.  First, I built and installed a lot of room treatments.  Second, I switched over to Hapa Audio digital cables and analog cables.  Between these changes, a LOT of glare and hash was removed from the sound of my setup.  So much so, that I can now start to voice the Super 7's for speed and resolution and not quite as much on a warm tone and beauty. 

Not that the Nimak wire is bright.  In fact just the opposite - I've been shocked at just how mellow it is, tonally speaking.  But where it really shines is resolution.  Man, you hear EVERYTHING with this wire.  Love it.