any power strip with a switch that would be OK? (using IDA-8)

a2o

Hi!,

Is there any external power switch, integrated or not in a power strip, that would be OK to use with the IDA-8 (while leaving the power switch at the back of the IDA-8 always 'on', of course.)?
(Also not the kind that would cost met 1/2 the price of the IDA-8 itself ;) )

I'm only discovering HIFI bit by bit, enjoying my first steps into it, upgrading from a Marantz M-CR611 to a Nuprime IDA-8, with new speakers (Elipson Facet 8b).  :D It might sound silly, but the fact of the IDA-8 having its power-switch at the back makes the placement and use a little unhandy in our specific home set-up. (While its compact size is an advantage in our set-up.) I realize that most dedicated HIFI amps are like that, but we liked the convenience of only having to switch on/off at the front. I also know that the IDA-8 can be put in stand-by, but we have the habit of putting all our gear on power-strips or at least a surge-protected switch (integrated or separate) to be able to fully switch them off: both to avoid idle power use and also for surge protection, in case of thunder etc. I have also read that basic power strips with switches are a 'no-go' in high-end HIFI. I didn't notice a sound quality difference with or without a power strip (there is little connected to it though), but we did have a sudden, (very low volume) 'pop' in the speakers when we once inadvertently switched of the power socket before having turned off the (idle) IDA-8 at the back.  :roll:  I don't think this would have had any impact on the gear, just having happened only once, but I would rather avoid that in the future without spending a huge amount of money on some very high-end solution.

rustydoglim

Tripp Lite Isobar power strip is cheap and good.  Sure you can leave the IDA-8 on and use the power strip as the switch.

a2o

Tripp Lite Isobar power strip is cheap and good.  Sure you can leave the IDA-8 on and use the power strip as the switch.

Thank you!
Apparently, this is mainly sold in the UK with UK sockets.
Is there something specific to consider when selecting an external power strip as a switch for these amps?
(My current power strip is just a standard one, and did that 'pop' sound in the speaker when using that switch while the amp was idle (switched off using the remote, but not using the switch at the back). I guess the power strip you recommended would not generate that 'pop'?  For me, an ON/OFF switch is just an ON/OFF switch, but I guess there must be some differences  :D)

Phil A

Thank you!
Apparently, this is mainly sold in the UK with UK sockets.
Is there something specific to consider when selecting an external power strip as a switch for these amps?
(My current power strip is just a standard one, and did that 'pop' sound in the speaker when using that switch while the amp was idle (switched off using the remote, but not using the switch at the back). I guess the power strip you recommended would not generate that 'pop'?  For me, an ON/OFF switch is just an ON/OFF switch, but I guess there must be some differences  :D)

????  https://www.amazon.com/IBAR4-6D-Isobar-Spaced-Protector-INSURANCE/dp/B00005119M/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1CT8WHP8VQSK&dchild=1&keywords=tripp+lite+isobar&qid=1631015591&sprefix=tripp+lite+iso%2Caps%2C188&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Protector-Right-Angle-ISOBAR6ULTRA/dp/B0000513US/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1CT8WHP8VQSK&dchild=1&keywords=tripp+lite+isobar&qid=1631015630&sprefix=tripp+lite+iso%2Caps%2C188&sr=8-3