Wait Times

JCarney

Wait Times
« on: 18 Aug 2021, 04:11 pm »
Just purchased the desktop mini for my Granddaughter and I to build her first set of speakers and I was curious as to the expected wait time for shipping. While I've got you here, anyone that can recommend a decent little inexpensive amp that would be very helpful. I really don't care if it is a chip amp, tubed, digital, class ab, integrated....whatever. I am open to all suggestions. Let's say no more than $150 for any amp recommendations. I think I have everything else she might need.

Thanks everyone,
JCarney

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
Re: Wait Times
« Reply #1 on: 18 Aug 2021, 05:16 pm »
@JCarney, Hi, I by no means am a expert. But I have been using the Aiyima 07 amp with my Mini's. I think this amp sounds very good, neutral and full. You can see a pic in my waynes mini evolution thread. It was $75 shipped, has a volume control.

AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 Power Amplifier 300Wx2 HiFi Class D Stereo Digital Audio Amp 2.0 Channel Amplifier for Passive Speaker Home Audio (A07+DC 32V Power Adapter) $79.99 amazon.

With the 32v power supply in 8ohm is about 35 watts a channel. That is what I am using and it sounds good and still goes loud enough. You can upgrade to a 48v power supply for the full power, about 75 watts 8 ohm.

You can see a review at cheapauidoman youtube.

zenfishbike

« Reply #2 on: 18 Aug 2021, 06:33 pm »
Smiling upon hearing about this build you and your granddaughter will share together. What a wonderful experience for the both of you. Thanks for sharing it with us!  :D

JCarney

« Reply #3 on: 18 Aug 2021, 07:24 pm »
wgraft5:
Thanks, I will look at it. I like the idea of volume control built in, and the price is right.

zenfishbike:
When everything arrives and is accounted for, I will start a new thread here in the GR circle for it. And I know, pics or it didn't happen.  :lol:

JCarney

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 19 Aug 2021, 12:27 am »
I believe we just got in the last of the parts we needed for the Desktop Minis, today and we were able to get most of our backlog out the door this afternoon, tho some that will have to wait til tomorrow for UPS pickup.

So your order should be going out the door tomorrow.
The flatpack should be shipping within the next day or two as well.

So I would suspect everything should arrive by Monday. :thumb:

As for cheap amp. Dayton has a really nice Class T chip amp for $40 called the Dayton Audio DTA-1. We've been using that in house for quite some time now and it sounds great for the money. And we've also been using a Schiit "Fulla" as the DAC & Preamp, plus it also includes volume control as well.

JCarney

« Reply #5 on: 19 Aug 2021, 01:09 am »
Thanks Hobbs. I just placed the order today so you have given me good news. I was expecting a couple of weeks with some parts being scarce. I will look at that little Dayton.

JCarney

jimmys91

« Reply #6 on: 19 Aug 2021, 01:14 am »
That is awesome, I just join here looking for ideas to build a set of speakers for my son for Christmas, starting early as I tend to work slow lol.

Jimmy

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 19 Aug 2021, 02:34 am »
Thanks Hobbs. I just placed the order today so you have given me good news. I was expecting a couple of weeks with some parts being scarce. I will look at that little Dayton.

JCarney

Its definitely been in waves, well get one held up batch out the door, just in time for another part to run out and start another batch of parts but we're good as far as minis go.

Current holdups rn are the woofers for the NX series, and the M165-16Ohm woofers but those are on the water, and should be here by the middle of September, barring any delay getting off the ship or they customs.

JCarney

« Reply #8 on: 19 Aug 2021, 03:14 am »
Hobbs:
Cool. Glad I tracked down a couple of necessary tools for the job already.  8)

Welcome jimmys91, the mini may just be the kit for you and your son. Good Luck!

JCarney

JCarney

« Reply #9 on: 19 Aug 2021, 09:15 pm »
I just got a ups notification that a package from GR is in the system and has a tracking number. Estimated to arrive Sat. The pressure is on now.  :o

JCarney

JCarney

« Reply #10 on: 21 Aug 2021, 11:47 pm »
If memory serves, Mr Lundy does the flat packs for GR. I received the drivers, x-over parts and so on today :D and in reading different threads Mr Lundy ships the flat packs from his location. Am I correct?

Thanks,
JCarney

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 22 Aug 2021, 12:22 am »
Killian does the flatpacks and ships from Denton TX.
Mike does fully completed builds.

JCarney

« Reply #12 on: 22 Aug 2021, 12:34 am »
Ok, cool, Thanks again Hobbs.

JCarney

JCarney

« Reply #13 on: 24 Aug 2021, 11:49 pm »
Just received an email that the flat pack is on its way.  :thumb: Says Thurs for delivery which is perfect because then I can show her the whole thing and let her in on the surprise after I pick her up from piano lessons.

JCarney

JCarney

« Reply #14 on: 26 Aug 2021, 03:31 pm »
Hey wgraft5, Thanks for the Aiyima 07 recommendation. I ordered it and it sat for a few days while the mini parts came in. I hooked it up to some Kef Q350's today, and it sounds pretty good. Very pleasantly surprised.

JCarney

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #15 on: 26 Aug 2021, 09:48 pm »
Hey wgraft5, Thanks for the Aiyima 07 recommendation. I ordered it and it sat for a few days while the mini parts came in. I hooked it up to some Kef Q350's today, and it sounds pretty good. Very pleasantly surprised.

JCarney
Cool man, I love mine.

Mine has been playing for over a month now and is now paired with FX Audio D01 dac and it sounds very good. It does get luke warm but not hot or even really warm. The upgrade diy bug is strong now and so I am going to get the 48 volt 10 amp 480 watt Meanwell power supply. Or maybe a battery powered power supply that I know nothing about, lol.

Any way have fun with your build.

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #16 on: 27 Aug 2021, 12:19 am »

JCarney

Once you have built your minis give us a comparison to the more expensive Kef Q350. Danny's design should easily compete with them more so the XLS encores but it would be great to hear what you think.

Great build with your Grand daughter. Awesome work.

SC

JCarney

« Reply #17 on: 27 Aug 2021, 02:40 am »
wgraft5:
Go for the unknown!  :lol:

SC:
Thanks. Being 7, her favorite part is going to be decorating the boxes. I'm going to let her go wild, do whatever she wants. I expect glitter, acrylic paints, stickers, beads, possibly feathers... :o I will do a comparison and post my take. I'm "documenting" the build in another thread in the GR circle if you care to follow it.

JCarney