I Finally Clicked!-The Meaning and Importance of a Beginner Audiophile System

joffieb

HI All,

Hope I am not stating the obvious.

Whilst ruminating on the hypothetical instance of recommending a "final" or "decent" or "non-fatiguing" system for a friend, it dawned on me that I don't think it is possible to make such a recommendation. So in fact instead of getting upset with reviewers and bloggers who speak about basic systems , in fact anyone getting into audio must begin with a "beginner system" and work themselves up. This conclusion stems from what I have come to learn:- that anyone's system that they enjoy in their specific listening environment is the result of tweaking over time, with swapping of components, the cables and set-up in the room until you arrive at a sound that mesmerizes you and you realise that you've hit a sweet spot. In fact the same system in another room may sound awful, even or especially if it had better/different cables or even power cable. Your specific "weak link" may in fact be what is smoothing things out.

Hence the need for a beginner system. Components that are just decent enough to start things off and then begins the fun (it is a hobby after all), of polishing until that night when you play a track that gives you goose bumps and you turn to your spouse and remark how the counter-intuitive step of buying a 20 year old amp  to replace your modern one has made the difference.

Maybe the pundits should explain why the term "beginner" is a time reference as opposed to a skills one and the importance of the beginner system and not that it's for cheapies.

Whilst it may be smaller in stature to your final system, it is in fact figuratively the huge marble block that the final sculpture will emerge from.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
And you have the other side of it, as you age into the latter period of your hobby you downsize.

Early B.

A "beginner" system is based primarily on your budget, and then on your experience. For instance, a budding audiophile probably won't understand why someone would be foolish enough to pay $1,000 for a used power cord, but through time and experience, you will inch up to more and more expensive gear because the good stuff costs more money, regardless of the hobby.

DaveBC

Re:
"Hope I am not stating the obvious.

Whilst ruminating on the hypothetical instance of recommending a "final" or "decent" or "non-fatiguing" system for a friend, it dawned on me that I don't think it is possible to make such a recommendation. So in fact instead of getting upset with reviewers and bloggers who speak about basic systems , in fact anyone getting into audio must begin with a "beginner system" and work themselves up. This conclusion stems from what I have come to learn:- that anyone's system that they enjoy in their specific listening environment is the result of tweaking over time, with swapping of components, the cables and set-up in the room until you arrive at a sound that mesmerizes you and you realise that you've hit a sweet spot. In fact the same system in another room may sound awful, even or especially if it had better/different cables or even power cable. Your specific "weak link" may in fact be what is smoothing things out.

Hence the need for a beginner system."

----------------------------------------------

First post so hope I am doing this right ....

Yah Thanks, in a similar situation and this clarifies how to proceed and how to better frame it all.

In my case I am putting together a "loaner system" for a friend who needs something pretty solid,
to judge what to buy. (They are more serious than I re music, me being more of a techie)

Clarifying Non-fatiguing but not necessary final (in this case via an loaner system) helps me with the
decision the lead to me signing up for this site.

Marketing techniques and which brands are serious has changed a lot since I last put together a
serious system.

Needing to revise my approach a bit now that I have figure that out.

Leaning towards an upgrade to the loaner system, but need to mull it over a bit more.

Dave

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Welcome to AC Dave!  My thought at the beginning of your post was that a loaner system would be made up from components in the back of the closet.  Later in your post you mentioned new developments and trends, which indicates purchasing something(?) I can realize it's a dual goal, get the person something to use now, leading to a future purchase, is that what you're getting at?  I did a hybrid with my son, gifting him some speakers, rehabbing a turntable he found, and guiding him on amp and preamp purchases.  Perhaps you'll end up with something like that.