X MTM Encore build

Zarkoff500

• All just an interpretation by your brain
Re: X MTM Encore build
« Reply #20 on: 24 Aug 2021, 08:53 pm »
I have the sides and tops and bottoms glued on now, here they are standing next to one of my TriTrix speakers.

I have the XLS's with upgrades and the TL Tri-Trix speakers as well. I like them both amd think you'll probably like the X MTM's :)

jkaldor

• Life is good!
« Reply #21 on: 25 Aug 2021, 08:00 pm »
Nicely done, I was surprised at how big the boxes were once assembled.   Do you have some final images?

Coreyportelli

« Reply #22 on: 27 Aug 2021, 03:14 am »
This is the stage there at now, I’m posting my progress as I go.

Coreyportelli

« Reply #23 on: 27 Aug 2021, 09:00 am »
Here’s a photo showing the outer edges being flush cut with the router, it makes things easier if you leave your edges slightly proud and then trim and sand them later.

Coreyportelli

« Reply #24 on: 2 Sep 2021, 10:55 am »
I’ve progressed a little more this week, this isn’t necessary but I like to give the inside of the cabinets a coat of varnish to seal the MDF.
And I’ve started joining up Oak veneer to cover the top, sides and the back, I’m going the paint the front baffle with a 2 pack black paint.

Coreyportelli

« Reply #25 on: 4 Sep 2021, 06:39 am »
Cutting the woofer holes now at 5.75” diameter with my home made hole cutting jig, and then cutting a 1/2 radius on the back of the woofer holes.
I ordered the kit from GR research the other day so when the kit arrives I will do some test cuts for the tweeter before I cut the tweeter holes in the front baffle.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #26 on: 5 Sep 2021, 01:54 am »
Coming along nicely! :thumb:

Coreyportelli

« Reply #27 on: 5 Sep 2021, 04:15 am »
Thanks 👍

Coreyportelli

« Reply #28 on: 5 Sep 2021, 10:19 am »
I’m a bit in two minds at the moment, I’m going to veneer the boxes with Oak veneer and was planning to use MDF for the front baffles and paint them black.
But now I’m thinking of using solid Oak for the front baffles to keep the timber grain look consistent on the speakers, but I don’t want to take away any sound quality away from the speakers.
Dose anyone know if there would be any noticeable difference in sound between MDF or solid wood.

JWCoffman

« Reply #29 on: 8 Sep 2021, 02:18 am »
If you don't mind me asking, why not veneer the front baffle as well?  Sonically, solid Oak may be fine considering how well braced those cabinets are, but I might be concerned about movement over time due to temp or humidity.

Coreyportelli

« Reply #30 on: 9 Sep 2021, 07:44 am »
If you don't mind me asking, why not veneer the front baffle as well?  Sonically, solid Oak may be fine considering how well braced those cabinets are, but I might be concerned about movement over time due to temp or humidity.
The reason why I don’t want to veneer the front is I want to have a 1/2 radius on the sides of the front baffles, it’s easier to have a 3/4 solid piece of wood there and router the sides.
But I just saw the NX-Otica on The new record day channel and they inspired me to go with the Oak veneer box and white front baffles, so I might keep the MDF front baffles after all.

JWCoffman

« Reply #31 on: 9 Sep 2021, 02:27 pm »
The reason why I don’t want to veneer the front is I want to have a 1/2 radius on the sides of the front baffles, it’s easier to have a 3/4 solid piece of wood there and router the sides.
But I just saw the NX-Otica on The new record day channel and they inspired me to go with the Oak veneer box and white front baffles, so I might keep the MDF front baffles after all.

I get it.  When I built my MTM's I used one solid piece of veneer to cover the sides and front, but that requires one solid 4'x4' sheet to accomplish.  Sounds like you have a solid plan.

Coreyportelli

« Reply #32 on: 11 Sep 2021, 10:20 am »
I pressed the first piece of veneer on one of the backs today, I’m using Oak veneer glued with polyurethane glue and pressed down with boards and clamps.
I get a little glue bleed through the veneer but the polyurethane sands quite well.

Coreyportelli

« Reply #33 on: 22 Sep 2021, 10:48 am »
Hi guys I’m currently waiting on parts and materials to progress with my build.
Im waiting for the kit from GR research, I’m also waiting for the veneer to cover the cabinets, so I’ve come to a bit of a stop at the moment.
I will continue as soon as I get my hands on the veneer.
I have decided to veneer the front baffle like the rest of the cabinets, I have a idea that will allow me to cut a 1/2” radius on each side of the front baffle.

kickngas

« Reply #34 on: 22 Sep 2021, 10:02 pm »
I like your progress thus far. I am trying to decide between the X-MTM Encore or NX Otica or Otica MTM. Decisions, decisions....either way I will go with dual OB subs. Why is this so hard!!?? I would love to opportunity to audition these options prior to purchasing. Anyone in NC have any of these speakers available for audition?

Coreyportelli

« Reply #35 on: 28 Sep 2021, 08:49 am »
In the past I’ve applied veneer with contact adhesive to see after a year or so it starts to crack and lift.
This method using polyurethane glue is a very good way of applying veneer because the polyurethane sets hard bonding the veneer to
The MDF for good.
After I spread the glue I apply the veneer, I then put wax paper over it to prevent any sticking to the press boards, then I clamp it up.

Coreyportelli

« Reply #36 on: 12 Oct 2021, 10:13 am »
I bought a box of vinyl tile to dampen the side walls of the cabinets
I’ve started cutting them and glueing them in with contact adhesive.

RonP

« Reply #37 on: 12 Oct 2021, 01:08 pm »
I bought a box of vinyl tile to dampen the side walls of the cabinets

< Insert record joke here >

such a great thread! I wish I had the skills and the patience to pull off a build. these look fantastic so far. and with CLEAR pictures too!

Coreyportelli

« Reply #38 on: 13 Oct 2021, 06:36 am »
< Insert record joke here >

such a great thread! I wish I had the skills and the patience to pull off a build. these look fantastic so far. and with CLEAR pictures too!
You should buy your self a small kit like a C note or a X Bravo one of them would be a good first build 

Coreyportelli

« Reply #39 on: 8 Nov 2021, 09:22 am »
Cutting and gluing in the vinyl tiles was a lot more work than I was expecting, I’m now almost done with this.
Im also currently waiting for the kit from GR Research, I need the port tubes so I can cut the holes in the backs before I fit the front baffles, I also need the tweeter’s so I can cut the recess for the tweeters.
All I can do now is put in the poly fill.