X MTM Encore build

Coreyportelli

X MTM Encore build
« on: 9 Aug 2021, 09:17 am »
Hi all, I’m pretty new to speaker building but am a woodworker so not new to woodwork.
My first and second speakers projects were TriTrix MTM’s.
I’ve since discovered the GR research videos on YouTube and have wanted to do a X series build.
I was debating for a while whether to build a X LS encore, or a X SLS encore, or a X MTM encore, I have since decided on the X MTM encore because I will be using these speakers in a large room for playing music without a subwoofer, so the larger two woofer speaker was selected.
I have started with the braces, I cut them on the saw at work marked out the hole centres and cut the holes out.

these are one’s l have ready so far.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: X MTM Encore build
« Reply #1 on: 9 Aug 2021, 05:25 pm »
Looks like you're off to a great start!

Looking forward to the rest of your build! :thumb:

kickngas

« Reply #2 on: 9 Aug 2021, 10:11 pm »
Looking good thus far!
I am curious if, prior to deciding on the X-MTM, you had the chance to listen to either of the three choices, or get any opinions from anyone who had direct experience with them?
I am in the same boat as you...

MJWilson_61

« Reply #3 on: 9 Aug 2021, 10:35 pm »
I'm in the same dilemma as 'kickngas'; going to do a build soon.  Want to upgrade my mains but not sure whether to go with X-MTM's or the X-SLS Encore.  I have a subwoofer (Paradigm Defiance V10) and i must admit i do love bass but don't want to be overwhelmed by it.  Concerned that the X-MTM may give me too much bass.  My listening room is 14' wide by 22' long and the system is at a 45 degree angle in one corner (no options to move as per wife...LOL) and thus the mains are barely a foot away from angled wall.  I generally sit about 10' away from system.  Suggestions?

Coreyportelli

« Reply #4 on: 9 Aug 2021, 11:11 pm »
Replying to Kickngas
No I haven’t listened to any of them, but the specs on the GR Research website shows the X MTM down point at -3db of 40Hz, and the X LS at -3db down point at 55Hz.
So the X MTM being a floor standing MTM design was the choice I went with.
« Last Edit: 9 Feb 2022, 11:21 pm by Coreyportelli »

Coreyportelli

« Reply #5 on: 10 Aug 2021, 12:18 am »
Replying to MJWilson_61
Depends on what you want the low end to sound like, I to have a Paradigm sub but I don’t like using it when I’m playing music.
« Last Edit: 10 Aug 2021, 07:52 am by Coreyportelli »

Coreyportelli

« Reply #6 on: 10 Aug 2021, 09:28 am »
The braces are all made now

EdwardT

« Reply #7 on: 10 Aug 2021, 02:01 pm »
I'm in the same dilemma as 'kickngas'; going to do a build soon.  Want to upgrade my mains but not sure whether to go with X-MTM's or the X-SLS Encore.  I have a subwoofer (Paradigm Defiance V10) and i must admit i do love bass but don't want to be overwhelmed by it.  Concerned that the X-MTM may give me too much bass.  My listening room is 14' wide by 22' long and the system is at a 45 degree angle in one corner (no options to move as per wife...LOL) and thus the mains are barely a foot away from angled wall.  I generally sit about 10' away from system.  Suggestions?
I’m building the X-SLS now to accommodate my listening situation that closely mirrors yours, plus you have the bonus option of forward firing port close to that wall. The SLS is really close to the MTM, -3dB@45Hz which should mean (I think) only a tiny bit of sub will be needed to get the bass I want.

Coreyportelli

« Reply #8 on: 12 Aug 2021, 12:19 am »
I started glueing the braces to the rear baffle last night, I’ve decided to start this way because this method makes the most sense to me.
Than I can square up the braces and glue in the sides later.
I’m using two strips of MDF to centre the braces on the baffle, so I know the sides will fit correctly.

« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2021, 03:17 am by Coreyportelli »

kickngas

« Reply #9 on: 12 Aug 2021, 01:11 am »
I certainly am hoping you keep posting this step by step guide of your build! Most likely my next build as well.

Coreyportelli

« Reply #10 on: 12 Aug 2021, 02:44 am »
I definitely will 👍

JWCoffman

« Reply #11 on: 12 Aug 2021, 05:24 am »
I don't have direct experience with the SLS, but my experience with the MTM's in my room (17x27) is a measured in-room response below 30hz, and others have seen that as well.  It is certainly not overwhelming, though.  They dig deep, but the response is still fairly flat.  You are far more likely to have issues with the room rather than the speaker when it comes to boominess.  For example, I have very noticeable in-room peaks at 44hz & 134hz which are entirely room related.
Overall, I am very pleased with them and glad I chose them over the SLS.
OTOH, the MTMs are pretty darn big and require a fair amount of real estate, so the SLS may be a more livable option for everyone.
You probably can't go wrong with either choice.

Coreyportelli

« Reply #12 on: 12 Aug 2021, 10:00 pm »
All the braces glued to the rear baffle now

MJWilson_61

« Reply #13 on: 13 Aug 2021, 02:05 am »
I don't have direct experience with the SLS, but my experience with the MTM's in my room (17x27) is a measured in-room response below 30hz, and others have seen that as well.  It is certainly not overwhelming, though.  They dig deep, but the response is still fairly flat.  You are far more likely to have issues with the room rather than the speaker when it comes to boominess.  For example, I have very noticeable in-room peaks at 44hz & 134hz which are entirely room related.
Overall, I am very pleased with them and glad I chose them over the SLS.
OTOH, the MTMs are pretty darn big and require a fair amount of real estate, so the SLS may be a more livable option for everyone.
You probably can't go wrong with either choice.

I agree that the sheer size of the MTM's at 46 x 16.5 x 8.5 may be overbearing for an angled setup - the SLS at 37 x 12 x 8.5 might be more palletable.  It could be a nice hybrid if one could build an MTM style at the SLS dimensions.  The CF of the enclosure would drop from 2.70 to 1.80 which i would suspect is significant in regard to min driver CF, port tube as well as possible effects of crossover network.  It essentially would be like removing one section from internal brace to bottom.   Bad idea?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 13 Aug 2021, 05:28 am »
Would likely need to become a sealed cabinet for that ti work

Tho there will be a smaller transmission line version coming using the smaller M130 woofers that will replace the oler A/V-3 speakers.
And like the upcoming X-Bravo will use the same tweeter as the rest of the X lineup.

Coreyportelli

« Reply #15 on: 19 Aug 2021, 03:29 am »
Doing some more cutting today, this is the saw we have at work.

Coreyportelli

« Reply #16 on: 19 Aug 2021, 12:55 pm »
glueing and clamping the side on

hawkeyejw

« Reply #17 on: 19 Aug 2021, 01:19 pm »
Nice equipment and space to have access to! Looking good.

Coreyportelli

« Reply #18 on: 24 Aug 2021, 09:28 am »
I have the sides and tops and bottoms glued on now, here they are standing next to one of my TriTrix speakers.

kickngas

« Reply #19 on: 24 Aug 2021, 05:10 pm »
 :o Beastly!