Amateur Servo Sub 4 Build

Vince in TX

Re: Amateur Servo Sub 4 Build
« Reply #20 on: 9 Aug 2021, 01:06 pm »
They can be set up either way - either all facing forward or alternating. Cabinets are slightly different depending on which option you choose.

Great job vince!

Thanks!   Yes, I talked to Danny, and he said there wasn't really any difference with the sound between front/rear and front/front facing.   And I was glad because I wanted to leave them open so you could see the drivers just like with my X-Static and X-Voce.

Amp boxes in da house!    :icon_lol:   That varnish makes a huge difference in the color of the wood.

Vince in TX

« Reply #21 on: 9 Aug 2021, 03:56 pm »
I had to expand the production line a bit.   Wife won't be pleased.   Fortunately she doesn't spend much time up in this room.

Vince in TX

« Reply #22 on: 9 Aug 2021, 04:12 pm »

Vince in TX

« Reply #23 on: 13 Aug 2021, 06:33 pm »
Final phase - Adding No-res and possibly a front cover (debating).   Other than that, done!    :thumb:

Vince in TX

« Reply #24 on: 14 Aug 2021, 04:40 pm »
A personal note about no-res, this stuff is a lot harder to cut than I thought.   Make sure you have plenty of sharp blades.   You can tell when they're getting dull because they won't cut all the way through (hence some of the rough edges on the back of the cabinet).

Two sheets of no-res per cabinet confirmed.   For each cabinet, I made four 5" strips out of each sheet, one of which I cut along the long edge and the other on the short edge.   Worked perfectly with enough scrap to use towards the A/V-1RS speakers even though I have another sheet for those.  I used the outer finished edges for the front and the inner strips for the back.

MEASURE TWICE, CUT ONCE!   There isn't much room for mistakes.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #25 on: 14 Aug 2021, 06:13 pm »
Looking sharp!

subsonic1050

« Reply #26 on: 14 Aug 2021, 09:14 pm »
Really nice Vince - it won't be long now until you hear them!

RonP

« Reply #27 on: 14 Aug 2021, 10:32 pm »
Looking sharp!

I see what you did there! :D

Toddo

« Reply #28 on: 14 Aug 2021, 10:37 pm »
Oh, side note, in case anyone is curious, this is the veneer I used:  https://www.homedepot.com/p/PureEdge-48-in-x-96-in-Walnut-Real-Wood-Veneer-with-10-mil-Paperback-903728/312591181

Veneer you applied looks great.  Out of curiosity how many sheets did you order to cover the cabinets and amp boxes?

Barryg443

« Reply #29 on: 15 Aug 2021, 01:36 am »
Looking real good Vince!

Vince in TX

« Reply #30 on: 16 Aug 2021, 07:42 pm »
Thanks for the compliments, everyone.   It was a long, arduous journey (mainly from materials delays and extreme heat), but they're confirmed operational after debugging one of the amps (turned out I had reversed the grounds on one of the connectors).   Of course, now I'm dealing with the dreaded hum, which I'll talk about in a separate thread.   I've isolated that problem to having the subs and the A/V equipment on different electrical circuits (ground loop issues).

Veneer you applied looks great.  Out of curiosity how many sheets did you order to cover the cabinets and amp boxes?

It only took one 48"x96" sheet plus the edge veneer.   I wish I can say I applied it personally.   I had a professional cabinet guy do it for me, and it was well worth it.    :thumb:

Nick B

« Reply #31 on: 16 Aug 2021, 07:52 pm »
What a nice project …. and good thinking about when to hire an expert  :thumb: It’s a beautiful result

dryan01uk

« Reply #32 on: 19 Aug 2021, 03:24 am »
Beautiful work, Vince.  Inspirational for all of us.  I love how you have finished the subs.   :thumb:

Vince in TX

« Reply #33 on: 19 Aug 2021, 02:18 pm »
What a nice project …. and good thinking about when to hire an expert  :thumb: It’s a beautiful result
Beautiful work, Vince.  Inspirational for all of us.  I love how you have finished the subs.   :thumb:

Thank you!    :thumb:

Danny Richie

« Reply #34 on: 23 Aug 2021, 01:53 pm »
Man, those look really good.

Vince in TX

« Reply #35 on: 23 Aug 2021, 11:49 pm »
Man, those look really good.

Thanks!   They sound really good, too!   😊

VinceT

« Reply #36 on: 24 Aug 2021, 12:53 am »
Nothing amateur about this build, looks great Vince!

Vince in TX

« Reply #37 on: 24 Aug 2021, 02:33 pm »
Nothing amateur about this build, looks great Vince!

Thanks, Vince!   And that's spooky because I'm also "Vince T.".   It's like I'm talking to myself.    :lol:

mscetal

« Reply #38 on: 25 Sep 2021, 09:00 pm »
Vince, your build turned out great!  The combination of black and walnut veneer really looks fantastic!

Vince in TX

« Reply #39 on: 27 Sep 2021, 12:44 pm »
Vince, your build turned out great!  The combination of black and walnut veneer really looks fantastic!

Thanks!    It was a lot of work (and time consuming), but well worth it.    :thumb:

And I just realized I never posted the picture of them in their final resting place: