Any ideas for DIY plans for tube traps

RRW

• Music On
Any ideas for DIY plans for tube traps
« on: 26 Dec 2020, 10:49 pm »
Hi guy, I’m new here.
Who has plans on DIY acoustic tube traps using round rigid fiberglass pipe covering (13”-16” diameter)or round cardboard tubes for concrete foundations?

ric

Re: Any ideas for DIY plans for tube traps
« Reply #1 on: 27 Dec 2020, 02:23 pm »
I can't really answer your question, but you may or may not be interested in this web page:
http://arqen.com/bass-traps-101/placement-guide/

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 27 Dec 2020, 03:20 pm »
The cardboard concrete forms were originally used for diffusion.  You cut them into half rounds placed on the front wall.  Finishing was at your pleasure.  Phil A has posted some links on how to repurpose them as bass traps as well as some alternatives.

BobM

« Reply #4 on: 27 Dec 2020, 06:46 pm »
If you are going to use round fiberglass pipe covering you may get some help, but stuff them with fiberglass in that hollow middle as well. Also, turn the plastic covering outward to it will also diffuse a bit of any high frequencies back there. Though they really won't do much for bass boom in corners.

RRW

• Music On
« Reply #5 on: 28 Dec 2020, 02:16 am »
Thanks everybody. I will put some together this week and let you guys know how they behave..

RRW

• Music On
« Reply #6 on: 6 Jan 2021, 01:32 am »
Hi
My diy tube traps worked much better than they look. Will add pix. They really deepened the soundstage and made quite an improvement in overall listening pleasure.

Rob Babcock

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 8 Jan 2021, 07:07 am »
I look forward to pics! :popcorn:

Mike B.

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jan 2021, 04:01 pm »
The original tube traps were two plywood circles with fencing wire separating them by several feet. The interior was stuffed with dampening material. Then the exterior was covered with grill cloth. 

richidoo

« Reply #9 on: 8 Jan 2021, 04:18 pm »
I think the solid tube on the inside will reduce efficiency compared to the whole inner filled with absorption material.
LF absorption efficiency is proportional to the depth. I think the commercial products use wood frame and chicken wire to position the inner layers of absorption materials as needed. You could buy one of these and dissect it to learn the recipe for DIY.

RRW

• Music On
« Reply #10 on: 10 Jan 2021, 11:31 pm »
Here are my diy corner tube traps.
They have opened up my soundstage with depth as well.
One half is absorbative while the other sides are reflective.

stoneblue

« Reply #11 on: 14 Jul 2021, 02:44 pm »
Wanted to share photos of my own tube trap design. I used round concrete forms from the local hardware store. I drilled 3-1/2 inch holes around the form, covered it with black speaker fabric, stuffed it with sound absorption material and then finished it with wood end caps. These provide both diffusion and absorption. So far I am pleased with the results.

Sorry for the sideways images. I could not figure out how to rotate the images.

Rob Babcock

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 15 Jul 2021, 02:49 am »
The look great!  How's the performance sonically?

Jack the cat

• At the gates of delirium
« Reply #13 on: 15 Jul 2021, 04:10 am »
Grabbed these from a site a long time ago - sorry no text and wish I could credit the poster

picture quality is lacking as they d/l smaller and I made them a little larger for posting here. They are made of pipe insulation of which the distributor had when I made my OC 705 absorbers way back when.

HTH

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #14 on: 15 Jul 2021, 07:37 am »
I think those pictures are from Chris Brady, the guy that produced the Teres turntables. He had a lot of good info on there. Hope he is still around.