GR-Research Speaker Cables build by Rock Ball

richidoo

Re: GR-Research Speaker Cables build by Rock Ball
« Reply #40 on: 19 Sep 2020, 04:28 pm »
The braided white and copper certainly is prettier than the typical black techflex.

mkrawcz

« Reply #41 on: 19 Sep 2020, 04:38 pm »
Did you insert rope in the middle of the cable?

No rope

Rock Ball

« Reply #42 on: 19 Sep 2020, 05:14 pm »
I just received another GR Research 24 Strand Cable Kit from Danny.  The first one was my brother's.  This one is for me.

After reading the discussion about inserting rope and talking to Danny, I was curious about how easy it would be to install the rope.

I experimented with compressing the cable lengthwise to widen the center area.

Width of cable as received:

Width of cable with 5/8" rope inserted:

Width of cable with larger diameter such that the wires cross at a more perpendicular angle:

I think it looks really cool with the larger diameter.

It seems to stay in place pretty well if not moved around.  I don't have pets or children so I suspect the cables would be safe.  If bent, I could form them back into shape.

Has anyone experimented with the wider diameter?

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #43 on: 20 Sep 2020, 07:41 pm »
After Kimber came out with their Select series I experimented with the design on my 8TC cables.  Kimber used anti-static materials and the cheapest alternative I could think of was dryer sheets. So I saved a bunch of them and stuffed them down the middle of the expanded braid.  I compared the stuffed to regular 8TC and sadly couldn’t really tell much of a difference. 

In all honesty it was a silly experiment and mostly done out of boredom and mild curiosity.  I could hear how 4 and 8TC and even VS cables were better than ordinary zip cord and even larger twisted cables.  But my experiment was ultimately not well done and I just threw my hands up and said “whatever”.  I still use them on occasion but mostly as back up cables as they’re only 5’ long.

Rock Ball

« Reply #44 on: 22 Sep 2020, 11:47 pm »
I finished the second set of speaker cables.  I did a few things differently so I wanted to mention them here.

I ended up not using rope because I liked the look of the wider diameter cable with nothing in the center.

I bought a very nice wire stripper which made stripping all 96 wires much easier, neater, and faster.

Instead of using my soldering iron, I used my SMD/Rework Station.

It enabled me to heat the end of the tube connectors so that solder would flow completely to the ends, filling all air gaps.

(OCD note:  12 largest strands + 4 next largest strands fit inside end of tube.  Added more next larger strands as needed to fill the larger tube opening.)

The completed cable.

With the experience I gained from building the first set of cables, I was able to build these in much less time.

EDIT:  I failed to mention that I received my cable in one piece.  After I cut it in two, I marked the ends on both pieces to keep track of the 'direction' of the cable.  I added red heat shrink on the proper ends to indicate the original direction.  I'm not claiming that I can hear a difference in cable direction, but I just wanted to keep track of it.
« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2021, 12:15 pm by Rock Ball »

lincolnmat

« Reply #45 on: 23 Sep 2020, 01:32 pm »
So I just built a set of these and i happen to own a pair of Kimber 12VS cables that I use with my NX-Oticas. After about 8hrs of run time I compared the two and I think Danny's cables are slightly better. Not sure if its the actual cables or the fact that Danny's have tube connector barrels on the speaker end instead of bananas. I suspect they will get even better after 50hrs. So I would say the price is a steal and it's worth the hours it takes to terminate them.

I have used both Kimber VS and TC speaker cables. The TC is MUCH better than VS - much greater clarity. I have no experience with Danny's cable, so I am not trying to make a value comparison between his cable and Kimber TC. If it is functioning in the TC ballpark I would expect it to beat the VS.

gguy

« Reply #46 on: 23 Sep 2020, 06:34 pm »

I bought a very nice wire stripper which made stripping all 96 wires much easier, neater, and faster.

Can you share which wire strippers you purchased?

Rock Ball

« Reply #47 on: 23 Sep 2020, 06:41 pm »
Can you share which wire strippers you purchased?
https://www.tequipment.net/Ideal45-174.html

This is a case where you get what you pay for.  They make a less expensive version that doesn't have the special mil-spec die.

My cheaper wire strippers tore up the wire.

mkrawcz

« Reply #48 on: 23 Sep 2020, 08:50 pm »
I have used both Kimber VS and TC speaker cables. The TC is MUCH better than VS - much greater clarity. I have no experience with Danny's cable, so I am not trying to make a value comparison between his cable and Kimber TC. If it is functioning in the TC ballpark I would expect it to beat the VS.

Now that I have several days playing time through Danny’s cables, I can say that they are significantly better than Kimber VS.

apstoltz

« Reply #49 on: 24 Sep 2020, 12:56 am »
A few questions, did I miss where Danny stayed what type of copper is used? Also is the smaller 16 strand version the same color scheme as the larger strand?

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #50 on: 24 Sep 2020, 03:18 am »
Now that I have several days playing time through Danny’s cables, I can say that they are significantly better than Kimber VS.

Better than 12VS?

mkrawcz

« Reply #51 on: 24 Sep 2020, 10:16 am »
Better than 12VS?
Yes, better soundstage, richer midrange. IMO

bprochford

« Reply #52 on: 28 Sep 2020, 07:41 pm »
What's the purpose of the ESR paper strip used in the construction of these cables? I'm not familiar with this concept in building speaker cables.

Danny Richie

« Reply #53 on: 28 Sep 2020, 07:57 pm »
What's the purpose of the ESR paper strip used in the construction of these cables? I'm not familiar with this concept in building speaker cables.

Check it out:  https://www.stillpoints.us/index.php/product/ers

Jaytor

« Reply #54 on: 2 Oct 2020, 11:22 pm »
I've been really impressed with these cables. Danny made a set of 8 ft cables for me about six months ago and I've been enjoying them since. Excellent clarity and imaging, with a nice neutral sound.

I just ordered a kit to make another pair of shorter cables to use with my monoblocks which sit right behind the speakers.

uncola

« Reply #55 on: 3 Oct 2020, 07:41 am »
Maybe the ers paper is for the amp end terminations?  Electronics will emit a lot of crud(non scientific term)

mikeeastman

« Reply #56 on: 3 Oct 2020, 01:25 pm »
I just received my kit, are  there instruction on applying the ers paper any place? Everything else is well covered in Rock Balls posts.

mkrawcz

« Reply #57 on: 3 Oct 2020, 09:26 pm »
I just received my kit, are  there instruction on applying the ers paper any place? Everything else is well covered in Rock Balls posts.
The paper gets wrapped around just before the conductors split into the +and - groups. It goes underneath the large heat shrink.

smilesrs

« Reply #58 on: 8 Oct 2020, 06:02 pm »
Wow, this is a great thread.  I've been in the market for new cables and this will do the trick for me.  Thanks

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #59 on: 8 Oct 2020, 08:29 pm »
https://www.tequipment.net/Ideal45-174.html

This is a case where you get what you pay for.  They make a less expensive version that doesn't have the special mil-spec die.

My cheaper wire strippers tore up the wire.

Whoa. You can get a thermal wire stripper from eBay in good used condition for around $100 that should do the trick as well.