***X-LS Extravaganza***

AlexH

Re: ***X-LS Extravaganza***
« Reply #80 on: 10 Jan 2020, 10:33 pm »
Peter:

I agree with you Peter. I only use one coat of heat lock applied with a glue roller. Seems to work for me. Well I never had any veneer fall off yet. :lol:
« Last Edit: 11 Jan 2020, 12:23 am by AlexH »

shaddy

« Reply #81 on: 13 Jan 2020, 10:59 pm »
How exactly does one order a kit?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #82 on: 14 Jan 2020, 12:46 am »
How exactly does one order a kit?

You can contact me via PM here, or easier would be carbidewing@gmail.com

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #83 on: 19 Jan 2020, 10:29 pm »
I got the sanding video done. 1 hr. long  :slap: Bring popcorn and drinks.

https://youtu.be/BGUbrfspO54

AlexH

« Reply #84 on: 20 Jan 2020, 01:04 am »
Very good info Peter. Thanks for taking to time to share your knowledge with us.

Glenng78

« Reply #85 on: 20 Jan 2020, 06:53 pm »
Hey Peter !!! When are the studio monitor flat packs coming ? I already built your xls packs and they were amazing. Now I’m getting the itch for the new ones

RonP

« Reply #86 on: 20 Jan 2020, 08:33 pm »
Hmmmm yeah.. I could replace a Sonos speaker with a studio monitor that has a raspberry pi strapped to the back :icon_twisted:

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #87 on: 25 Jan 2020, 08:12 pm »
Nearly 3 years later, I actually fleshed these out with all the goodness Danny offers. Breaking in now in the shop, I suspect they'll end up in my office someday. After I remodel it, which is after I do DW's eBay room, then the backyard landscaping, then, then then... Suffice to say, it's a long list!

Captainhemo

« Reply #88 on: 27 Jan 2020, 02:47 am »
Honey-Do   :)

jay

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #89 on: 8 Feb 2020, 03:00 am »
I'm in the running for longest YouTube video, so here's my latest entry:

https://youtu.be/dBKCewpH56A

If you want to save watching another loooong video, here's the end result.

Rock Ball

« Reply #90 on: 8 Feb 2020, 03:27 pm »
I'm in the running for longest YouTube video, so here's my latest entry:

https://youtu.be/dBKCewpH56A

If you want to save watching another loooong video, here's the end result.

I just watched the video.  I thought you did a great job.  I skipped through some parts, only because I'm not working on that type of thing now, but I will watch every second when I use them as guides if I attempt to do this.  Thanks for making the looong videos; I don't think there's a better way to do it.

Also, I love the big rack of clamps in the background.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #91 on: 8 Feb 2020, 10:20 pm »
I just watched the video.  I thought you did a great job.  I skipped through some parts, only because I'm not working on that type of thing now, but I will watch every second when I use them as guides if I attempt to do this.  Thanks for making the looong videos; I don't think there's a better way to do it.

Also, I love the big rack of clamps in the background.

I'm resisting saying some coarse about big racks. I'm a little surprised someone hasn't mentioned "CLAMPMOTO" before.

I invariably start with visions of shorter videos, but, well, what can I say...

kenneth815

« Reply #92 on: 29 Feb 2020, 07:08 pm »
Hi Peter, I just sent you an email about a flatpack. If you have them available, I'm going to order the Kit from Danny (I have no woodworking skills) :D Super Excited

SCHIFT

« Reply #93 on: 7 Mar 2020, 08:15 pm »
Quick list for other seeking 1/4 in. shaft router bits....

Round-over for corner radius:
WHITESIDE PART # 2004, 2104
1/2” R, Dia.1-1/2”, 3/4 in cutting, 1/4 in. shaft

Flush trimming veneer inside tweeter:
Amana Tool 51204 SC
Short/Flat Pilot for Dado Clean Out & Dado Cleaning Flush Trim 1/4 D x 1/4 CH x 1/4 SHK x 1-1/2 Inch Long Single Flute Router Bit

Flush trimming cabinets Removing glue :
WHITESIDE RFTD2100
1/4 in. down spiral flush trimming bit

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #94 on: 8 Mar 2020, 03:31 pm »
Quick list for other seeking 1/4 in. shaft router bits....

Round-over for corner radius:
WHITESIDE PART # 2004, 2104
1/2” R, Dia.1-1/2”, 3/4 in cutting, 1/4 in. shaft

Flush trimming veneer inside tweeter:
Amana Tool 51204 SC
Short/Flat Pilot for Dado Clean Out & Dado Cleaning Flush Trim 1/4 D x 1/4 CH x 1/4 SHK x 1-1/2 Inch Long Single Flute Router Bit

Flush trimming cabinets Removing glue :
WHITESIDE RFTD2100
1/4 in. down spiral flush trimming bit

Thanks for compiling that. Between me not really having a vision of how this thread would evolve nor YouTube experience in general, pertinent info is scattered here and there. If I could go back and change, I might, because it's become a huge volume to take in.

Skilly

« Reply #95 on: 30 Mar 2020, 08:24 pm »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 16 May 2020, 04:08 pm by Skilly »

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #96 on: 30 Mar 2020, 08:56 pm »
Peter your work is amazing and inspirational. I am wondering if I have missed it but I am looking for some images of the crossover layout and wiring? I have the kit and the schematic, but for this noob, that is not very helpful. I watched Danny's video on crossover builds, particularly the one where he built the Klipsch RP600 M ones from scratch.

But the X-LS Encore schematic is very different. Not only more parts but very different circuits, I think. I got no clue on the wiring for it. My kit is pretty lean on instructions. Is there a resource or thread I have not seen yet that is more tailored to the x-ls Encore crossover assembly and wiring? and While I am begging for your experienced guidance, is there a template to cut the no rez for the box?

Scott

I'm not Peter but here are some pics of how I did mine:

Mike

Skilly

« Reply #97 on: 30 Mar 2020, 08:58 pm »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 16 May 2020, 04:10 pm by Skilly »

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #98 on: 30 Mar 2020, 10:13 pm »
And there you have it. Far more than I could have provided...thanks Mike.

I've thought about a template for NoRez, it's on my list, but well, it's on my list. FWIW, it doesn't have to be pretty. You do want to press hard when installing for PSA to get a good bond.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #99 on: 1 Apr 2020, 05:00 pm »
Funny story.  I was just beginning to cut a file on CNC yesterday, when I felt a little shaking. Now, mind you, I've had this machine shake the floor slab before (once when I crashed it) so that was my immediate thought. As I'm peering at the moving spindle trying t assess the cause, the feeling of lateral movement under my feet became much more intense. I think my heart skipped a beat or two prior to realizing that we were having an earthquake!

Only the second one  in my memory, last one 36 years ago, but it's never-the-less a really disconcerting feeling. So odd having a 6" slab start to feel like Jello underfoot while brain is trying to connect unconnected events.

Machine handled it mo' betta than me. I was nearly certain it would be a do-over, but as a stack of 5 gallon buckets toppled and added to my momentary confusion, it just kept on cutting.

That means that the next couple of X-LS kits shipped will have the distinction of being cut during a rare Idaho earthquake. I imagine they should sound even better as a result...

https://thehill.com/changing-america/resilience/natural-disasters/490565-largest-earthquake-in-decades-strikes-idaho