GG DAC with Elrog 300B and Takatsuki 274B, match made in heaven.

PhilipAC

Hi everyone

I have a GG HeadDAC. I listen much of the time on cans (HD800s). I have found a considerable difference in the amount of background noise using different output valves. The extent of background noise is particularly important on headphones- I find it much more intrusive than using speakers. I have so far found 300Bs noisier than 45s, and 45 mesh plates noisier than 45 solid plates. I am currently using KR 45 SPs which are very quiet and sound very good.

Have other people had the same experience? And if so, which output valves have been the most quiet (combined obviously with very good SQ)?

Thanks in advance

Philip

wisnon

Hi Phillip,

How are you? Do you have the new limited edition EML Anniversary 45 MESH Globes?

I can only think of AL and another guy in Texas who have true HeadDacs (not just HP outputs). AL knows the Tx fellow, so he is the best one to comment. Yesterday, he told me that he is now in the process of checking out his tube stash with SPEAKERS (Infinity IRS V), so I guess he could have great impressions/feedback soon. He will be getting his Mesh globes in a week or so as well.

If I can make a projection on the collection of impressions read so far, I guess the EML 45 solid and the PSVANE and WE 101ds may be among the most linear and silent tubes. Lukasz did say as well that the KR PX04 are the quietest of the lot if memory serves me right.

BTW, I hear that there will be a lovely Kron 5u4g recti on the horizon that will be superb!

ALRAINBOW

Hello
PHILIP I am out in the field now I'll reply later. But I have a few questions for now.
 What driver are you using. ?
What source are you using ?
Lastly does your head dac have imp matching transformers and sws on the rear. ?
Post later today.

PhilipAC

Hi Norman and Al

I am using a Bendix recti (6106 I think) and the driver that Lukasz provided with the HeadDAC- Russian I think. I've tried different rectis and drivers, but I'm happy with the ones above.

I have a pair of the new EML Anniversary 45 MPs, but they are really quite noisy. I was using a pair of EML 45 SPs that Greg lent me, but one of them went AWOL (to be fair, Greg said it was 12 years old). They sounded great and were quiet.

Incidentally, I have a 14m Toxic Cable SW22 headphone cable coming later this this week, which should be awesome! (14m because it needs to go round the walls from one corner of my lounge to the opposite corner to stay out of the hands of my gorgeous granddaughter!!).

Philip

PhilipAC

Hi Al

My source is an Aurender W20, although I'm also going to try a Lampi Komputer next month

PhilipAC

Hi Al

I don't understand your last question, so the answer is probably no!!

PhilipAC

Norman

When are you next in UK?

ALRAINBOW

Post a screen shot of the back of your dac please.
Have you tried the vt99 and its adaptor tungsol or Rca
They a military tube and you can buy real nos new
Not used at all.  I use them Ina few amps best I have found so far. There is one other tube I tried that was good but this tube  adds body that no other shows. Find one or two and a socket there not crazy in price about 100 or less. Also the adaptor is about 25 and a little more for a brass one.
No tubes I have tried are noisey. I think we are hearing the same things but calling it different terms. I also spoke to the guy in Texas he feels like me and never heard tubes as noisey in his lampi. 
Norman find out if he has imp transformers.  If he does he needs to bypass them for high imp headphones.
He may not have them though. 
What you may be calling noise might be what I call background sounds not noise meaning it's not there when nothing is playing. When using headphones some music plays loud well and some do not. Even greet recordings exhibit this type of sound
If you have Elton john tumbleweed connection in hi def or sacd or dsd there are three redeference songs on there. One shows what I am trying to explain above.
Talking old solders , love song , come down in time are the songs. The first one exhibits this type of sound. Some tubes are non linear in sound as such they can push some freq to hard when playing loud.
If you can post the songs and how loud you listen with them.  Also the eml 45 globes are very quit and cleaner then the bottle heads. Lastly it could be your driver over driving the output tubes into noise
I am not good at explaining and my post may be confusing sorry if it is.
But aside from speakers I have been a headphone user all of my life. I own  many flagships and Amps tubes matter plenty in tube Amps. And I have heard noise under certain circumstances stances but not with my lampis.  My woo we 5 does this with some tubes but it's being over driven from the drivers that cause this ringing
Also correct imp matching is important. Hd800 is a high imp can and needs high imp output with certain amps.
The head dac I own is heaven with them but must be in bypass mode for output transformers. Same for my Woo Wes.

wisnon

Norman

When are you next in UK?

Not sure.

My Mom may be there in coming weeks so I may be visiting soon.

i will let you know.