VMPS Speakers For Sale...!

davidc1

Re: VMPS Speakers For Sale...!
« Reply #1180 on: 21 Aug 2020, 02:33 am »
I saw these on eBay and am thinking about buying some replacement drivers for my Super Tower R's. I made them from the kits that were offered. It was fun.

The supertweeters I believe are the first "ribbon" ones that Brian used. Back in the mid to late 1980s. They are made by JVC. I don't know what "mlo" means. I confirmed this with Brian back in about 1988 when I saw what looked like the same  supertweeters at a speaker wholesale shop in Los Angeles. I called him and asked him if they one's he used were JVC and he said yes. He advised me to buy them as they were only $17 each! Mine were the original Motorola piezo's if I remember. He used the Motorola's for both the front firing and top firing supertweeters

Anyway, in 1988 I replaced all the drivers in my Super Towers from Brian as the older surrounds (I think they were foam) had disintegrated. So, I'm trying to figure out if the 15 woofers are newer or older than mine. Mine are the white ones.

I think the mids in this ad are newer cause they are "carbon" looking, while mine are "plastic".

Is the replacement of the surround critical to the sound? Cause the surrounds on the mids are gone. Or, can anybody do it?

Also, how do I know if I would need to change the crossover if I used these mids or 15's? I have the first QSO's that Brain made I believe. I upgraded to them also back around 1988.

Otherwise, all the drivers in mine are still working well and are my main system. I just recently upgraded to a 460wpc RMS amp (Carver), and the surrounds didn't disintegrate even when the amp clipped!

Here are pics of mine in case anybody can tell by viewing them if my drivers are older or newer than these. Thanks everyone!!

Various VMPS Drivers

X3967 15" Inch Speaker  -  (Old Appleton, Missouri)  $65.95

https://www.ebay.com/itm/V-M-P-S-Vintage-Tower-Speakers-Drivers-X3967-15-Inch-Speaker-3-1-2-3-/124205818918

MLO Ribbon Tweeter 1.4  -  (Old Appleton, Missouri)  $23.00

https://www.ebay.com/itm/V-M-P-S-Vintage-Tower-Speakers-Drivers-MLO-Ribbon-Tweeter-1-4-/164225038452

HRC 5 1/4" Mid Range 1.2 -  (Old Appleton, Missouri)  $32.55 - $39.77

https://www.ebay.com/itm/V-M-P-S-Vintage-Tower-Speakers-Drivers-HRC-5-1-4-Mid-Range-1-2-/164225025831
https://www.ebay.com/itm/V-M-P-S-Vintage-Tower-Speakers-Drivers-HRC-5-1-4-Mid-Range-D-1-2-/124205734350
https://www.ebay.com/itm/V-M-P-S-Vintage-Tower-Speakers-Drivers-HRC-5-1-4-Mid-Range-to-1-2-/124205732877

Crossover NETWORK 1.4  -  (Old Appleton, Missouri)  $49.77

https://www.ebay.com/itm/V-M-P-S-Vintage-Tower-Speakers-Drivers-Crossover-NETWORK-1-4-/124205735170

Free VMPS Cabinets  -  (Old Appleton, Missouri) 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/V-M-P-S-Vintage-Tower-Speakers-Drivers-Crossover-NETWORK-1-4-/124205735170

VMPS Super Tower Bass Woofers New Foam!  -  (Pasadena, California)  $75.00

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VMPS-Super-Tower-Bass-Woofers-New-Foam-/254663332778

VMPS Speakers, SUBWOOFER 12 inch Dual voice coil. -  (Willow Springs, Illinois)  $48.00

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VMPS-Speakers-SUBWOOFER-12-inch-Dual-voice-coil-6-Ohm-impedance-/184327960346

Stimpy

« Reply #1181 on: 23 Aug 2020, 01:33 am »
VMPS Vintage Stereo Speakers (QSO Dipole)  -  (San Diego, California)  $99 OB

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VMPS-Vintage-Stereo-Speakers-/193633862465

"VMPS Dipole surround vintage stereo speaker. I dont know much about these except they are an interesting design, in good shape and sound great!   Aprox 16X9 1/2 X 8 What a find!!"

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #1182 on: 23 Aug 2020, 02:13 am »
DavidC1,
Sorry, don't take this the wrong way.  I suspect it's impossible to accurately answer your questions.  Readers need info other than "older" and "newer" to properly answer questions Re. two drivers.   

For Q's Re. two different drivers, IMO the best method is to post images to which you have added an identifier like an alpha or numeric symbol.  Attach no other text to each driver image.  Then you can ask any Q you want comparing the two, and if I can help I shall, referring to your concrete symbols.       

AFAIK the white paper cone 15/foam surround is the very oldest 15 Brian sold.  By the mid-late 80s the 15 was the light blue poly 15/foam surround, then frankly I forget, probably a black carbon-filled poly cone.  Someone else can possibly confirm the cone and surround materials. (End DavidC1 reply) 

Re. VMPS Surround Dipole...for the few to no readers who don't know, with the advent of Dolby Digital True HD, Dolby recommends exclusively monopole surrounds; no other radiating pattern is recommended.  That leaves the Surround Dipole for pre-DD True HD, which I presume is of zero interest, or music.  For music, dipoles need ideally 5.5 feet between the speaker's rear drivers and the front wall, but really, this spec (10ms delay target) is for wavelengths well above the bass range.  The minimum delay path length is much longer at this speaker's cutoff in the mid 40s.  For that performance reason I'd pass on that speaker unless you can get 10 feet spacing to the front wall. 
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2020, 04:48 am by James Romeyn »

oldhvymec

« Reply #1183 on: 24 Aug 2020, 04:01 am »
On the dipoles, are both cone drivers active? If they are both active, different XO for the 2 different drivers?

What's the deal. I like it.. I'm just wondering how it's works..

Thanks

GeorgeAb

« Reply #1184 on: 25 Aug 2020, 04:45 am »

Re. VMPS Surround Dipole...for the few to no readers who don't know, with the advent of Dolby Digital True HD, Dolby recommends exclusively monopole surrounds; no other radiating pattern is recommended.  That leaves the Surround Dipole for pre-DD True HD, which I presume is of zero interest, or music.  For music, dipoles need ideally 5.5 feet between the speaker's rear drivers and the front wall, but really, this spec (10ms delay target) is for wavelengths well above the bass range.  The minimum delay path length is much longer at this speaker's cutoff in the mid 40s.  For that performance reason I'd pass on that speaker unless you can get 10 feet spacing to the front wall.

Good info James. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Count me as one of the few who did not know monopoles recommended as exclusive use with Dolby True HD. My understanding with surrounds a bipole is multi directional (typically offset by 90°) and in phase and dipole being multi directional and out of phase. I have the cabinets and all drivers to build a set of Brian's surround dipoles. I assume if you have a pair of VMPS dipole speakers (last iteration) likely best compromise is to switch the polarity of one side of the mids and tweeters to turn them into bipoles.  I have someone who is going to dig up the schematics or reverse engineer his VMPS Ribbon Dipole Surround speaker, so as of now I am not 100% sure if Brian (for the last iteration) wired mids/tweets out of phase only assuming based on definition. I now may have to rethink the project, but if I go forward will set up as bipoles.     

fredgarvin

« Reply #1185 on: 25 Aug 2020, 03:05 pm »
Fred,
The earliest RM series employed Boehlender Graebner planar type mid range as pictured.  Said mids have a copper dusted or plated diaphragm, some with so much green oxidation atop the copper that it looked like plant life was coming. 

IIRC, Brian did employ a certain (small) number of NOS spiral planar tweeters with Infinity's "Kappa" stenciled on its face plate. 

My biggest and only suspicion is timing.  I thought, but could absolutely be wrong, that the "Kappa" stenciled tweeters arrived later than the BG mid ranges.  Another alternative is that someone blew and replaced the OEM tweeter with a later Kappa stenciled tweeter. 

Again, I could be wrong, but AFAIK there's only one spiral planar tweeter that looks like that, and they all derived from the original Infinity Kappa series, and they all perform the same.  If someone knows different please correct this error. 

Interesting! It looks like a different speaker with the BG driver.

oldhvymec

« Reply #1186 on: 26 Aug 2020, 12:20 am »
 :cry:
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2021, 04:44 am by oldhvymec »

GeorgeAb

« Reply #1187 on: 26 Aug 2020, 06:20 pm »
« Last Edit: 26 Aug 2020, 08:48 pm by GeorgeAb »

GeorgeAb

« Reply #1188 on: 26 Aug 2020, 08:49 pm »

Bob Stark

« Reply #1189 on: 26 Aug 2020, 09:38 pm »
Hey George,

How did you like the speakers without the foam on the tweeters?  How did they sound like that?  I've had a pair of RM30's, 626R's, and 2 different pairs of RM40's WITH the foam on the  tweeters.  I've never heard the VMPS speakers without the foam.  My foam is really almost shot looking from up close due to a product I used to shine the speakers touching the foam and partially dissolved the foam pieces.

Thanks for any info,
Bob

JakeJ

« Reply #1190 on: 26 Aug 2020, 10:09 pm »
And I thank you, George!

GeorgeAb

« Reply #1191 on: 27 Aug 2020, 12:00 am »
Hey George,

How did you like the speakers without the foam on the tweeters?  How did they sound like that?  I've had a pair of RM30's, 626R's, and 2 different pairs of RM40's WITH the foam on the  tweeters.  I've never heard the VMPS speakers without the foam.  My foam is really almost shot looking from up close due to a product I used to shine the speakers touching the foam and partially dissolved the foam pieces.

Thanks for any info,
Bob

Bob,

For me, there was no difference.  I sourced something that looks quite similar, but after some long term listening never felt the need to cut and put on. My listening position is in the sweet spot which could be why I did not notice a difference. Run the RM-40's the same way.  The stuff Brian sourced appears to have a slightly tighter pores per inch. This is what I was going to try: https://carkart.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=10000159823&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Carkart&utm_term=4576304845751907&utm_content=Ad%20group%20%231 I have enough to do a couple sets of speakers.  Going to provide Jake so he has the choice to put on if he likes.  If you want the other half, PM me your address and I'll send.

Stimpy

« Reply #1192 on: 27 Aug 2020, 10:41 pm »
VMPS rm 30 pair  -  (San Francisco, CA)  $1,550.  (No Pat No...!)

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ele/d/el-sobrante-vmps-rm-30-pair/7173843127.html

(The Horror...!)

"One complete rm30 -Beautiful, Aurum Cantus FST Tweeter, Mega woofers,Aura caps, Silver wire . One Speaker factory built, the other by myself with all Cheney drivers: Dynapleats,6 inch mid basses and 10 inch I Tone Audio woofer, Polk Audio crossover plus custom ribbon and mid bass crossovers as well. Come give these incredible speakers a listen."

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #1193 on: 27 Aug 2020, 11:54 pm »
And I thank you, George!
Dang Jake that makes 3 main speakers sets if you still have the PSB's.

Alan

JakeJ

« Reply #1194 on: 28 Aug 2020, 12:52 am »
Hi Alan, how the heck are you?  Hope all are safe and healthy in your circles of friends and family.

Perhaps you mean my PMC?

Yup still got 'em.

Woodsea

Ampzilla Trinaural w/626's
« Reply #1195 on: 18 Sep 2020, 09:37 am »
For sale via Ebay located in California

$14K
3 VMPS 626 Ribbon Monitors, 3 Ampzilla 2000 Mono Block Amps. 1 Trinaural Processor, and Monster Speaker Cables (3)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ampzilla-2000-Mono-Block-Amps-VMPS-626-Ribbon-Speakers-Trinaural-System-RARE/154007048171?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D225074%26meid%3D1b00aed3a7b9404080320c62eb348eae%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D15%26mehot%3Dnone%26sd%3D274453144230%26itm%3D154007048171%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26brand%3DBLOCK&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A51bc71f0-f991-11ea-86b1-1e742c039dd6%7Cparentrq%3Aa08b37ce1740aa465253e783fffb7dee%7Ciid%3A1
This system originally sold for over $20,000.  It is in near MINT condition.

DESCRIPTION: 

This is owned by John Novello - Legendary composer/B3 player and pianist from the band Niacin featuring Billy Sheehan and Dennis Chambers. John and James Bongiorno, the inventor, were good friends. John has mixed all the Niacin CD's and many other projects using this Trinaural System but is moving, and now selling much of his recording equipment
including this award winning Audiophile Trinaural System!

YOU WILL NEVER FIND A COMPLETE SYSTEM IN THIS CONDITION AGAIN.  EXTREMELY RARE!

The Trinaural Processor (List price $1500) was invented by Jim Bongiorno to address the directional deficiency (and thus lack of realism) inherent in all music systems based on two channels (ie stereo). According to Jim's research, there is very little absolute left or right information in the real world. The sonic panorama is shaped more like a large arc across the soundstage, wherein the most important information comes from the center. Thus for truly live sounding acoustic reproduction, it's essential to have a center channel as part of the listening experience. The technical hurdle was how to properly integrate a center speaker. To simply add a summed center channel wouldn't work because normal power levels are not created to accommodate three channels and moreover, things would sound odd. Proper implementation requires re-vectorization of the composite stereo information for three channels. The Trinaural Processor was created for this purpose, and the end result is that center information comes primarily out of the center channel and very little comes out of the right or left. Additionally, the cross-coupled error information present in every stereo configuration is virtually eliminated. Another important technical note is that the Trinaural Processor is a linear, completely analog device with no digital processing. The Trinaural also has a bypass switch which allows you to connect your home theater pre/pro/receiver as a pass-through, enabling you to use your two-channel preamplifier for music reproduction without having to go through the Trinaural. So get ready! Listening to music will never be the same again!

Ampzilla 2000 Monoblock Power Amps by James Bongiorno

The Ampzilla 2000 Second Edition embodies state-of-the-art execution of a monoblock power amplifier. ... With this much power, a pair can drive the most demanding speaker loads to thunderous levels as deftly as they can whisper the most delicate notes from higher sensitivity speakers. On the muscle side, the Ampzilla uses twelve 250-watt output devices and a 2000VA custom designed and built transformer for each monoblock. As well, each monoblock has 100,000µf of power supply filtering with dual rectification. Utilizing a completely new variation of our Forward Gain topology to achieve unprecedented improvements in linearity, the new circuit is so smooth that it can actually be listened to open loop without feedback.
The Ampzilla 2000 Second Edition is conservatively rated at 300 watts into 8Ω and 540 watts into 4Ω, and is stable below 1Ω. With this much power, a pair can drive the most demanding speaker loads to thunderous levels as deftly as they can whisper the most delicate notes from higher sensitivity speakers.

The entire circuit is fully balanced from input to output and includes a unique new unbalanced-to-balanced converter for single-ended inputs. The captive industrial-grade 12 gauge power cord is selected specifically for the Ampzilla and is welded on for maximum conductivity and security, eliminating the hassle or expense of aftermarket cords. The Ampzilla 2000 Second Edition also sports a second set of binding posts for bi-wiring or -amplification. In sum, this proficient powerhouse is likely the last amplifier you’ll likely ever need.

Weight 58 lbs  Dimensions   L x 11" W x 7 ½" H  MAP  $4,250 each

VMPS 626 3-WAY RIBBON SPEAKERS

Specifications

Bass: - 16 cm (6") WCF Megawoofer bass, rear reflex loaded Mid: - rectangular 10 x 20 cm (4 x 8") Neo ribbon, 280 Hz - 6.9 kHz Treble: - FST, 6.9 kHz - 30 kHz Impedance & Sensitivity: - 8 Ohm (5.6 min.) 90 dB/1W/1m Power handling: - 150 W rms /4 Ohms, 20 W min. Frequency response: - 42 Hz-25 kHz +0/-3 dB Dimensions & Weight: - 61H x 25W x 33D cm, 18 kg (24"H x 10"W x 13"D, 40 lbs) Output levels and distortion: - max. 1% THD fullrange / 1 W, max. 110+ dB SPL / 1 m Finishes: - standard lite oak, dark oak. Optional MLS rosewood, african ebony, maple, piano black

MAP $4200/PAIR

GeorgeAb

« Reply #1196 on: 23 Sep 2020, 08:24 pm »
RM-2's in Western North Carolina for $850.  Location is almost equidistant from Atlanta, Knoxville, and Charlotte. 

https://asheville.craigslist.org/ele/d/brevard-vmps-rm2-loudspeakers/7200855737.html

Stimpy

« Reply #1197 on: 24 Sep 2020, 07:30 pm »
RM-2's in Western North Carolina for $850.  Location is almost equidistant from Atlanta, Knoxville, and Charlotte. 

https://asheville.craigslist.org/ele/d/brevard-vmps-rm2-loudspeakers/7200855737.html

Ooh, I would love those.  And not too far from me.  But I'm broke, due to Covid, so they'll have to wait for another day...!

Thanks for the heads-up...!   :D

Stimpy

« Reply #1198 on: 24 Sep 2020, 10:54 pm »
Speakers - VMPS Tower ll / Super Tower - (Kingwood, TX)  $650

https://houston.craigslist.org/ele/d/kingwood-speakers-vmps-tower-ll-super/7202274618.html

"Vintage pair, VMPS Tower ll / Super Tower floor standing speakers. For reviews, search the internet on these high quality speakers.

Very good condition, all surrounds very good condition

They are not small size - 18 x 19 x 50", 100 lbs each."

davidc1

« Reply #1199 on: 25 Sep 2020, 12:41 am »
The Super Towers are interesting... They are original vintage from the early to mid-80s. I have the exact same pair of myself. Probably the mid-80s because they have the JVC leaf / ribbon super tweeter. While the very originals, the Motorola piezoo as the super tweeter on the front panel as well.

However, the 15-in woofer does not look original. Or maybe it's the very first original one... I had mine replaced after about 10 years with the white ones, after the surround s disintegrated on the original

He mentions the tower twos, but these are clearly super temps. yet the measurements he gave, our measurements for the tower too. The super towers are closer to 60 in tall, and weigh dr about 140 lb