VMPS Speakers For Sale...!

Stimpy

Re: VMPS Speakers For Sale...!
« Reply #600 on: 17 Mar 2016, 02:15 am »
What was the sensitivity of the Strathhearn ribbon?

From what I've been able to find (from owners, nothing 'official'), the ribbon had a sensitivity of 87db.  The frequency response was 200 Hz to 16 Khz.  Their size was app. 24" x 5" x 2".  The transformer was a 6-Pikatron model "RUS-1091" German made matching transformer.

BEM10001

« Reply #601 on: 17 Mar 2016, 01:54 pm »
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ele/5493915472.html

BRAND NEW "VMPS" RM 30 Cabinets - $600 (hercules, pinole, san pablo, el sob)

$600 a pair for vmps rm30 cabinets(new in box) birch or Piano black finish $600 a pair. Great for the DIY'er. Pat
show contact info
I also have dipoles and LRC's all new some used available at a reduced price. Buy one or all. Thanks Pat M. RM30's are not shown in picture(only towers and LRC's) I have the rm30 cabinets in their original boxes ,wrapped and brand new.

BEM10001

« Reply #602 on: 17 Mar 2016, 01:55 pm »
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ele/5494196030.html

RM 60 WINGS Macasser ebony finish - $2800 (hercules, pinole, san pablo, el sob)

I have one pair of VMPS rm60 Wings missing tweeter (free swinging $134.00 ea.) includes bases for $2800. I also have two new unbuilt wings(one black,one macasser ebony) for an additional $1200. These are consumer electronics show award winning ribbon monitors. Best speaker under $10,000. Look it up. I bought the remains from the factory(VMPS) in El Sobrante. I have rm 30's,towers,dipoles,lrc's and more. all in need of assembly. EXCEPT these working rm 60's.

Stimpy

« Reply #603 on: 17 Mar 2016, 06:07 pm »
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ele/5493915472.html

BRAND NEW "VMPS" RM 30 Cabinets - $600 (hercules, pinole, san pablo, el sob)

$600 a pair for vmps rm30 cabinets(new in box) birch or Piano black finish $600 a pair. Great for the DIY'er. Pat
show contact info
I also have dipoles and LRC's all new some used available at a reduced price. Buy one or all. Thanks Pat M. RM30's are not shown in picture(only towers and LRC's) I have the rm30 cabinets in their original boxes ,wrapped and brand new.

Hi Pat,

I wish you would provide a complete inventory list of VMPS cabinets and parts.  Plus pricing.  Maybe even a few pictures!  :thumb:  Perhaps that would help in selling your surplus goods.

Thanks!

Stimpy

« Reply #604 on: 17 Mar 2016, 06:13 pm »
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ele/5494196030.html

RM 60 WINGS Macasser ebony finish - $2800 (hercules, pinole, san pablo, el sob)

I have one pair of VMPS rm60 Wings missing tweeter (free swinging $134.00 ea.) includes bases for $2800. I also have two new unbuilt wings(one black,one macasser ebony) for an additional $1200. These are consumer electronics show award winning ribbon monitors. Best speaker under $10,000. Look it up. I bought the remains from the factory(VMPS) in El Sobrante. I have rm 30's,towers,dipoles,lrc's and more. all in need of assembly. EXCEPT these working rm 60's.

Are these complete RM60 Wings, minus the FST ribbons?  So, containing all the Neo mid panels, plus the woofers in the bases too?  With Brian Cheney built internal crossovers, or were these SDE wired, for external crossovers?  Just curious, and trying to help with the sale.  Good luck.

Stimpy

« Reply #605 on: 20 Mar 2016, 07:48 pm »
VMPS Super Tower III  -  (Naples, Florida)  $3500

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VMPS-Super-Tower-III-/121930075545?hash=item1c63994d99:g:v4wAAOSwyjBW7eqx

"Up for Auction is a pair of VMPS Super Tower III speakers in Natural Oak. These sound incredible and I will miss them very much. The grills are in good shape the right tower is scratched on the outside, but they sound great. The Focal T120 tweeters still work great but need re-foaming. Kits available on ebay for 18.00. Aside from that they work great and will be listening to them until the bitter end. I strongly suggest local pickup. I will arrange for freight at cost after the sale. If you want them freighted to you I will have them on pallets and ready for pickup. Buyer will pay the freight directly, otherwise local pickup. I am selling because we are moving into a house that will not allow me to listen to them as they should be ........nice and loud. I will consider trades for something smaller like a nice pair of Paradigms or similar. Or really nice guitar. Pictures coming as soon as I can bring myself to take them. I have been in the Audio business for 20 years, and I know of no speaker that sounds close for the asking price. The closet thing to these I have set up were a pair of Focal Grand Utopias 2003 vintage."

Question:  Does ebay allow for trades?  I don't know how that'd work...???

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #606 on: 20 Mar 2016, 09:16 pm »
Deleted

Stimpy

« Reply #607 on: 22 Mar 2016, 10:08 pm »
VMPS Tower II/R floor speakers.  -  (Olinda, Maui, Hawaii)  $300   Road Trip...!   :icon_lol:

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/mau/ele/5495848376.html

"Description: Four-way, floor standing loudspeaker. Bass loading: reflex (passive radiator). Drive units: two 12" woofers, 12" passive radiator, 5" midrange, 1" soft-dome tweeter, ribbon (leaf) super-tweeter. Crossovers (electrical): 600Hz, 4.5Hz, 15kHz. Frequency response: 22Hz--50kHz ±3dB. Sensitivity: 95dB/W/m. Nominal impedance: 8 ohms. Recommended amplifier power: 20--300W.
Dimensions: 43" H by 15" W by 15" D. Finish: oiled walnut. Weight: 95 lbs. Original cost $1400/pair

Terrific sounding audiophile speakers. Had them set up for many years in my California home. Moved them here, but never set them up -- too big and no room suitable for hifi. Could use a little cosmetic cleanup. Great deal for someone who'd like some high end floor speakers at a bargain price."

sharper

« Reply #608 on: 24 Mar 2016, 05:37 am »
I have one of these brochures and could scan it if there is interest. 

The specs read:
Midrange/Treble:  5/16" x 130" ribbon element, side-by-side traces, radiation height 69"
Supertreble:  3/16" x 2 1/4" ribbon

-Gary
Gary, I'd appreciate if you could scan your Widerange Ribbon brochure. I can't seem to find mine at the moment and it appears that my scan from a few years ago didn't turn out too well after uploading.

It was such an incredible speaker. The time I heard them at Clark's place left a lasting impression. The absolute scale they projected was massive in the same way that the Sonus Faber Extrema projected tremendous scale for a large standmount. In Clark's huge loft space, singers appeared as 10 foot genies coming out of their lamp. Never heard anything come close, in terms of scale, since. 

I bought the other pair that Clark had sans space boxes as part of a trade-in. Two weeks later, Lionel G (who later joined SimAudio) helped me cart them back to Montreal in a rental van. They were so heavy! Unfortunately, got them home and they didn't work. Called Brian. There was no way to fix them. I think he said there were only 8 pairs of the WRII. I recall him saying the ribbon was unreliable. He was decent about it...he gave me a credit towards another pair of speakers.

Nice to see this thread and forum still going.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #609 on: 24 Mar 2016, 05:54 am »
Those TIIs in Hawaii are absolutely ancient, estimate 30 years old.  Peerless mid, the oldest cone mid I can remember Brian ever using.  Those are the first era TII, likely the Morel MDT29.  Super tweeter is either the original JVC planar or the latter Taiwan clone, likely the former.  Mid bass foam surrounds look totally shot.

A few years after I met Brian he phased out the Peerless mid for his own better performing design, steel basket, black carbon-poly cone, large foarm surround. 

I remember a guy brought in for service the original VMPS "Tower" cabinets prior to those TII models.  As weird as this sounds, that Tower made the Tower II look modern by comparison.   

esprits4s

« Reply #610 on: 25 Mar 2016, 11:26 pm »
bbbb
Gary, I'd appreciate if you could scan your Widerange Ribbon brochure. I can't seem to find mine at the moment and it appears that my scan from a few years ago didn't turn out too well after uploading.

It was such an incredible speaker. The time I heard them at Clark's place left a lasting impression. The absolute scale they projected was massive in the same way that the Sonus Faber Extrema projected tremendous scale for a large standmount. In Clark's huge loft space, singers appeared as 10 foot genies coming out of their lamp. Never heard anything come close, in terms of scale, since. 

I bought the other pair that Clark had sans space boxes as part of a trade-in. Two weeks later, Lionel G (who later joined SimAudio) helped me cart them back to Montreal in a rental van. They were so heavy! Unfortunately, got them home and they didn't work. Called Brian. There was no way to fix them. I think he said there were only 8 pairs of the WRII. I recall him saying the ribbon was unreliable. He was decent about it...he gave me a credit towards another pair of speakers.

Nice to see this thread and forum still going.

Sure, I'd be happy to.  I'm out of town at the moment, but I will scan them next week.

-Gary

DFaulds

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #612 on: 28 Mar 2016, 05:12 pm »
Re. the Srathearn ribbon seller's alleged "20k Hz" HF cutoff: I would bet (breakfast money @ McDonald's) there is at least moderate roll off by 20k Hz.  I would further bet, the primary issue Re. HF performance is not on-axis, but rather that the further off-axis is 20k Hz response measured, the steeper does it fall off a sharp cliff.

Brian placed the original JVC planar super tweeter far above the seated listener's head, again, where it's off-axis response is not not particularly linear.  Why?  He's not here to explain his choice, but that's why I'm here to bloviate. 

The only explanation that makes sense is for the super tweeter's output to fill the general listening space above the listener's ears with high quantity of top octave energy, the point being to minimize directionality and increase the size of the sweet spot.  A planar super tweeter on vertical axis with the listener's ears (regardless the tweeter height, see RM/X tweeter with rotating horizontal axis), would require considerably lower output than the tweeter located where Brian place it.  The net result would be increased directionality in the top octave, and smaller sweet spot size. 

One could make a very good case that the loudspeaker designer's ultimate quandary is not on-axis (line of sight) response, but rather the "power response" which is the sum total of on-axis + everything else.  In this case "everything else" is all reflected sound, AKA "reverberant field." 

Tests were performed at specific seats of the world's best music halls deemed to have the best, most pleasant qualities for listeners.  A common thread is that more than 50% of the measured output is reverberant field, not direct line of sight.  To most audiophiles on-axis is the Holy Grail, less so to scientists who tested such things.  (Guess which audience speaker designers and their marketing departments cater to?) 

The parameters of the ideal reverberant field are well known and established now.  It is impossible for a mono pole or even a single speaker dipole/bipole to fulfill the ideal reverberant field parameters as well as two discreet full range or almost-full range speakers per channel, one speaker supplying narrow dispersion for on-axis, the other speaker supply late-arriving, full range or almost full range, spectrally correct (pretty flat), uncorrelated (relative to on-axis) reverberant field. 

It's anti-intuitive, but the less correlated is reverberant field from on-axis, the better the ear/brain can differentiate it, and the less is ear/brain processing.  The soft target for "late arriving" reverberant field is 10ms, which equals 11.3 feet, which divided by two = 5.65 feet, which not coincidentally is the preferred minimum target distance to the front wall for dipole/bipole speakers like Brian's V60 Wing and RM-50. 

On a related note, this explains exactly why there is not universal agreement whether to use or not use Brian's patented planar wave guide.  The wave guide causes more of a cardiod response shape, which is better or worse depending on the application.  The wave guide increases linearity on-axis, but also minimizes reverberant field, making it sound overly dry in some or most cases.  So there's no free lunch, but rather picking one's poison so to speak, leading to wide disagreement about its use.   

IMO the universally approved application would be to employ the wave guide with our AudioKinesis "Space Generator" accessory speaker fulfilling all reverberant field parameters as described by Toole, Geddes, LeJeune, and other scientists who spent their lives studying this subject.  The sum total is the ideal/increased linearity via the wave guide (narrower radiation, less early/bad reflections from anything close in proximity to the main speakers) + the ideal reverberant field.  Disparity in driver "speed" is of no consequence (planar on-axis vs. cone/compression driver reverberant field) because the nature of reverberant field is that it is must be delayed by at least 10ms (11.3 feet) relative to on-axis. 

The end result would be more convincing than anything Brian conceived, and it allows placement flush with the front wall, something impossible with a dipole/bipole (placing V60 or RM-50 flush with the front wall would likely be best with the rear wave fully damped, all reverberant field provided by the Space Generators).

The prospect of convincing audiophiles to consider an entirely new paradigm (two speakers per ch) is daunting if not close to impossible.  But such is the case with many great inventions, whether this is one or not.

Last week my favorite motorcycle blog posted a Honda marketing video announcing Honda's intention to offer DCT (dual clutch algorithm controlled auto/manual transmission) on a growing list of models, currently on three models).  The audience split into three camps, the majority either hating or desiring DCT, many of the haters having no idea what it is, and the smallest ratio being neutral.  I drove a BMW cage with SMG (same technology) and found SMG to be a good candidate for the best vehicle invention in my 5o years of riding/driving.

Stimpy

« Reply #613 on: 30 Mar 2016, 07:59 pm »
REPOST & PRICE DROP

VMPS Ribbon Monitor RM-40 Speakers - Gloss Black - LOCAL PICKUP ONLY  -  $2999.99

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VMPS-Ribbon-Monitor-RM-40-Speakers-Gloss-Black-LOCAL-PICKUP-ONLY-/291723703606?hash=item43ec167536:g:SQwAAOSwnipWXy4m

http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/ele/5513686186.html

VMPS RM-40 Speakers, RM-LRC, Larger Subwoofer -  (Santa Barbara, CA)  $3200, $400, & $400

http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/ele/5391380202.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/ele/5340854135.html

Gloss black RM-40 (Ribbon Monitor) speakers w/ outboard crossover - $3200
Specifications -
Bass: 10" WCF Megawoofer bass, 10" WCF midbass, 10" Passive Radiator
Mid: four rectangular 4 x 8" Neo ribbons, 280 Hz - 6.9 kHz
Treble: FST, 6.9 kHz - 30 kHz
Impedance & Sensitivity: 4 Ohm (3.6 min.) 90 dB/1W/1m
Power handling: 500 W rms / 4 Ohms, 20 W min.
Frequency response: 24 Hz - 25 kHz +0/-3 dB
Dimensions & Weight: 66"H x 13"W x 17"D, 240 lbs)
Output levels and distortion: max. 1% THD fullrange / 1W, max. 115+ dB SPL / 1m

This particular pair of speakers (s/n 63646 & 63647) have had the following upgrades:
VMPS RM-40 (Ribbon Monitors) $4999 - original purchase price
Auricap Cap Upgrade $650
Special Limited Edition Dorn Dibble Cabinet $400
Outboard XO option (OXO) - $650

Cosmetically they are in fair to good condition - the cabinets have some dings, scratches, and marks from being mis-handled by movers, but sonically they are in excellent condition. The grill cloth has come loose in a couple of areas, but can be re-glued.

Stimpy

« Reply #614 on: 30 Mar 2016, 08:05 pm »
REPOST

VMPS SUPERTOWER II/R 15" SUB WOOFERS (PAIR)  -  $125 BIN

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VMPS-SUPERTOWER-II-R-15-SUB-WOOFERS-PAIR-/182063304383?hash=item2a63d18ebf:g:A5EAAOSwuAVWwpFj

VMPS 15" WOOFER SUPERTOWER II /R  -  (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania)  $80 BIN

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181884288521?rmvSB=true

"15" SUB WOOFERS (PAIR) FOR THE SUPERTOWER II/R AND OTHER VMPS SPEAKERS. THESE HAVE BEEN REFOAMED AND ARE READY TO GO."

Stimpy

« Reply #615 on: 1 Apr 2016, 01:10 am »
STILL AVAILABLE - An Oldie but a Goodie  -  $295

http://stcloud.craigslist.org/ele/5516153997.html

12 inch VMPS Bass Subwoofer Speaker - $295 (Clear Lake, MN)

http://stcloud.craigslist.org/ele/4187398811.html

"This is a 12" diameter in-home non-powered subwoofer with a 12" active radiator in front and a 12" passive radiator in bottom. VMPS calls it their "Smaller Subwoofer." It measures 16" wide, 16" deep and 27" tall with a nice walnut top.

VMPS has been known for making outstanding sub woofers and speakers for nearly 3 decades. The subwoofer is rated at 8 ohms and the frequency range is 28-150Hz.

This unit will take just about all the power you can throw at it (up to 250 watts rms) and the bass really "rocks the house." "

Stimpy

« Reply #616 on: 5 Apr 2016, 06:49 pm »
REPOST  -  Still Available

VMPS 626 Jr SPEAKER 626jr speakers vmps626jr - $1000 CAD  $758 USD

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/ele/5519478915.html

VMPS 626 Jr SPEAKER 626jr speakers vmps626jr - (Canada - Vancouver)  $1000 CA Dollars  -  $727 U.S.

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/ele/5335453057.html

"Ribbon planar midrange speakers with great warmth and upgraded carbon fiber woofer for a nice deep tight punchy bass. Vmps626 jr Adjustable tweeter and mid cross-over. The crossover adjustments are in back as pic showes. Compact speaker or HUGE bookshelf? :) have receipt and box(only 1 , sorry)...FIRM"

Stimpy

« Reply #617 on: 5 Apr 2016, 07:17 pm »
REPOST  -  Still Available

VMPS RM-1 speakers - $795

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/ele/5539889805.html

"Modified RM-1 towers in excellent condition. 110 lbs each. They come with 2 extra planar midrange units for future repairs. Biampable, adjustable mid and tweeter levels. Incredible sound and awesome bass. Had the stock woofers replaced with 4 expensive 10" Peerless units and had the system re-tuned by Mike at Soundscape (speaker designer). Bought these for $650 used (great deal at the time) and spent $700 modifying them properly. The Bass is clear, defined, deep and powerful. The big planar midrange is transparent and sweet. The ribbon tweeter is from 7000hz up and nice and airy. They will do classical to rock with authority. I can demo."

VMPS RM-1 speakers - (Santa Rosa, CA)  $750

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/ele/5212821230.html

"Modified RM-1 towers in excellent condition. Comes with 2 extra planar midrange units for future repairs. Biampable, adjustable mid and tweeter levels. Incredible sound and awesome bass. Had the stock woofers replaced with expensive Peerless units and had the system re-tuned by Mike at Soundscape (speaker designer). Bought for $650 used (great deal at the time) and spent $700 modifying properly. I have 12 pairs of speakers total (all kinds) and need to thin the herd. These are the only ones of real value and need the money for kids college."
« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2016, 12:37 am by Stimpy »

Stimpy

« Reply #618 on: 7 Apr 2016, 10:24 pm »
REPOST & Price Drop  -  $650

http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/ele/5526817551.html

VMPS TOWER II LOUDSPEAKERS  -  (CHELMSFORD, MA)  $750

http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/ele/5477820807.html

"VMPS TOWER II LOUDSPEAKERS BY ITONE AUDIO, CA.--HIGHLY EFFICIENT SPEAKERS--GENUINE WALNUT VENEER WITH SNAP OUT BAFFLE COVERS--50"H X 21.5W X 17D--POWER REQUIREMENTS 20-300W RMS--12" SUBWOOFER, 12" LOW BASS WOOFER, 5" MIDRANGE, TWO FRONT TWEETERS ONE TOP TWEETER. SPEAKERS WERE PURCHASED NEW BY PRESENT OWNER AND HAVE HAD ONE IN HOME FACTORY UPGRADE."

Stimpy

« Reply #619 on: 10 Apr 2016, 10:02 pm »
REPOST

VMPS (Clone) Tower's  -  $825

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ele/5532470581.html

"VMPS speakers - It's design philosophy covers what many experienced listeners desire searching for a high-fidelity loudspeaker.

CES winner in high-end audio category

Frequency response: - 35 Hz - 25 kHz +0/-3 dB
Dimensions & Weight: - (10,5 H x 32 W x 13 D, 50 lbs)

Finished in piano black high gloss.

Cost 1900 for the pair.

Asking 825 or best offer.

Must sell...make offer"

VMPS LRC Prototype - (Walnut Creek, California - San Francisco Bay Area)  $800

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ele/5050756719.html

"LCR Tower Prototype...Like NEW

VMPS design philosophy covers what many experienced listeners desire from high-fidelity loudspeakers. "CES Winner in High-End Audio"

Specifications:
LOWS - 2 x 6" Woofer front loaded
MIDS - Rectangular 4 x 8" Neo ribbon producing 280 Hz - 6.9 kHz
HIGHS - Neo FF Tweeter
Impedance and Sensitivity - 4 Ohm 90 dB/1W/1m
Power handling: - 250 Watts RMS @ 4 Ohms
Frequency response: - 35 Hz - 23 kHz
Dimensions and Weight: - 10.5" H x 32"W x 13"D and 50 lbs
Finished in Black Oak with black clothe grills

MSRP: $950.00 each

Just 800 for the pair!!!"