VMPS Speakers For Sale...!

Stimpy

Re: VMPS Speakers For Sale...!
« Reply #520 on: 16 Feb 2016, 06:02 pm »
VMPS RM30 RARE!  -  (Oakland East, CA)  $1400

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ele/5449424216.html

"Rare VMPS RM30 hybrid planar magnetic speakers.

***STOP FLAGGING*** This is a legitimate sale. I am the original owner since new. LOCAL SALE ONLY!

I am the original owner of these speakers, which I purchased directly from Brian Cheney (VMPS). I have taken extremely good care of these speakers. I have had them for almost 10 years, and as you can tell from the pics, which I just took today, they have been properly maintained and not abused.

These were built with the following Factory Upgrades: Megawoofers, Soundcoat, CDWG, Auracap Crossovers, Analysis Plus internal wiring, etc., etc...

I would rate them a very strong 6-7.5, mostly due to age. The piano black finish is still in great condition (they've been wiped done once a week, religiously since the beginning), with some "very" light surface scratches, which can only be seen under a very direct bright light.

The bass and midbass drivers are in excellent condition, with the original damping putty still in place. (I've used these in an active system, which for the most part entirely bypasses the bass and midbass drivers. They've maybe seen two years of use.

The planar magnetic drivers and Aurum Cantus ribbbon tweeters are all in good working condition for their age. The planar magnetic drivers have been actively high passed at around 400hz, through a Lyngdorf room correction system for most of their lives.

These speakers are not perfect, although well loved, they are still used. I'm selling due to an upcoming move, and a need to move to a smaller system. They can be demoed locally. I will only sell to local buyers.

Price is reasonable best offer. This is not a fire sale, so low ballers will politely ignored. You're going to have a very hard time finding another set of RM30s anywhere.

Thanks for looking!"

Stimpy

« Reply #521 on: 17 Feb 2016, 09:14 pm »
REPOST  & Price Drop 

VMPS RM-40 Speakers  -  $2800

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/ele/5497879788.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VMPS-Ribbon-Monitor-RM-40-Speakers-Gloss-Black-LOCAL-PICKUP-ONLY-/291695266647?hash=item43ea648b57:g:SQwAAOSwnipWXy4m

VMPS RM-40 Speakers, RM-LRC, Larger Subwoofer -  (Santa Barbara, CA)  $3200, $400, & $400

http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/ele/5391380202.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/ele/5340854135.html

"Gloss black RM-40 (Ribbon Monitor) speakers w/ outboard crossover - $3200
Specifications -
Bass: 10" WCF Megawoofer bass, 10" WCF midbass, 10" Passive Radiator
Mid: four rectangular 4 x 8" Neo ribbons, 280 Hz - 6.9 kHz
Treble: FST, 6.9 kHz - 30 kHz
Impedance & Sensitivity: 4 Ohm (3.6 min.) 90 dB/1W/1m
Power handling: 500 W rms / 4 Ohms, 20 W min.
Frequency response: 24 Hz - 25 kHz +0/-3 dB
Dimensions & Weight: 66"H x 13"W x 17"D, 240 lbs)
Output levels and distortion: max. 1% THD fullrange / 1W, max. 115+ dB SPL / 1m

This particular pair of speakers (s/n 63646 & 63647) have had the following upgrades:
VMPS RM-40 (Ribbon Monitors) $4999 - original purchase price
Auricap Cap Upgrade $650
Special Limited Edition Dorn Dibble Cabinet $400
Outboard XO option (OXO) - $650

Cosmetically they are in fair to good condition - the cabinets have some dings, scratches, and marks from being mis-handled by movers, but sonically they are in excellent condition. The grill cloth has come loose in a couple of areas, but can be re-glued.

Gloss black RM-LRC - $400
Specifications -
Bass: 2x 6" WCF megawoofer, front reflex loaded
Mid: rectangular 4 x 8" Neo ribbon, 280 Hz - 6.9 kHz
Treble: FST, 6.9kHz - 30kHz
Impedance & Sensitivity: 4 Ohm (3.6 min.) 90 dB/1W/1m
Power handling: 250 W rms / 4 Ohms, 20 W min.
Frequency response: 35 Hz - 25 kHz +0/-3 dB
Dimensions & Weight: 10.5"H x 32"W x 13"D, 50 lbs)
Output levels and distortion: - max. 1%THD fullrange/1W, max. 110+ dB SPL / 1 m

Again, cosmetically it's a little rough from being moved. It looks like it got slid across a rough surface on its top - many scratches.

Gloss black New Larger Subwoofer w/ Megawoofers - $400
Specifications:
Drivers: 15" WCF Megawoofer, 12" WCF Megawoofer, 15" Passive Radiator
Rec. xover range: 60 Hz - 250 Hz
Internal wiring: 12 gauge Monster Cable
Impedance & Sensitivity: 4 Ohm, 92 dB/1W/1m
Power handling: 600 W rms / 4 Ohms, 20 W min.
Frequency response: 17 Hz - 250 Hz +0/-3dB
Dimensions & Weight: 23"H x 32"W x 19"D, 138 lbs
Output levels and distortion: max. 0.5% 20 Hz to 250 Hz / 1 W, min. 115 dB SPL / 1m at 20 Hz & 2.5%THD

Again, cosmetically it's not in great shape, the whole left side is scraped up."
« Last Edit: 20 Mar 2016, 12:30 am by Stimpy »

Stimpy

« Reply #522 on: 18 Feb 2016, 09:25 pm »
Wow.  Awesome price, from an 'honest' seller!    :lol:

2 VMPS Minimum Phase Response  -  (N.W. Chicago, IL)  $

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/ele/5452520433.html

"I have these 2 huge speakers. They're too big and loud for my room. They sound great. And are heavy as shit. Also come with a center sound speaker. $100 OBO"

BEM10001

« Reply #523 on: 23 Feb 2016, 02:59 pm »
VMPS RM30 RARE!  -  (Oakland East, CA)  $1400

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ele/5449424216.html

"Rare VMPS RM30 hybrid planar magnetic speakers.

***STOP FLAGGING*** This is a legitimate sale. I am the original owner since new. LOCAL SALE ONLY!

I am the original owner of these speakers, which I purchased directly from Brian Cheney (VMPS). I have taken extremely good care of these speakers. I have had them for almost 10 years, and as you can tell from the pics, which I just took today, they have been properly maintained and not abused.

These were built with the following Factory Upgrades: Megawoofers, Soundcoat, CDWG, Auracap Crossovers, Analysis Plus internal wiring, etc., etc...

I would rate them a very strong 6-7.5, mostly due to age. The piano black finish is still in great condition (they've been wiped done once a week, religiously since the beginning), with some "very" light surface scratches, which can only be seen under a very direct bright light.

The bass and midbass drivers are in excellent condition, with the original damping putty still in place. (I've used these in an active system, which for the most part entirely bypasses the bass and midbass drivers. They've maybe seen two years of use.

The planar magnetic drivers and Aurum Cantus ribbbon tweeters are all in good working condition for their age. The planar magnetic drivers have been actively high passed at around 400hz, through a Lyngdorf room correction system for most of their lives.

These speakers are not perfect, although well loved, they are still used. I'm selling due to an upcoming move, and a need to move to a smaller system. They can be demoed locally. I will only sell to local buyers.

Price is reasonable best offer. This is not a fire sale, so low ballers will politely ignored. You're going to have a very hard time finding another set of RM30s anywhere.

Thanks for looking!"

BOUGHT! Thanks for the heads up on the listing, now trying to be patient as I await shipment to the East Coast.

Stimpy

« Reply #524 on: 24 Feb 2016, 01:27 am »
BOUGHT!

Awesome!  Congratulations!    :notworthy:  I hope you enjoy them.  Also, what gear do you plan on running them with?

Thanks for the heads up on the listing, now trying to be patient as I await shipment to the East Coast.

My pleasure, glad that it worked out.  Plus, shipping to the East Coast!  I hope that wasn't too expensive?  And it's nice to hear that a pair of VMPS speakers made it to my Coast too.  It doesn't seem like many made it out here.    :banghead:

Oh yea, Welcome to AC.  Epic first post!    :D

BEM10001

« Reply #525 on: 24 Feb 2016, 01:26 pm »
Awesome!  Congratulations!    :notworthy:  I hope you enjoy them.  Also, what gear do you plan on running them with?

My pleasure, glad that it worked out.  Plus, shipping to the East Coast!  I hope that wasn't too expensive?  And it's nice to hear that a pair of VMPS speakers made it to my Coast too.  It doesn't seem like many made it out here.    :banghead:

Oh yea, Welcome to AC.  Epic first post!    :D

Gear is in process. Right now I have a set of RM2s running on an Onkyo 4K surround sound receiver. Will do the same with these but have been told I need to get some tube amps etc. Think I just bought a gateway drug. My friend used to be a VMPS dealer in Soho (NYC) so he's coming out to tune and help me buy whatever else I need. Shipping is going to be about $500 so all-in not horrible. I am going to be listing the RM2s in a week or two once the 30s arrive (fingers crossed undamaged). One of the RM2 cabinets was damaged in a previous move but everything is still sealed and functioning properly. I bought them back in 2003. Will post specifics once my buddy is in town, I just buy what he tells me as I am a bit clueless when it comes to such things. I can tell when something sounds good vs bad but how he gets it there is black magic to me.
Anyway not sure if the cabinet could be repaired or if the new owner would be better off getting new cabinets made and transferring the electronics over. They deserve a good home and some TLC. Ultimate goal for the RM30s is to combine them with a set of RMXs someday down the road when space and budget allow.

Other gear we have includes a few setups at dad's house, proper 7.2 channel setup with Sonance beryllium everything and my favorite "pet project" in his family room that consists of an NHT center, Gallo L/R and a huge VMPS sub behind the TV cabinet. Was cautioned to have the sub facing the wall and not the cabinet so as to avoid literally vibrating the cabinet apart!

For right now I am just super excited to get the RM30s and reading everything I can about them. For my current room they are ideal and have read all the patent filings on the waveguide which sounds super cool. I haven't actually heard a set in person, but between me and my friend we have had the RM2s, RM40s, RMX, 626 (maybe forgetting others he rotated a lot of gear in and out of his studio) and I am very optimistic on the RM30s.

BEM10001

« Reply #526 on: 24 Feb 2016, 01:32 pm »
Actually reading through the whole thread post #39 is my sub that I sold! I bought a pair from a guy local for $200 if memory serves and I only had use for one at the time (dad's family room). Kicking myself for letting the other one go but such is life.

Stimpy

« Reply #527 on: 24 Feb 2016, 05:54 pm »
That was a nice "little" sub, comparatively speaking.   :lol:   It's a shame that you sold it.  I liked the style of that series of subs too.  The 12" woven woofer, and the Oak cabinet with the routed edges looked really nice to me.

VMPS Passive Subwoofer Huge Heavy Very Deep Base - $300.00  (West Loop Chicago, Illinois)

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/ele/4365932518.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VMPS-Passive-Subwoofer-Huge-Heavy-Very-Deep-Base-/281281753019?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item417db2efbb

"1 VMPS Passive Subwoofer. Original cost $800+. Great condition with minor scratches here or there, but very beautiful.

- 12 inch front firing super-tight driver with huge cone
- 12 inch down firing passive radiator
- Light colored wood enclosure with gloss black top and black grille (grille not pictured)

Subwoofer is tuned by removing some of the "putty" that is on the passive radiator (down firing) driver cone. You can set it for super tight deep bass or long throw extended bass. Sound is incredible. This is the best "musical" passive subwoofer in my opinion. Not muddy sounding at all. Can be used for home theater systems as well.

For sale locally, no shipping."

Stimpy

« Reply #528 on: 24 Feb 2016, 06:39 pm »
...I haven't actually heard a set in person...

That's funny, as the RM30's are the only VMPS speakers that I have heard.  And as it must be pretty obvious, that listening session left a lasting impression!    :inlove:

It was CES 2005, and Brian was debuting the RM30 and 215 sub.  A typical show back then for Brian, a too small room, plastered with his live end/dead end decorations.  Sonex and egg crate foam everywhere.  No tube gear that I was aware of.  But, I really only remember the look of vivid-blue SST Ampzilla amps stacked to the side of the room!  Weirdly strange and wonderful; an amp befitting as colorful a character as James B.  In fact James, Brian, John and occasionally Shirley (in and out), were in the room.  I chatted a bit with John (too nervous and intimidated to talk with Brian or James), discussing mainly music.  Something about Shirley Bassey singing lead vocals on the Yello 'Rhythm Divine' track, that was playing in the background.  Why I say background, I'm not sure, as the music was definitely above a background level.  It was Loud.  But beautifully fast, clean, detailed, punchy, and vividly realistic.  The RM30's and 215 sub easily bested most of what I heard at The Show that weekend, regardless of price.  The Pipe Dreams that I heard; not even close, at least IMHO.

...but have been told I need to get some tube amps

I don't think VMPS RM30's require tube amps.  Just good sounding high current amps.  And not necessarily high power.  Just as good as you can afford, because the 30's will accurately pass through whatever they're feed, warts and all.  I'd think even a modestly powered Class A amp would work.  But, that depends on your playback-level listening habits, not the speaker's requirements.

Ultimate goal for the RM30s is to combine them with a set of RMXs someday down the road when space and budget allow.

Don't I wish!  The RM-X's would work for me too...!!!    :o :bounce: :o  Keep us updated, I'm really looking forward to your RM30 impressions.  And I wish I were closer, I'd love those RM-2's...!!!    :thumb:

Stimpy

« Reply #529 on: 24 Feb 2016, 06:59 pm »
And now for something just a little different...!

WTB - VMPS speakers and subs  -  Kansas City, Missouri

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/wan/5462171178.html

"Please contact me if you have VMPS speakers or subs you would like to sell."

BEM10001

« Reply #530 on: 24 Feb 2016, 09:48 pm »
Just meant the sub was huge in comparison to the Gallos! I know there are a number of much bigger options, like the ones NASA uses to test the shuttle or whatever they do with it. Think it was a pair of the larger sub w. megawoofer. Saw the VLA in rosewood once, it was sick. Someday...

For the amp you may well be right, my buddy often wants to go completely nuts and I have to talk him back into the realm of sanity. Loves shopping on my behalf with my checkbook. He got me the RM2s when I was living in a tiny apt in NYC and couldn't open the bedroom door all the way with the speakers in the room.

Regarding the RM2s, they need repair or new cabinets not really sure which. Looking at them head on, the seam where the front meets the side is separated as a result of a moving mishap. Still work fine and all seals intact. If a buyer wanted to go the new cabinet route I am fairly certain we could strip them and ship just the electronics to save what I imagine would be a tremendous amount of weight and expense. I was quoted $600 for delivery of those Elixir's from Vegas, so cannot imagine it would be too much if someone wanted to go that route.

Stimpy

« Reply #531 on: 25 Feb 2016, 02:26 pm »
VMPS RM 30 Ribbon Monitors - Sound Amazing But Have Cosmetic Damage  -  (Salt Lake City, Utah)  $1800 or Best Offer

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VMPS-RM-30-Ribbon-Monitors-Sound-Amazing-But-Have-Cosmetic-Damage-/172113239744?hash=item2812bf9ec0:g:~P0AAOSwx-9WzdzX

"This auction is for a pair of VMPS RM30 Ribbon monitors. They sound amazing but do have cosmetic damage. One speaker is missing a screen and the other the stand is loose but works. I really don't want to sell them but I am doing this for a friend. The original price is around 3500 to 4000.  Please feel free to ask questions and I will do my best to answer them.

Get out the review in .stereotimes....speak091204"

Stimpy

« Reply #532 on: 26 Feb 2016, 06:13 pm »
STILL AVAILABLE  -  $1000 CA Dollars  $740 U.S.

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/ele/5457172705.html

VMPS 626 Jr SPEAKER 626jr speakers vmps626jr - (Canada - Vancouver)  $1000 CA Dollars  -  $727 U.S.

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/ele/5335453057.html

"Ribbon planar midrange speakers with great warmth and upgraded carbon fiber woofer for a nice deep tight punchy bass. Vmps626 jr Adjustable tweeter and mid cross-over. The crossover adjustments are in back as pic showes. Compact speaker or HUGE bookshelf? :) have receipt and box(only 1 , sorry)...FIRM"

Stimpy

« Reply #533 on: 28 Feb 2016, 09:17 pm »
REPOST & PRICE DROP

VMPS Audio Subwoofers (2) both - $290

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/ele/5461896695.html

VMPS Audio Subwoofers (2) stereo/HT -  (Encinitas/San Diego, CA)  $450

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/ele/5179583591.html

"These were made in the late 90's and at the time were state of the art. They still sound amazing in their price range. Both are 8ohm 12' drivers in well built black cabinets, in good working condition. They can be driven with between 20-250 watts each. Included is an electronic crossover."

Stimpy

« Reply #534 on: 1 Mar 2016, 06:27 pm »
High end audio gear - (N.Naples, FL)

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/col/ele/5467820946.html

Emailed for additional info & pictures

Update:

"I was going to build new cabs as a summer project - I have everything but cabs, I also bought new ribbon tweets from vmps/ Cheney right before he passed -thanks"

"Time to sell off excess audio gear - need to pay for new purchases.
North naples near Sams club

Krell resolution 3 speakers with 28" 4 post steel stands- 1200
Totem Amber integrated amplifier , sinew power cord, metal remote, manual - 1200
Transparent ultra power block-350
Altec flamenco drivers excellent - 806a &511 horns, 416-16z with 800 crossover - green drivers- 800
B&w cdm 1nt speakers- 500
2 high end speaker cables bananas and spades -150
Straitwire digital rca's - 100
Classe audio thirty pre and seventy amplifier with remote - 600
Klipsch reference 7 - rf-7 speakers 2 pair - 1500
Long high end power cord - 100
Atlantic tech-7.1 speakers 500
4 Subwoofers-m&k , velodyne cht-10,phase tech 8",infinity bu2 - 250
B&w 601s2, lcr 60 s3 -300
Pure AV-100
Arcam dv78-75
Vmps tower 2 parts -100

Jbl ll820 speakers 150
Jbl jc2 center speaker 100"
« Last Edit: 2 Mar 2016, 01:21 am by Stimpy »

Stimpy

« Reply #535 on: 1 Mar 2016, 06:55 pm »
VMPS non powered Subwoofer pair  -  (Dover, New Jersey)  $300 ea. BIN

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VMPS-non-powered-Subwoofer-pair-/322023866063?hash=item4afa1e3ecf:g:j74AAOSwuAVW1QV~

"For sale a pair of VMPS subwoofers. One unit was scratched on the top during moving years ago & I had to change out a broken terminal. They need to be refoamed. I will supply a refoaming kit if you'd like to try your hand at it. They have awsome bass. I played the 1812 overture on them and they didn't bottom out once. They weigh about 100 lbs. each. They have a 12 in. woofer and 15 in passive woofer. They're good to 19 hz. Thanks for looking."

Stimpy

« Reply #536 on: 2 Mar 2016, 09:09 pm »
REPOST & PRICE DROP!  Get 'em while they last!  -  $5000

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/planars-vmps-rm-x-elixir-classic-vmps-rm-x-piano-black-with-trt-caps-and-silver-wire-2016-03-02-speakers-89178-las-vegas-nv

REPOST

VMPS RM/X Elixir Classic VMPS RM/X Piano Black with TRT caps and Silver Wire  -  (Las Vegas, NV)  $6500

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/planars-vmps-rm-x-elixir-classic-vmps-rm-x-piano-black-with-trt-caps-and-silver-wire-2016-01-23-speakers-89178-las-vegas-nv

"Theses are in non smoking home/dealer visit my website www.vegasimageaudio.com and/or call 702-249-4592. These will be at RMAF Vegas Image Audio room 577 Atrium 5 if you'd like to hear and pick up in Denver. These won best of Show in 2003 and were a collaboration between the late Brian Cheney of VMPS fame and the late James Bonjiorno Ampzilla, Gas fame. There were only 17 pairs made and weigh in at 385 lbs each. I will send pics and buyer responsible for all paypal and shipping charges please no low ball offers as I will not respond. I can deliver within 250 miles of Las Vegas and/or 250 miles of Denver RMAF. I can send pics on request these were serviced by Brian Cheney himself and have all upgrades plus a new carbon fiber woofer."

SHOW COMMENTS

"Walking into the Vegas Image Audio room made one thing obvious. Roy Insco brought the toys with him. He brought all the toys with him. Looming over the room like Darth Vader’s stereo was one of only seventeen pairs of the hallowed VMPS RM/X Elixir. The masterpiece of the late Brian Cheney, with input from the late James Bongiorno, the RM/X was the belle of the ball more than a decade ago. Unlike so many fashionable speakers, though, the RM/X has aged very well. A half-dozen of the dearly missed Monsoon planar elements line up the front of a curved baffle. A flexible ribbon tweeter tops the pile. The base is bass, with big ass drivers and big ass passive radiators. The whole shebang may look like it belongs in Darth Vader’s bachelor pad, but the sound is wholly modern, nimble, and full. As far as unobtanium goes, these things are the audio equivalent of a supercharged Cord 812. You can’t have them. You’re just not cool enough to have them. The other stuff in the room? That’s fine. You’re cool enough to have them...

...I honestly forgot to keep notes about what we were listening to here. So did Kirsten. I remember that it was jazz, that it was familiar, and that I had to sit down. This was a system that specialized in palpability. Piano came across as natural, with no timing errors, and no shortage of proper resonance. It was very close to what I always imagined I’d find in a mythical SET-powered SoundLab. In other words, it was probably worth the cash."

John Casler

« Reply #537 on: 3 Mar 2016, 02:35 am »
REPOST & PRICE DROP!  Get 'em while they last!  -  $5000

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/planars-vmps-rm-x-elixir-classic-vmps-rm-x-piano-black-with-trt-caps-and-silver-wire-2016-03-02-speakers-89178-las-vegas-nv

I have heard these MANY times, including the night Brian tuned them for Roy.

Great Sounding, and with w TRUE Free Swinging Tweeter.  In fact the FST Tweeter name came from the RM/x.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #538 on: 3 Mar 2016, 03:06 am »
WANTED 2 Neo panels.

Get the speakers using similar mid panel, sold as a desk top system with sub.  Sorry forgot the name.  I can rebuild the input terminals.  Maybe $100/set on flea bay.  Someone else here will know the name. 

Beware there are high and low impedance panels, and the sensitivity was higher on the desk top set IIRC.  The impedance affects the xo pole.  You can compensate for the difference. 

Are you guys who own the neo panels seeing physical deformation of the magnets and/or diaphragms?   

PMAT

« Reply #539 on: 3 Mar 2016, 03:13 am »
Monsoon. There are a couple pair in SF Bay Area CL ads now.