VMPS Speakers For Sale...!

Stimpy

Re: VMPS Speakers For Sale...!
« Reply #480 on: 21 Dec 2015, 05:23 am »
VMPS 626R with FST, OXO and more  -  (Sandy, UT)  $1,499.00

https://app.audiogon.com/listings/monitors-vmps-626r-with-fst-oxo-and-more-2015-12-20-speakers-84093-sandy-ut

Pictures 'borrowed' from the Web.  Audiogon pictures wouldn't copy.  Sorry.

"Up for sale is my pair of VMPS piano black gloss finish
626R, with VMPS's black stands and exterior top of the line crossovers, and
virtually every option imaginable.  I believe these were built around 2007
and cost north of $3500 new. Visit the VMPS discussion board at audiocircle.com
info and details. I'm not much of a photographer, so these pics have glare,
and show more finger prints than is typically visible by the eye. Probably the most tricked
out 626R around.  Amazing base!

FST (Full Swinging Tweeter) option

- Neo midrange panel operating from 280hz-6.8khz

- Latest version of the megawoofer upgrade with heavier magnet (identifiable by
the bullet phase plug instead of blunt version)

- Piano black MLS 1" cabinets

- CDWG (Constant Directivity Wave Guide) grilles

- Standard grilles (if you don't care for the CDWG sound)

- Upgraded on speaker wave guide

- Matching external crossovers/stands - you can bypass the oxo and go direct if
you prefer an active xover (stands are filled with bags of sand which I'll
leave in place for local pickup only)

- Sonic Cap upgrade in the xover

- Bolder Silver wiring throughout including umbilicals

- SR-71 and Blackhole internal sound damping options

They are in excellent condition, though there are some slight blemishes on the
finish here and there (light scratches, smudges etc.) and a small chip on the
top back edge of one speaker. There's nothing that detracts from their great
appearance more than a few a feet away (see pictures).

I am the third owner and have the original boxes. Buyer pays actual shipping
and insurance cost (which likely won’t exceed $100). Paypal is OK, I’ll cover the fees.
Local pick up is preferred; I’m in zip code 84093.

I'm finally getting around to selling these after upgrading to the VMPS RM40
more than a year ago. As a point source, for imaging, the 626R are superior.

Great speakers."

Stimpy

« Reply #481 on: 21 Dec 2015, 11:45 pm »
VMPS RM40 Audiophile Speakers  -  (Franklin, Wisconsin)  $2500 OB/$3500 BIN

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VMPS-RM40-Audiophile-Speakers-/281891464710?hash=item41a20a6606:g:h58AAOSw1S9WeIFs

"Listing my VMPS RM40 audiophile grade speakers. If you are not familiar with Veritone Minimum Phase Speakers, they were founded by Brian Cheney in 1977 and produced amazing high-end speakers until his death in 2012. The RM40's listed here won best of class in the high-end audio category at the Consumer Electronics Show in 2002. I have seen the term "statement piece" used a lot lately to describe speakers. These my friends, ARE a statement piece! They are nearly 6 feet tall and weigh 240lbs...EACH! They have a big presence, both physically and sonically. They boast the upgraded 10" WCF (Woven Carbon Fiber) Megawoofer lowbass and 10" WCF midbass from the acclaimed FF3 SRE; along with a 8" down-firing passive radiator, four 8" Neodymium midrange ribbon panels (166Hz to 10 kHz) and a FST ribbon tweeter (flat to 25 kHz). These speakers are consecutively numbered and have all the upgrades including TRT caps, 12 gauge internal silver wiring and the beautiful Macassan Ebony cabinets. These speakers have adjustable midrange and treble controls located at the rear of the speakers, for fine tuning them to your listening environment and preference. Original retail on these was $5000 with the upgrades pushing that to over $7500. Overall condition is excellent with only a few minor scratches. The original grills are included and are also in excellent condition. These speakers do not come up for sale very often and even more rare is finding them in the mid-west as most dealers seemed to be more concentrated on the east coast. I had the opportunity to acquire these a while back and have really enjoyed them. However the wife has "suggested" I need to downsize my audio collection. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or if you need additional information or pics. These would make the perfect Christmas gift!!"

Stimpy

« Reply #482 on: 22 Dec 2015, 12:33 am »
REPOST & PRICE DROP  -  $800

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Two-VMPS-Speakers-626JR-/131681973558?hash=item1ea8db7536:g:VqsAAOSwI-BWPSSS

Two VMPS Speakers 626JR  -  (Clayton, California)  $899 OB  -  $1175 BIN

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Two-VMPS-Speakers-626JR-/131646496655?hash=item1ea6be1f8f:g:VqsAAOSwI-BWPSSS

"Two VMPS Speakers 626JR. These were only played about 2 hours. They are still in the box. Purchased in 2008. They are in like new condition."

Stimpy

« Reply #483 on: 22 Dec 2015, 12:46 am »
Veritone VMPS Speakers  -  (Santee, CA)  $1 (?)  Best Offer?

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/msg/5364142607.html

Not Much Info...!

"make / manufacturer: Veritone
model name / number: VMS
size / dimensions: 21.5" x 17.5" x 50"

Stimpy

« Reply #484 on: 24 Dec 2015, 06:08 am »
VMPS RM-40 TRT Speakers  -  (Chicago, IL)  $2000

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/ele/5372636610.html

No Pictures

"VMPS RM-40 speakers in excellent condition. TRT upgrade and Cherry Flambe finish. Priced for quick sell due to move.
Prefer local pickup as these are large speakers but will work with you if you arrange shipper to pick up and crate them."

Stimpy

« Reply #485 on: 26 Dec 2015, 12:16 am »
Vintage VMPS Dedicated Subwoofer !!  -  (Colorado Springs, Colorado)  $295  BIN

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/201507953234?item=201507953234&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466&rmvSB=true

"Fully tested and functioning properly!
 The vertical edge of the fabric on one edge has noticeable wear as shown  in the pictures.

We try our hardest to give 5-Star Service by giving Clear, Accurate and Honest descriptions to the best of our abilities. We also clearly state our return policies and shipping terms upfront so you know what to expect.

If you are pleased with this transaction, please respond with all 5 Stars! If you are not pleased for any reason, Please contact us using the Contact Seller link on the auction page, and we'll try and make it a Five Star Sale!

Sales within the State of Colorado Will have State and local tax applied where applicable.

We take care to pack your items professionally, therefore items can take up to 7 days or more to ship after payment has cleared when we are backed up.  Typically it is only a couple of days after but it does very through the seasons.  If there is a critical need for immediate shipping (24 hours from time of payment, Monday through Friday), please let us know immediately after payment has been made."

« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2016, 10:49 pm by Stimpy »

Stimpy

« Reply #486 on: 26 Dec 2015, 12:29 am »
VMPS Veritone Minimum Phase Speakers RM40  -  (Hawthorne, CA)  $1400

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/for/5371681913.html

"VMPS Veritone Minimum Phase Speakers RM40 I have the set of 2... with marble plates for the bottoms... Rare... Feel free to txt me your offers

$1400 obo"

Stimpy

« Reply #487 on: 27 Dec 2015, 05:32 pm »
VMPS Tower II speakers  -  (Highlands / W 28th Ave, CO)  $575

http://denver.craigslist.org/ele/5375548700.html

"I am moving soon and cannot take these with me. These are some of the best speakers you will ever hear. If you are reading this you are probably familiar with VMPS speakers. I will miss them but I need smaller speakers since I'm moving so much. Cabinets are in very very good shape.

Foam is relatively new and intact on all woofers. Downward firing passive radiators are mass loaded which you can adjust to suit your space if you'd like.

Great speaker set."

Shear Bliss VMPS

« Reply #488 on: 28 Dec 2015, 02:32 pm »
This pair of Tower II appear to be un-matched ... two Left speakers!

Stimpy

« Reply #489 on: 28 Dec 2015, 08:16 pm »
This pair of Tower II appear to be un-matched ... two Left speakers!

I've seen that happen.  Especially if the speakers get bumped, or turned on their side, when being shipped!     :duh:    The drivers will slide around,
and then become misaligned.    :lol:    It usually doesn't hurt the sound; it just looks weird!!!    8) :thumb: 8)

revg1952

« Reply #490 on: 28 Dec 2015, 08:37 pm »
Hear Bliss is correct. Being a former VMPS dealer and have sold a few pairs of the Tower II's. they both are either lefts or right side speakers depending on how you set them up. They are not mirror image pairs. But they are still great speakers and can be upgraded to better drivers; especially replacing the piezo tweeters.
RevG 

Stimpy

« Reply #491 on: 31 Dec 2015, 12:16 am »
STILL AVAILABLE

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-VMPS-Dedicated-Subwoofer-j509-/201494051432?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Vintage VMPS Dedicated Subwoofer !!  -  (Colorado Springs, Colorado)  $275  BIN

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-VMPS-Dedicated-Subwoofer-j509-/201491050690?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368[url

"Fully tested and functioning properly!
 The vertical edge of the fabric on one edge has noticeable wear as shown  in the pictures.

We try our hardest to give 5-Star Service by giving Clear, Accurate and Honest descriptions to the best of our abilities. We also clearly state our return policies and shipping terms upfront so you know what to expect.

If you are pleased with this transaction, please respond with all 5 Stars! If you are not pleased for any reason, Please contact us using the Contact Seller link on the auction page, and we'll try and make it a Five Star Sale!

Sales within the State of Colorado Will have State and local tax applied where applicable.

We take care to pack your items professionally, therefore items can take up to 7 days or more to ship after payment has cleared when we are backed up.  Typically it is only a couple of days after but it does very through the seasons.  If there is a critical need for immediate shipping (24 hours from time of payment, Monday through Friday), please let us know immediately after payment has been made."

Stimpy

« Reply #492 on: 5 Jan 2016, 05:32 pm »
7 1/2 ft home speakers  - (Ocklawaha, FL)  $1500

http://ocala.craigslist.org/for/5385691063.html

"VMPS executive high tower home theatre speakers with amps and wiring.
(New they were over $20,000   :o :o :o)"

revg1952

« Reply #493 on: 5 Jan 2016, 09:45 pm »
Stimpy. I appreciate you bringing all of these VMPS ads to the AC circle. Sadly most of these sellers are merely misinformed or blowing hot air. The beautiful pair of Super Tower III's  was never $20k a pair. Just Google the review in TAS Sept 1991 Issue 73. it's 78 inches tall and went for $5200.oo a pair. And after delivery of  a few pairs yes there are quite heavy. I wished I lived closer, they are tempting to buy. I don't know about anyone else; Opinions are subjective, but facts are facts; and I believe in Truth in Advertising.
Thanks again for a good job Stimpy.

Rev G

Stimpy

« Reply #494 on: 6 Jan 2016, 03:15 am »
Stimpy. I appreciate you bringing all of these VMPS ads to the AC circle. Sadly most of these sellers are merely misinformed or blowing hot air. The beautiful pair of Super Tower III's  was never $20k a pair. Just Google the review in TAS Sept 1991 Issue 73. it's 78 inches tall and went for $5200.oo a pair. And after delivery of  a few pairs yes there are quite heavy. I wished I lived closer, they are tempting to buy. I don't know about anyone else; Opinions are subjective, but facts are facts; and I believe in Truth in Advertising.
Thanks again for a good job Stimpy.

Rev G

Thanks Rev G.  I appreciate the kind words.  And, my pleasure.    :D

Also, I have to laugh when I see the unsubstantiated "Retail Prices" that some ads contain.  Just crazy this OP ever thought that the III's were $20K.  If Brian were still here with us, I'd like to see his reaction.  Plus, I'd love to see what type of a $20K VMPS speaker Brian would market?  That'd really be something!

Oh yea,

I wish these were closer, as I'd be interested as well.  Just a little too far, and with my back giving me fits, I'd never be able to move them!    :cry:

revg1952

« Reply #495 on: 6 Jan 2016, 04:08 am »
Amen Brother, I would curious to see what Brian would have these days in that price range. The most expensive was in Approx 1998. I think we both know about the price range of most speakers.

revg1952

« Reply #496 on: 6 Jan 2016, 04:09 am »
$21,900.00 Even the last creation B.C the RM50  was way less than that at $14,000.

Brax

« Reply #497 on: 6 Jan 2016, 04:16 pm »
WANTED 2 Neo panels.

Stimpy

« Reply #498 on: 6 Jan 2016, 04:47 pm »
VMPS FF-1 7.2 ch theater system  -  (Fenton, MI)  $3900

https://app.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-vmps-ff-1-7-2-ch-theater-system-2016-01-05-speakers-48430-fenton-mi

"Pictures available in ad."

"I have for sale a VMPS FF-1 7.2 ch theater system(speakers only). The system consists of 2 FF-1 towers, 1 FF-3 center speaker with stands, 2 Larger subwoofers, and 4 dipole surrounds. All of the subs, mains and center are in oak. The dipole rears are piano black. I have been loving this system for the last 12 years.... It is truly amazing and will not disappoint. dynamics and headroom for theater use is outstanding.... The FF-1 towers are also an amazing music loudspeaker. Extreme deep bass, very detailed midrange, smooth highs and incredible dynamics... I actually have a pit in my stomach writing this...However I have moved and the new house will not allow for them to be set up in a proper space...These speakers have all been upgraded to Analysis Plus oval 12 internal wiring and have sound coat and black hole installed inside the cabinets. The FF-3 is a tower loudspeaker that was custom modified for me by Brian Cheney to be used as a center channel with crossover modifications etc to match the FF-1 perfectly.... Believe it or not, Brian actually tuned these speakers personally for me.... As I worked at a local dealer for VMPS when they were purchased. He flew into town and set them up.. The Larger subs are spectacular in their response, and accuracy. I have wowed many people with this setup. There is plenty of info out there about the driver compliment of these models etc...The planar dynamic midrange panels in these are really incredible.... The speakers are big. Mains are 350lbs each... center is 300lbs. These pics are of the actual speakers installed in my theater..... You will notice the dipoles mounted to the ceiling in the rear... There are small holes in the cabinets from the brackets used to mount the dipoles to the ceiling... and the passive radiator on the center channel needs re foaming....It happened during the move unfortunately... its a 10" passive and an easy fix. NO possible way to outperform this setup for even double the money. I really hope they go to a good home.

Please be aware that you will need to pick up or arrange shipping for these. I will deliver this system to anywhere within 200 miles AFTER you have seen and auditioned the speaker, and I have received payment.

I will help organize shipping for you if you need. Pick up would be best though.... it will be pricey."

Stimpy

« Reply #499 on: 8 Jan 2016, 02:34 am »
Relisted with Price Drop!  $274.85

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/221988534231?item=221988534231&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466&rmvSB=true

VERY RARE VMPS -VERITONE MINIMUM PHASE SPEAKERS - WALNUT - PRE 1998  -  (Spring Hill, FL)  $450.00

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hdo/ele/5350668532.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VERY-RARE-VMPS-VERITONE-MINMUM-PHASE-SPEAKERS-WALNUT-pre-1998-/221963311393?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

"VMPS Loudspeakers
Hello you're looking at a set of Very Rare vintage VMPS ( Veritone Minimum Phase Speakers ) Speakers . VMPS was a division of Itone Audio , in El Sobrante California. VMPS was a basically a 1 man show ( Brian Cheney ) speaker company that lasted from 1977 to 2012 when Brian passed away . More information is below ,
They roughly measure 8 3/4 inches deep X 18 inches tall X 12 inches wide each

They seem to be from before 1998 since there is no ribbon tweeter.
Woofer surrounds have been replaced

NO STANDS ARE INCLUDED IN THIS SALE

Specifications :

VMPS 2 WAY Bookshelf Speakers

Woofer: 8 inch
Tweeter: 1 inch SOFT DOME w/adjustable gain

Cabinets: Walnut over MDF
Size: 18" x 12" x 8 3/4"-PORTED

Condition:
Cabinets: 8-8 1/2
Sound: 10+

Level Controls
On the rear of speaker cabinet, VMPS speakers included level controls to attenuate the sound level of the mid-range and treble (tweeter). These level controls were intended to be used in concert with PR mass tuning to achieve the desired overall tonal balance.
*Thank you for shopping with us.
*All items are in used condition with normal signs of wear unless other conditions are specifically mentioned in the description. If clarification is needed, don't hesitate to contact us.
*If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please contact us
*Payment is due using PayPal."

VMPS History, discussed in this Ad.

VMPS (Veritone Minimum Phase Speakers) delivered its first production run to dealers in January 1977. Since it started out, hundreds of competitors have come and gone. VMPS survived 35 years because it not only provided a good product at a good price, but give the audiophile something rare in today's marketplace: fullrange, floorstanding speaker systems with first-octave bass response, wide dynamic range, high sensitivity, and a neutral tonal balance suited to any kind of music (or home theater, for that matter) at prices that are a fraction those of other name brands.

It was Bert Whyte, late Senior Editor of Audio Magazine, whose April 1980 review ("Towers of Power") of the 198cm, 113kg VMPS Super Tower IIa/R put VMPS on the map, validating a unique design philosophy which emphasized full spectrum reproduction at intentionally, often spectacularly low prices. The STIIa/R, with its 16 active drivers including four of the most expensive tweeter extant, the Focal T120 harddome, retailed back then for a very affordable $3,876/pr.

VMPS aspired to the highest levels of transducer technology, sound quality, ruggedness, and cabinetry and are undaunted when it comes to spending the money necessary to achieve those high levels. Speakers were not priced to mislead the consumer, who naturally assumes price and quality are related. No automobile selling at Ferrari prices would dare offer VW performance, but that is precisely what is happening in many instances with audiophile speaker systems. Brian Cheney found such pricing practices a shame and a scandal, the cause of endless confusion and grief for music lovers who want the best but do not have six figures to invest in sound equipment.

The VMPS program included Subwoofers, all passive (i.e. no builtin amplifier), all quite substantial size and weight (the "Dedicated" Sub is the baby at 38kg), all requiring no equalization to pump out bass in the teens and twenties, and all easy to add to any system via the existing main amplifier and our optional Passive Crossovers, or via the biamp route with an outboard Electronic or Passive Crossover and a separate drive amplifier. Typically, the distortion of VMPS Subs is an order of magnitude lower than the competition. VMPS invented the slot-loaded passive radiator in 1979. It remained a feature in all VMPS Subs and Towers, a push-pull, high efficiency means of generating first octave bass with high input sensitivity.

VMPS was proud of its great reputation for solid, clean, extended bass in nearly every speaker it made. However, there is more to good speakers than just bass, although bass is the foundation of all music and a third of the keyboard lies in the bass range.

Year 1998 saw two new drivers arrive from VMPS that have never existed heretofore. The 190cm tall push- pull, transformerless, unobstructed, high impedance (6 Ohms), high output 100Hz ribbon panels in the acclaimed Special Ribbon Edition Super Tower III (see Anthony Cordesman's review in Audio Magazine Aug 98; the reviewer also purchased the system for his home) are nothing short of a new "Absolute State of the Art" (Audio). Matched up with the unique synthetic granite, quadruple 30cm woofer towers and 15cm free- swinging ribbon supertweeter, the SRE/ST3 is the best speaker you can buy at any price. This is no mere repackaging of a few hundred dollars worth of cones and domes costing megabucks: our system includes the speakers, outboard electronic crossover and massive associated power supply (one million microfarads!).
Veritone Minimum Phase Speakers
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
VMPS
VMPS Company Logo.jpg
Founded January, 1977
Defunct December, 2012
Headquarters VMPS was based in El Sobrante, California
Key people
Brian Cheney, founder
Products Loudspeakers
Website vmpsaudio.com
Veritone Minimum Phase Speakers, or VMPS, was a loudspeaker manufacture founded in 1977 by speaker designer Brian Cheney. Many VMPS speakers received favorable reviews from audio critics, such as the RM40, which was awarded Best of CES in the High-End Audio category in 2002.[1] VMPS was in operation for over 35 years, from January 1977 to December 2012, when it closed soon after the death of company owner Brian Cheney on December 7, 2012.[2]Design[edit]
The VMPS speakers employed phase coherent drivers (for best stereo imaging) by employing first-order "minimum phase"[3] filters and drivers wired electrically in-phase.[4] Such first-order filter designs typically do not provide adequate low-frequency attenuation for mid-range and tweeters. Speaker designer Brian Cheney viewed high-order filters as undesirable since they were not "minimum phase", meaning their phase response was not flat with frequency. He also avoided high-order filters because he believed they often required drivers be wired electrically out-of-phase and, in his opinion, had inferior stereo imaging.

Brian also believed direct measurements should not play a significant role in the design process or evaluation of a loudspeaker. Instead, speakers should be designed and evaluated based on how they sounded. In this sense, VMPS speakers did not follow a conventional design philosophy which strived for a "flat" frequency response within a set tolerance, e.g. ±2.5 dB. In Brian's belief, most listeners could tolerate moderate fluctuations in frequency response. Furthermore, such measurements performed in the laboratory (anechoic chamber) were a poor representation of the customer's listening environment, meaning a speaker that "measured flat" in the laboratory would likely never measure flat in the customer's home. Thus, he felt that flat frequency response was both unnecessary and practically impossible to achieve, unlike the vast majority of other speaker designers throughout audio history.

Brian approached speaker design like a musician, using his ear for primary feedback. Minimum phase filters and drivers wired in-phase were used because they sounded the best. This philosophy was directly expressed in the name of his company: Veritone Minimum Phase Speakers, which taken literally means: variable tone (or frequency) minimum phase distortion speakers (drivers wired in-phase with linear phase response). The choice of term "tone" (musician's terminology) over the term "frequency" (scientist's terminology) also may have expressed his belief that the musical characteristic of the speaker was more important than scientific measurement.

The most recent VMPS speakers were a three-way design that featured ribbon drivers for the mid-range and tweeter. The high bandwidth of the mid-range "Neopanel" complemented the use of first-order filters. Woofers were used for bass and mid-bass, along with a passive radiator or port for the 626 bookshelf model. The "RM" in the speaker name (e.g. RM40) stood for "Ribbon Monitor". The RM40, RM/X, 626, RM30, RM-V60, and RM-50, all used a "Neopanel" mid-range, and a modified Aurum Cantus ribbon tweeter, except for the RM50, which used a Hi-Vi ribbon tweeter. Woofers had woven carbon fiber cones and phase-plugs. The VMPS bass management system used one or more high-compliance down-firing passive radiators that was tunable by adding or removing putty from the diaphragm.

Passive radiator mass tuning, along with level controls for mid-range and treble on the rear of the speaker, allowed the listen to tune the sound of the speaker to their listening room and personal preference. Tuning of VMPS speakers was time consuming to achieve optimal sound and required some experience. Brian Cheney would frequently visit a customer's home, often at his own expense, to optimize the sound of the speaker system in the listening environment.

Neopanel[edit]
The mid-range "Neopanel" is 2.5" x 7" planar diaphragm (ribbon) using a push-pull motor with neodymium magnets. The Neopanel in the VMPS speakers is used with a first-order filter between 220 Hz and 7 kHz. The Neoplanel was originally designed by Bruce Thigpen.[5] This design was licensed to Level 9 and manufactured in Canada and later China and sold as Monsoon computer speakers[6] with a subwoofer. Brian Cheney stated he modified these panels to fix a mechanical flaw that made them unreliable.[7]

Constant Directivity Wave Guide[edit]
Brian Cheney invented and patented[8] a Constant Directivity Wave Guide (CDWG) to increase the horizontal dispersion of the planar mid-range and tweeter. The first generation CDWG was attached like a speaker grill to the RM30 and RM40 speakers. The CDWG consisted of an aperture (slit) with sound absorbing foam between the CDWG grill and front baffle. A second generation CDWG placed the CDWG aperture directly on the face of the Neopanel and ribbon tweeter.

Bass Management System
Most VMPS speakers incorporated one or more passive radiators (PR). To achieve optimal sound quality, the set-up process required the listener change the mass of the PR by adding or removing Mortite putty from the cone. This process changed the resonant frequency and "Q" of the PR and dramatically affected the sound of the bass. This allowed the listener to change the overall tonal characteristic of the bass and to compensate for the bass response of the particular listening environment.

VMPS's passive radiators used a unique high-compliance suspension and a low moving mass diaphragm to achieve a low resonant frequency. The low moving mass reduced the gravity sag of the PR cone and allowed it to be mounted on the bottom of the speaker cabinet and fire downward in a loaded slot. The slot acted as a low-pass filter to remove unwanted high-frequency sound generated by the PR cone. The low mass of the PR also meant it was very sensitive to small changes to the amount of putty (mass) on the cone.