Dave's Cables Interconnect Cable Tour (New Tour With Speaker Cables: Page 10)

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Hi Tom, thanks so much for the write-up... :)

Despite the arrows the cables are not directional, they are just there so you can keep track of what position you put them in. Others have noticed a difference in cable orientation but in my system it is a small difference. While there may be differences in sonics due to the way the wire is manufactured, upocc wire is not manufactured like a regular wire and does not sound much different one way vs the other when new, but the direction of burn-in can make a difference as well. In any case, run the cables which every way sounds best to you.  :thumb:

I also think my cables have a lot of synergy together which is why I did the tour with both cables at the same time... and the Zellatons are an ideal match for my speaker cables. I can build better cables but they would cost 3-4x the price of the copper litz cables. One other speaker cable that might work great for your system is a pair of 4-strand braids using the 20 gauge litz wire... it throws a wider sound stage but isn't quite as focused as the side-by-side geometry... depends on preferences and synergy mainly. I wasn't considering braiding the SCs but I made the power cords with braided geometry (see pic above) and that encouraged some experimentation.  :icon_twisted:

What kills me is how good the speaker cables can be with the right speakers, but they do not work with speakers using crossovers more complicated than 1st order!  :evil:  I am currently testing cables that do not have unfortunate reactions with passive crossovers for those that own such speakers...  :green:

As far as the D3s vs the Rethms, it is possible my D4s (at $975) would be a better comparison... they would also have the same synergy with the speaker cables, but offer quite a bit more resolution and are closer to neutral.

OzarkTom

Is tailspinrex still up next?

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Hi Tom, yes he is...  :thumb:

maxima95

Dave's Cables 11 ga. Power Cord, w/ Neotech Gold/UPOCC connectors (older version)

Dave was kind enough to let me listen to his 11 ga PC described above.

SYSTEM
(Transport) April Music Stello CDT 100 (DAC) Teac UD-501 (Preamp) BAT VK-3i
(Power Amp) Llano Trinity 200 (Hybrid) (Speakers) Gamut Phi 7 
(Cables)(Speaker) Morrow Audio; (Analog-RCA) Dave's Cables DD w/Duelund 2.0
(Analog-XLR) Shunyata Aries (Digital RCA) Darwin Silver Digital 
(Power Cords) Triode Wire Labs 7+; Lessloss DFPC Original;

Lessloss DFPC Originals were used on all components. The Triode Wire Labs 7+ was used on the power conditioner.  In lieu of the Lessloss, Dave's 11ga PC was used on the DAC (I haven't tried it anywhere else yet). 

Dave's PC sounds similar to his speaker cables.  There was a “liveness” to the sound throughout the spectrum, particularly the upper registers, that added an extra dose of realism.  Bass was nicely prominent and lines were clear and easily followed. The acoustic venue was easily discernable.  Images seemed a bit taller and staging a little wider and deeper.  Great speed, dynamics and transparency.  And it was smooth to boot.  When I swapped other PCs back in, I felt I was missing something.  I don't like missing anything; so I purchased this 11 ga PC.

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Hi maxima, thanks for the review!

The testing of the power cable is going well and I'd like to get a tour started... In about 2 weeks I will have a couple cables built, burnt in and ready to demo! I am very excited about these power cables as the character of the upocc copper litz wire comes through clearly, and while not inexpensive, it is some of the best copper wire I have ever used. I tried a lot of different copper wire to get a feel for how their characteristics come through when used for power cables, and I think this wire works better than anything else.

pfarthing

Hello Dave -- how are these Neotech IEC connectors and plugs on the power cords? Did you compare them against the Furutechs and Oyaides out there?

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
TBH, I haven't done extensive testing like I have on some parts yet, but I think the Neotechs are a very good value for a plug using upocc copper. The new bodies are a huge step up from their older model. Some of the more expensive models from other brands have nicer bodies, which can affect the sonics too, but they are much more money. I can order pretty much any connector you would want to customize the cable as well.

Also, these cables will come with gold plated AC plugs and rhodium plated IEC plugs as the plating makes a pretty big difference.

sounddog

Dave, thanks for allowing me to take part in your cable tour. Here is my review of the D3 ICs and 14-gauge SCs. First, a little background. My system includes: speakers - Salk HT2-TLs, preamp - Modwright LS100, amp -  Bryston 4BSST2, source - Cambridge Audio 840C CD player, current ICs - Kimber KS1116 and 1121, current SCs - Kimber 12TC. My wife is a classical pianist and, not surprisingly, we listen primarily to classical music. So the CDs we used most for the audition were: (1) piano - Chopin Nocturne Op. 48, No.2, with pianist Fan Ya Lin (an IsoMike recording entitled Emerging - spectacular sound quality and an excellent performance BTW); (2) choral - Ockeghem's Deo Gratias from Utopia Triumphans by the Huelgas Ensemble (Sony); and (3) symphonic - Stravinsky's Rite of Spring, Yoel Levi and the Atlanta Symphony (Telarc). The comments below reflect those of both me and my wife - we tend to have the same preferences, but she can explain what she's hearing in different (and more musically astute) terms than I do.

First, let me say that Dave's cables are a pleasure to work with - extremely well made, very flexible, and with high quality connectors. His cables were very listenable, with a bit softer/more relaxed sound than my Kimbers. The tradeoff, to our ears (more pronounced in the SCs than in the ICs), was that Dave's cables sounded somewhat less open/live/present than the Kimbers and with less detail (YMMV - we might be viewed as detail freaks and what sounds more present to us may sound too forward to you). For example, in the Chopin Nocturne the D3s had a lovely delicate sound, but captured fewer of the piano overtones and less dynamic color (my wife said the Kimbers allowed the piano to "speak" better and better transmitted the "core" of the sound). In the Ockeghem choral piece, the Kimbers seemed to allow more space around the voices, making each individual voice more distinct, and to better capture slight rhythmic changes and a greater dynamic range. The Stravinsky piece was a somewhat closer call, however, partly reflecting the strong (but not at all boomy or muddy) bass heard with Dave's cables. And we would describe the differences we heard as subtle, rather than dramatic.

While cost is not always a good indicator of sound quality, the fact that Dave's cables sounded as good as they did for about 35% to 65% of the cost of the Kimbers is a real testament to what Dave has achieved. Indeed, from memory I feel confidant we preferred them to several other well-known (and higher-priced) ICs we have auditioned in our system in the past, including Audience, Analysis Plus, and Wireworld. In fact, it made me very curious as to how his 11-gauge SCs and new D4 ICs would have compared in my system. Especially if you find your system too bright or prefer a slightly more relaxed or laid back sound, I definitely would encourage you to try Dave's cables.

Thanks, Dave.

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Thanks for the review sounddog! I appreciate you trying them and posting your thoughts.

I try to make the D3 pretty well balanced, so it is not unusual that some might find them a little too aggressive and others find them a little too soft/relaxed. More evidence that one size does not fit all and synergy and personal preference are the most important factors when building a system.

------------------------------------------------------

The D4 and it's companion speaker cables, which will be released with my new website, will be more appropriate for those looking for the highest levels of performance without as much regard to keeping them affordable. The D3 and copper litz speaker cables are designed to offer the best value possible in a reasonably priced package while the D4 + silver/gold speaker cables will be a lot more expensive and are designed to be the best value in the "price no object" category. And they are still priced around 3-5x lower than cables offered by most other companies. In the near future I will offer a tour of the D4 + OCC silver/gold speaker cable, I believe these cables will offer the best performance available in cabling today.

-------------------------------------------------------

In other news I have sent two power cables to AC member happyrabbit for testing, a 14g and 11g cable about 6' long, using the newest Neotech upocc copper connectors, one with gold plating and one with rhodium plating. The wire is my OEM 14g upocc copper litz, with ~1060 strands of individually insulated wire.

Please see this thread if you are interested in checking out the power cables:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=127233.msg1342427#msg1342427

skydog

Dave hi,

I've read all  threads  here and I think I  haven't come   across  mentioning  that Neotech wires are  deep cryo treated,  are  they?  What's  your oppinion on cryo treated or  not? 

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Hi skydog, and welcome to AC!  :thumb:

Almost all of the connectors I use are cryo'ed by Furutech or Neotech. The wire I use is almost exclusively UPOCC copper, silver or silver/gold alloy and these conductors atomic structure is formed in an ideal way during manufacture. However, I have not cryo'ed complete cable assemblies as of yet so I can't say for certain exactly what effect it would have. So much to do, so little time...  :green:

Thanks for your post and feel free to ask any other questions you might have.